Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where in Austria 19 to 25 Nov 2022

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowhead friends,

I'm in between jobs so can squeeze in a cheeky trip so have been looking into where is good, with the current snow base and potential snowfall. I like groomed piste skiing, solid Intermediate, happy on Blues, Reds and will give some easy Blacks a go. I've checked webcams and a couple of snow apps. Here's what I can determine.

Hintertux: looks like the glacier is good - will it open up more lifts and runs by 19th (I hope so)
Solden: looks like it's just glacier, doesn't seem to have much snow elsewhere. I'm guessing that chances of it opening up to the town by 19th is low.
Gurlgl: looks like their snow making machines are in overdrive, filling up the pistes ready for opening on 17th.

Gurgl looks like the best bet from what I can see. But I'm no snow forecasting and early season expert. I'm a mid-season vet of 5 trips. I think I could do 5 days ski-ing there without getting too bored, could go over to the Solden glacier if I wanted a change. There might be a bad weather day in the 5 days, so I thought this will probably be good and I'd be happy just to be out there to be honest

Any suggestions of where would be good? All helpful tips are welcomed Madeye-Smiley

Airport wise, thinking Lon to Inn then drive/transfer.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If Innsbruck then maybe Stubai? I think theres also a FIS event around that week
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Obergurgl is almost certainly your best option. There is no new snow on the horizon currently but maybe there will be a sudden change. Dont expect any powder or off piste.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'll be at stubital that weekend on an ortovox training course. I'm hoping for a bit of snow to still be up there for a tour
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I haven't been skiing myself this season yet, but word from friends is, quote "Conditions: don't go if you don't have a season pass.…" and that was the day after the last mini-dump. Unfortunately it doesn't currently look like more than a couple of flakes will fall before the 19th, so I think it's unlikely any of the glaciers will open much more terrain.

Obergurgl is normally a really solid bet for mid November but they must be getting a bit desperate... The proper hot weather is past so it is at least cold enough to blow snow at night, but already now at 9am it's above freezing on the mountain there...

If you have time 'cos your between jobs and the budgets not an issue then absolutely why not - a couple of days skiing is better than none - but I'd also look into what else you can do because there are more things than scratching around on half a glacier for 5 days in a row. Biking has been amaaaazing out here atm for example. Or at least try a few different glacier areas for a bit of variety.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rent a car and find an accommodation somewhere in Imst. Then you could drive to Sölden (theoretisch von 17.11 you can go with the lifts till the Glacier), Obergurgl, Pitztal, Kaunertal.
It will be not boring, and you could choose according to weather, snow etc
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
All good suggestions, thanks.

I'm between jobs and this is the only window I have. My late pal said YOLO, do everything you want so I'm thinking about just doing it. All going well, I won't be inbetween jobs for a long long time. I'm normally a half term family tripper which is great and all good fun, this window gives me a chance to go and explore.

It does all look a bit warm still, it might change and cool down a bit by 19th. Or, given whats happened this year in the summer, maybe all normal rules won't apply and it will still be warm.

Studying the webcams this morning, Obergurgl looks like they have enough snow cover on the pistes from the snow makers.

Solden looks like it has a bit more snow, but I agree I don't think much of it will open up anytime soon.

I bought a 2nd hand Specialized Stumpjumber earlier this year so some biking would be a good plan C. I'd be up for that, but I would be going slow down the mountains Laughing

A glacier tour sounds like a good idea and a plan B.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There looks as if there will be some snow overnight Wednesday into Thursday but then a period of mild & dry weather with maybe some proper snow around the 18th. As always with forecasts that far out it is pretty uncertain. The webcams at Obergurgl look suitably white this morning but it is too warm to run the snow canons. It is certainly perfect bike riding weather at the moment.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snowheeeed, you do know that Obergurgl and Solden are on the same skipass and there is a free bus connecting them?
I would pick Obergurgl if the price is right
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes I do and thanks. I’ve done a good bit of research and now looking at the finer details for convenience such as ideal base based on current snow, future snow, snow making, how many Kms and pistes might be open.

Obergurgl has 90% piste snowmaking coverage (if it’s cold enough). Sounds like it reduces risk of no snow by a fair bit.

The trek over to Solden looks long if only the glacier is open and none or few of the lower slopes are open. That said, in 12 days time, maybe the snow fairies will work some magic. Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Definitely.
November skiing is Solden was only on the glacier the 2 times I was there, the 2nd time we took the bus was due to bad visibility above Obergurgl while Solden's webcams showed nice conditions.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
if Gurgl is open (elevation from 1.800 and above) then there will be some lift/slopes from Gigijoch heading to the Glacier in Sölden (elevation over 2.000 m)
Of course you would have to take the lift to go down to the village.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
A glacier tour sounds like a good idea and a plan B
Definitely recommended if you have use of a car snowheeeed.This time last year, we stayed in the Stubai Valley (apartment in Fulpmes). From there, we skied at Stubai Glacier and did a day trip to Pitztal Glacier too.

After that we moved to the Zillertal (apartment in Finkenberg) and skied at Hintertux. Here's my trip report - inc. photos - from the time https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4852177&highlight=pitztal#4852177

All of the above glaciers are decent enough for a couple of days' skiing - especially if (like Mrs MA and me) you just love being in the mountains; consider any time at all on snow as a bonus; and you are pushing the YOLO philosophy Smile

We also skied at Sölden Glaciers in May this year and really enjoyed a couple of days there too. Add the possibility of Obergurgl into the mix and you'll be spoilt for choice wink Definitely enough to entertain you for four or five days. Or if you fly to Salzburg, you've got Kitzsteinhorn Glacier at Kaprun too.

Make sure you let us know how you get on Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fingers crossed for Obergurgl, we are going for a few days for season opening on 17th. Ive done this before and it was great but I must admit I am a bit nervous for how much skiing we will get this year. Its much warmer late on. The resort seems to remain confident that it will be happening and there is always Solden. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hochgurgl and Obergurgl are looking promising, snow making machines are back on, it's looking cooler with a little bit of snow forecasted. Gigijoch at Solden is supposed to open on 17 Nov too.

Some time in the mountain is better that no time. I just love being on a mountain. So I'm going to make the most of the time off that I have. YOLO!!!!!!

So, I've committed to a Hochgurgl, got an amazing deal for a boutique hotel that delivers you to the piste via what looks like a 'Great Glass Elevator' that they call the SnowCab Laughing Check out the video

http://youtube.com/v/cJQX8ldn5JU

It's probably a great deal because of this inconvenient ride, but I'm looking at it as a novelty. There could be a morning rushhour backlog from the 30 or so rooms to deal with Confused Still, food and hotel looks great and it's half board so all I need to do is think about skiing Smile
snow conditions
@snowheeeed, now I am tempted too. Can you please give more details about that offer?
The hotel has very positive reviews.
snow report
@drporat, for me it was 105 Euros per person per night Shocked

All rates look quite reasonable for what you get https://www.wurmkogel.com/de/hotelinfo/preisliste.html
ski holidays
@snowheeeed, definitely. Looks impressive
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy