Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Paris/Bourg St Maurice Jan 2022

Poster: A snowHead
Hello

I did try using search here and a google search, but either nothing turned up or the relative replies were pre-pandemic.

After having to cancel a trip using the Eurostar Snow Train in 2020 & 2021, I've decided to go to Les Arcs in January by taking the Eurostar to Paris GDNord and then taking a train from GDLyon. (I have booked London to Paris Eurostar to arrive in Paris at 1127 local, and departing Paris for London at 1903 on the way back.)

Looking at the current SNCF trains, it looks like a connection is needed, however I did see a really old Trip Advisor post that mentioned something about a direct SNCF service between Paris and BSM during the ski season. Does anyone have any knowledge of this? I'm also curious as to what the price may be for the return SNCF journey, and how frequently they run on a Saturday during January.

Thank you Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's some info here - http://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/ski-resorts/les-arcs - but it won't have next winter's times. There's a timetable change on 10 December I think, so final times aren't available yet. I'd expect there to be one or two options that suit your Eurostar times (depending on your dates I may be on one of them!) - possibly with a change at Chambery. You'll have plenty of time to cross Paris though.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 10-11-22 16:53; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whenever I have been in Moutiers / Bourg St Maurice station on a ski season Saturday (many years up to 2020) there have always been direct trains to Paris. So I assume the same in the opposite direction as well.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@oojafink, The trainline.com states "You’re a bit early
SNCF tickets haven't been released yet. Please modify your dates or check again at a later date."

Anyway chaging at Chambery is no trouble get off one train, wait on same platform and get on the other.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@oojafink, this thread will answer at least some of your questions:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=160015&highlight=
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We took the train from Paris to Bourg in March just gone. We had to change in Grenoble.
The whole thing was a pleasure. Nice countryside then mountain scenery. Grab a coffee. Have a snooze.
We’re doing the same thing this January and are looking forward to the train ride as a highlight of our trip.
Oh. Pay a few extra dollars for the first class tickets.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shouldn’t it be Jan 23 Puzzled
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

We had to change in Grenoble.

Are there any direct trains from Genoble to Bourg st Maurice? I thought you would have to change again.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i took the direct train from Paris cdg airport to moutiers (couple of stops before BSM) on a Saturday in December 21, it stopped at Marne le vallee which has links to Lille and Paris.

it did stop at Grenoble along with Lyon airport, Chambery and Albertville (where there was around a 20 min wait where the change changes direction onto the BSM line) but there was no change required at Grenoble.

it was all booked in a rush as i had to change my plans a couple of days before when Brits were banned from entering France that Saturday morning.

like @sbooker, i found it a pleasurable journey, watching the countryside go past, and excitedly looking out for the snow-capped mountains coming into view.

i would certainly do it again
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’m looking at booking the same Eurostar times it’s £88:50 return!!!
We’ve always managed a direct train from Gare de Lyon around 13:00 to bourg and by booking the 19:03 leaves loads of time to get back from the mountains.

If you book Les Arcs 1600 it’s a quick funicular straight up the mountain to get to resort. Ok with a walk at bourg of about 1/2 mile of train platforms but it’s so easy.

Husband fancies la Plagne this year, but part of me thinks sod it 1600 is so damn easy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Ok with a walk at bourg of about 1/2 mile of train platforms but it’s so easy.

There is navette
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Airlines may notify their schedule months/year in advance. You really cannot expect railways to do that.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's a journey I've done many times before and will be doing again in December and January (to Moutiers). I've also already booked my Eurostar and find it very frustrating that you can't book the SNCF section in advance.

You can sign up for an alert for when they become available and typically worth buying a SNCF Carte Avantage to get an extra discount.

More info on different trips and other train info here on Ski Flight Free: http://skiflightfree.org/tag/train-travel/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you so much everyone for your replies, which were all helpful <3 I am still waitint for the SNCF bookings to open for January 21-28 and have signed up for the notification.

I'm also now waiting for the discounted ski pass window!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lucywuk wrote:
We’ve always managed a direct train from Gare de Lyon around 13:00 to bourg and by booking the 19:03 leaves loads of time to get back from the mountains.

If you book Les Arcs 1600 it’s a quick funicular straight up the mountain to get to resort. Ok with a walk at bourg of about 1/2 mile of train platforms but it’s so easy.

Husband fancies la Plagne this year, but part of me thinks sod it 1600 is so damn easy

Cheers Lucy Smile I'll have my 22yo daughter with me and we will be in Bourg itself, not far from the funi, in an AirBnB I found. I did Les Arcs once before and didn't make the trip to La Plange. Is it worth getting whatever pass gives a day out over there?
snow report
I am not sure as it depends on you as a skier. We find we deffo need the whole pass as we like racking up the miles. For the additional cost it’s worth it.

In the end I booked via Travelski and an all in package. From st Pancras, straight to bourg. Transfers to Belle plagne. Apartment (we wanted a real bedroom so went a bit bigger) lift passes and skis. (And means 8 days skiing) for about £1900.

When I costed out passes approx £700, accommodation approx £650, trains about £300, it seemed a good deal as includes transfers, skis, direct train and an extra day skiing
ski holidays
oojafink wrote:
Thank you so much everyone for your replies, which were all helpful <3 I am still waitint for the SNCF bookings to open for January 21-28 and have signed up for the notification.

Are they doing discounted lift passes this season?
ski holidays
@Kenzie, i saw something on facebook earlier that said 10% off for purchases between 3-18 November on the La Plagne website.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10228624077934839&set=gm.5526944374009722&idorvanity=116846678352879
snow conditions
Lucywuk wrote:

Hi Lucy. I've just had the RailEurope alert for travelling from Paris to Bourg and back on Jan 21st/28th. The price for the 21st is over £158 for two people, direct train leaving Paris @ 13:22, and the return on the 28th is £213, direct train leaving Bourg 09:47. So £371 for two people return. Does that sound right to you??
latest report
Kenzie wrote:
oojafink wrote:

Are they doing discounted lift passes this season?

Yep Smile "Happy weeks" discount is now live. https://www.lesarcs-peiseyvallandry.com/en/happy_weeks
snow report
@oojafink, if you haven't already booked, have a look at the SNCF Carte Advantage - you pay 49 euros, but it knocks 30% for you and a companion. https://www.sncf.com/fr/offres-voyageurs/cartes-tarifs-grandes-lignes/carte-avantage-adulte
latest report
ShakiraShakira wrote:
@oojafink, if you haven't already booked, have a look at the SNCF Carte Advantage - you pay 49 euros, but it knocks 30% for you and a companion. https://www.sncf.com/fr/offres-voyageurs/cartes-tarifs-grandes-lignes/carte-avantage-adulte

Merci Smile Will check it out!
snow conditions
ShakiraShakira wrote:

Hey silly question perhaps. But do I have to book via the SNCF wesbite to use the card? I was looking at RailEurope and when going through the booking process, there seems to be no way to apply the Carte Advantage discount to the booking. I only ask as the SNCF site is a little confusing!
snow conditions
@oojafink, I used trainline - there's an option to enter your railcard details and it calculates it all.

I haven't used Raileurope in a long time, so don't know how it works (although I seem to recall SNCF own it!)
ski holidays
Tickets all booked Smile

It looked like it was going to be £371 but with the SNCF Carte Advantage tip (thank you @iainm & @ShakiraShakira) the total price (including the Railcard) came down to £295 for my daughter and I.

Essential ski passes also booked via the Happy Weeks promotion, for £545 for the two of us.

Thanks again everyone for your help! What a great forum <3
ski holidays
ShakiraShakira wrote:

It also caps the maximum fare for the journey, which can result in a greater than 30% saving compared to without the card, and the cap remains in place regardless of how late you book. For journeys over 3hrs, the second class fare is capped at 79eur.
snow report
So the cap is the total you will pay and not a cap on the discount (eg max discount of 79 euros on journeys over 3 hours?)
ski holidays
kettonskimum wrote:
So the cap is the total you will pay and not a cap on the discount (eg max discount of 79 euros on journeys over 3 hours?)

"€79 incl. VAT: Maximum guaranteed ticket price for a trip over 3 hours in France in second class on a trip with no connections" - I read that as a cap on the ticket price, once any discount has been applied.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We're booked in at the Goatshed in Peisey again - late Jan/early Feb. Normally we travel down overnight (pre Covid on the snow train direct from St Pancras, last year changed in Paris and got the TGV from Gare du Lyon).

Just looking at train times for '23 and there don't seem to be any overnight TGVs from GdN to BSM. Anyone know what gives...? I'd assume that as the day timetables are up, the night ones are too and they've simply stopped running overnight trains?

A bit of a pain in the bum, as we used to be able to game the trains to get 8 days skiing for 6 nights accommodation!

Thanks, CJ
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy