Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboarder becomes Skier - Boot Help Please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I know this might be a turn up for the books for some people but I am a snowboarder who is now learning to Ski.

My girlfriend is a skier and we are going to Meribel in December and she said the conditions were awesome a couple of years ago.

Anyway, I am looking at kitting myself out with some boots, I don't really want to break the bank, I am a size 9/9.5. I think in Ski boot size language that's about a 27.5. I also have quite a wide foot which is usually quite annoying to buy normal shoes. Can anyone give me any good advice/tips of what to look for.

I have found some dalbello dx 12 for a reasonable price but not sure if they are suitable.

Thanks in advance for any help you give, it is very much appreciated.

Thanks
Dan
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dan, welcome to snowheads, you have three main choices

1) Go to a top quality boot fitter ( recommendations will not be long coming on this forum ) pay top money and get a pair of boots that will fit well and last you a good few seasons
2) Rent boots in resort, at least if they do not fit you can keep taking them back to the shop till you get a pair that are ok Cheap option if one week a year.
3) Go somewhere like Decathlon and try on loads of different boots and hope you get lucky picking a pair that fit and are comfortable and fit properly.

Most people seem to buy boots that are too big for them when they start out skiing coz they feel comfortable.

For example i have wide size 10-10.5 Uk feet, i started with my first boots with a Mondo size 29.5, i now wear a Mondo 28 boot, They are Head Edge 11's which are quite wide and i still reckon i could squeeze down a half size smaller.

I have promised myself for my treat next year to go and see CEM ( who is on Snowheads ) at Solutions for feet and do option 1.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 27-10-12 18:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Short answer: go see a bootfitter.

Long answer: you'll find out soon enough when this thread gets to around the 5th page wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do not buy online. To figure out your mondo size, measure the length of your bare feet in centimeters. But boots will have a certain reserve since they also need to accommodate the liner, so when trying boots on you can try those with a smaller stated mondo size. The best would be to go and see a bootfitter, or rent for your first week to see what works. Then see a bootfittter. Or if you are lucky with rentals (some people are) you can then shop online for the same model in the same size.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It doesn’t really matter what the size is or the fit .... Ski boots are always uncomfortable.
That's why the best moment of the day is when you take them off.

If I were you I would just concentrate on the colour, if you get that right you’ll ski much better.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DrLawn,

Top advice and Red Boots definitely ski the best wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dan.tolgyesi,
Seriously ...
Rent in the resort from a shop that has a good boot fitter, and ask them if you will be able to buy the boots at the end of the week.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Timbobaggins,
My best pair were yellow!
I'm on dull silvery grey ones now .. they would co ordinate with my hair if I had any.
I'll have to unbutton my shirt.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DrLawn,

I tend to find yellow are more a GS boot
My Red ones are definitely All Mountain
Silver boots are more your cruise around blue's on a Mark Warner guided/hosted pensioners type ski Very Happy

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 27-10-12 19:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
hi all,

thank you all for replying so quickly, good to be on a forum with lots of enthusiasm.

I am only really looking for second hand for this pair and I will build myself up to new ones when I get a bit better, (probably my next ski holiday). These DX 12 Dalbellos I have found are indeed Yellow and are a really good price, anyone know what flex they might be?

Cheers
Dan
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dan.tolgyesi,

Are they the ones on a well known auction site at the mo, per chance wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Timbobaggins,
Quote:

Silver boots are more your cruise around blue's on a Mark Warner guided/hosted pensioners type ski

You've been following me around haven't you???
How did you know about the Marky Warnery guided tea dance on the table at the Lazy Kangoloo?

To tell you the truth I've only used them in Hemmel Fridge so far:

But it will still be great to take them off at the end of the day, one at a time, let each steaming boot fall to the floor, if I smoked I'd have a cigarette at that stage.

see:http://reviews.snowandrock.com/5162-en_gb/NRD0058K1/nordica-nordica-fire-arrow-f4-reviews/reviews.htm
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dan.tolgyesi, you'll be far better off renting in a decent shop than buying a completely unknown quantity off the internet, especially as you say yourself your feet are not exactly "standard". A good shop will have a range of boots for you to try.

You might hate skiing and never want to strap on a pair again.

Quote:

My girlfriend is a skier and we are going to Meribel in December and she said the conditions were awesome a couple of years ago.

as with investments, past performance is no guarantee of future results.... wink

The key to your success will be getting the right instructor - plenty of advice available here, from people who know that area.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
plenty of advice available here, from people who know

And there'll be at least as much advice offered by people who don't. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Timbobaggins,

As you well know, the colour doesn't affect how "good" boots are, but the red ones are the fastest wink
snow report
Quote:

And there'll be at least as much advice offered by people who don't.

Laughing I'd say that, when it comes to recommending ski schools/instructors, there's not much duff advice on SHs.
snow report
Quote:

And there'll be at least as much advice offered by people who don't.

Laughing Actually, I'd say that, when it comes to recommending ski schools/instructors, there's not that much duff advice on SHs.
snow conditions
Dan.tolgyesi, Don't buy unless you try, seriously. Most of the time it's wasted money, no matter how cheap you bought them a waste is a waste. And it may also cost you a ruined ski day after which you will go to the rent shop and will end up spending more money. It's an old model as well, maybe 12 y.o. Leave it. There might be someone who skied this model before and for whom it's the right fit and the right flex, they will buy it eventually. Good bargains can only be found when you know exactly what you are looking for, otherwise you are taking a chance with the most important piece of equipment.
snow report
Dan.tolgyesi,

Looks like ..... "the computer says no"

The only reason you should bid on them is if you want to start your own hire shop.

Come to think of it I bought a pair on eBay earlier in the year that didn't quite fit. (I'm a sucker for that sort of thing) ... And the colour was crap as well!
snow report
DrLawn,
Quote:

The only reason you should bid on them is if you want to start your own hire shop.

haha, this is me:) I have a few pairs that don't fit (good thing I bought them all at half price or even less on sales). But when I have friends visiting and take them skiing they don't need to rent, they just take a pair from my "supplies". I have enough skis for a hire shop too:)
snow report
Timbobaggins wrote:

Silver boots are more your cruise around blue's on a Mark Warner guided/hosted pensioners type ski Very Happy

Mine are silver and I do MW ski hosting Sad

HELP ME.

To the OP, I have very wide feet and a high instep and had ill-fitting ski boots for years. The local ski shop did their best to get them to fit me but I think I just have weird feet.

The (silver!) Atomic LiveFit 80s I have now I bought after researching the best boot for my foot and going and asking for them! They are wonderful, but probably by luck more than judgement. In hindsight, if I'd gone to a proper bootfitter in the first place, it would have saved me from years of discomfort as well as saving time and money.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy