Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bucket List - What's On Yours?

Poster: A snowHead
I recently watched the film The Bucket List (Jack Nicholson), which I quite enjoyed.

Which got me thinking....I've been lucky enough to tick off a few things that I've always wanted to do (eg Inca Trail, skiing in Chile and catskiing in Canada) but what ski/mountain type stuff would I put on my bucket list? (ie dream list of stuff to do before I die.)

Rules are simple: Even if it's presently unaffordable barring a lottery win, it can go on there - as long as it features a snowy or outdoor/mountain activity (and excludes the obvious stuff like 'Girls Aloud and a hot tub' Toofy Grin ).

So here I go (in no particular order) with my top 10:

1. Heli skiing at a luxury Canadian wilderness lodge.
2. Heli skiing in Kamchatka, Russia.
2. Ski touring in Antarctica.
3. Mountain Bike Tour of Mont Blanc.
4. Ski in Argentina.
5. Climb (or ski tour) up Mont Blanc.
6. Climb Kilimanjaro.
7. Spend a season in the Alps.
8. Trek in the Himalayas.
9. Ski bottomless powder in Japan.
10.Stay at the Gornergrat Kulmhotel, at 3000m above Zermatt.

So it's over to you! You don't need a list of 10 - that's just what I came up with.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Live long enough to write and achieve bucket list....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
To become the skier I aspire to be.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd like to do more trekking in Nepal, and also visit Patagonia.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Your list is 11 entries long. NehNeh

Megamum has the best goal though as it's one you can never really attain as it keeps shifting.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pedantica, OK, if you are going outside skiing I will too - I'd like to scuba dive, swim with dolphins and gallop a horse along through the surf on a warm evening in the sunset!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd like to go skiing on my 50th birthday, which is going to be very tricky since it's the end of July. Maybe there is a glacier somewhere that can oblige me. It's not until 2018 so I have some time to figure it out...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
1) Live in a chalet in Val d'Isere
2) Ski epic powder in Japan
3) Do a backcountry/catskiing course in Canada
4) Have a season's solid one-to-one tuition so I become amazing at skiing
5) Ski Corbet's couloir (without sideslipping in)

Is this topic meant to make me feel better or depressed!?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
queen bodecia, It's ski season in New Zealand in July, Start saving, or ask everyone to chip in as your present. Hmmmm that's given me an idea for my 50th.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mountainaddict wrote:

9. Ski bottomless ...

i think all 10 of my list include this phrase ...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum wrote:
Pedantica, OK, if you are going outside skiing I will too - I'd like to scuba dive, swim with dolphins and gallop a horse along through the surf on a warm evening in the sunset!

Shocked Funnily enough... I did all those 3 this Summer in Australia...and they were all on my list of things to do.

Scuba Dived on Barrier Reef and I surfed with Dolphin's and once next to a whale ( freaked myself silly ), and the bareback horseriding was done on the beach in the morning...not organised, just randomly met someone on the beach doing said, and took up there offer to fulfill my wish.

Also added two sky dives, Bungee jump from worlds tallest, snorkling with Manta Rays and Turtles, Flew a Helicopter, Flew a small plane, Whale Watching, Learnt to Surf ( still crap at it ) and got to Ski in NZ.

Want to ski in Japan, Chile and Argentina.
Eventually Get my level 3 Instructors qualification.
Go to watch the Hahnenkamm.
Go Heli Skiing.
Drive an F1 car.
Learn another language fluently.
Eventually settle down in the Mountains ( still haven't found where i want to settle yet ) with the woman of my dreams. Razz

And always continued good health and happiness. Embarassed
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mountainaddict, ..saw the film and enjoyed it. But I'm more woody allen than jack nicholson:

'...I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve it by not dying...'

But my short list

1 never wetting myself when dropping in
2 have a photographer say '..do it one more time, but with a bit more style...'
3 float effortlessly through endless powder and never-ending forest
4 ski anything at La Grave without dying
5 never forget the year I spent skiing with my six-year old
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
queen bodecia, easy , Ski in Argentina/Chile (that would be one of mine too).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I want to impress my family.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In no particular order 1. Race slalom like I've a vague idea of what I'm supposed to be doing.
2. Finish a G.S. race and know I nailed every turn and can't do it better without a miracle.
3. Learn to ski powder properly.
4. After 3. Do it in Japan with my sons.
5. Take Mrs briand6868 to Lech (or similar) and live it up for a week - or so.
6. See the big smile on mini miss briand6868 when she does her first red run.
7. U.S.A. road trip for however long I feel like it - with the lads !!
8. Spend a season following the World Cup tour.
9. Full briand6868 family trip - take over a chalet - grannies,granddads,the lot.
10.Get my Dad,(68 and skied once but loved it), down "his" blue run in Rauris with style.
snow report
Ski stuff:

- 3-4 weeks in Japan (hoping to tick this off 2013/14)
- 3-4 weeks in Gulmarg/Himalayas (inc a heli day) (hoping to tick this off 2014/15)
- 3-4 weeks in Canada, somewhere a bit off the beaten track - Red Mountain or similar maybe? Couple of days at Monashee Powder Cats and/or Micah Heli too
- 3-4 weeks in South America, not quite sure where yet though...
- A week touring from the hut used in the Arlberg 'Hike2Ride' video
- Generally a lot more touring around here, lots to explore
- Find a 'proper job' here in the Alps, that pays for a nice lifestyle but still with plenty of skiing (thinking teaching, teachers only spend 20hours a week in school here, and other work/marking/preparing can be fitted around skiing)
- Live in the Arlberg (somewhere down the valley, not St Anton itself)
- trip to La Grave
- trip to Cham
- Spring touring around the Norwegian fjords - boat to the bottom of mountain, skin up, ski down other side to rejoin boat
- Do a more 'expedition' type trip to somewhere completely off the bat, and un-explored ski wise. Pakistan? Mongolia? Parts of China or Russia? Needs more research...
- Build my own utterly impractical and uncompromised pure powder ski, called the Poseidon (Master of the Deep)

Would love to get a mountain guide qualification, not sure it'll ever happen though.

Other stuff:

- Kayaking in Norway
- Kayaking in Chile (and/or Mexico)
- Kayaking in BC, including a self-supported multi-day trip
- Kayak in Oregon - Little White Salmon looks like an utter playground!
- Kayak the Zambezi (before it's damed in 2016)
- Kayak in Val Sesia, Italy - hopefully this Spring
- Kayak New Zealand
- Kayak the White Nile (again)
- Kayak the Nevis, Scotland - bloody hard to catch it at a good water level!!!
- Kayak Iceland
- Kayak Nepal
- Kayak somewhere completely new (to kayakers), expedition style - parts of China..?
- Get into paragliding
- Get into kitesurfing
- Get into MTB (really should, considering the trails 5 mins form my flat)
- Spend a summer surfing/kayak surfing somewhere like Morroco or Sri Lanka (or similar)
- Recreate the Top Gear vietnam scooter/motorbike trip
- Own an old (original) Mini Cooper and Land Rover Defender

Plenty more ideas too...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 15-10-12 22:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
clarky999,
Quote:

Spring touring around the Norwegian fjords - boat to the bottom of mountain, skin up, ski down other side to rejoin boat

If you do that you'll be on the opposite side of the mountain to your boat Very Happy
snow conditions
robapplegate, Boat goes around! I wouldn't be driving it - someone else can do all the hard work while I either ski or put my feet up.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 16-10-12 0:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
robapplegate,good thing he'd have left someone on the boat to sail around and pick him up Wink
latest report
I stand corrected. Worth a try though Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:
Your list is 11 entries long
.... OOPS!! Laughing
snow report
Quote:
I'd like to go skiing on my 50th birthday, which is going to be very tricky since it's the end of July. Maybe there is a glacier somewhere that can oblige me.
Yep - Tignes for one. Here's what it can be like in late July - the 25th in 2011 (Edit: wrong year posted originally...) to be precise Very Happy: July is fairly decent most years.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 15-10-12 23:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Speed flying......affordable and courses available.
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
I'd like to go skiing on my 50th birthday, which is going to be very tricky since it's the end of July. Maybe there is a glacier somewhere that can oblige me.
Yep - Tignes for one. Here's what it can be like in late July - the 25th in 2011 (Edit: wrong year posted originally...) to be precise Very Happy. July is fairly decent most years.

snow conditions
mountainaddict, wow, that looks awesome! Very Happy
ski holidays
See the Northern Lights
latest report
robapplegate, snowball, nice idea but assuming I still have the same job, long haul is not possible, especially in summer. However Tignes certainly has potential... Very Happy
latest report
I can afford all that stuff ONCE. What I can't afford is doing them all repeatedly every year!

So, my bucket list has only 1 entry:

- Ski well enough so I enjoy every day on snow, wherever the destination, and whatever the condition!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am having a good year;

-Been to see my first grandchild in Canada
-Seen the northen lights
-Been ski touring and heliskiing with my daughter
-Been backcountry canoeing in Finland and Canada
-Done another season in Chamonix
-Finished a two year project doing up a house

Need to do some work on a new list.
snow report
queen bodecia, you can come out here and do some of the motor bike tours this area is so famous for - we can hire a Harley for you if you want from Munich. Cool

Then on the day, we can all meet up at Hintertux which is open all year with a variety of red and blue runs and drink champagne (or Crémant which I have in plentiful supply) at the top of the Gefrorene Wand at 3250m or take the lifts on the other side to 3268m and sit in the snow between the Olperer and Große Kaserer. Then come back to my village and have a slap up meal at my local before partying all night because it is so warm and balmy outside! Toofy Grin
snow report
Samerberg Sue, that sounds amazing! I didn't realise Hintertux would be open then, what a fabulous plan! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
I have done one week of Heli-skiing in Canada (which on green principles I felt a little guilty about) where we were unlucky to have breakable crust everywhere above the tree line. Despite the guilt I want to do Heli skiing in Alaska where the snow allows steeper skiing - though almost half the flying days are lost from bad weather, so it is risky.

I want to ski in Chile/Argentina.

I would like to ski the Japanese powder.

I want to do more steep skiing at the top end of what I have done already (I don't want to go much further into the fall-and-die area than I occasionally do now.). It is a while since I felt that thrill of slight fear before entering a slope. Unfortunately some of my skiing friends are winding down a little and no longer finding that thrilling. Partly it is the technical challenge of skiing near the limit of what I can do. I want to ski it stylishly, not just get down it somehow.

I'd love to do at least a part season before I get too old but don't know how to persuade my non-skiing wife who accepts me going off and doing 3 weeks per year now - but that's about the limit.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 16-10-12 13:05; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
I'd like to go skiing on my 50th birthday, which is going to be very tricky since it's the end of July. Maybe there is a glacier somewhere that can oblige me. It's not until 2018 so I have some time to figure it out...

I achieved this Very Happy at the PSB in LDA in 2008 - but it's a little easier when your birthday is at the beginning of November rolling eyes
My bucket list includes flying in the Grand Canyon.
latest report
Interesting that in 30 posts no one has mentioned Alaska, definitely high on my list. Or do people think the Canadian Heli / Cat stuff is just as good for less money?
snow report
Quote:

A week touring from the hut used in the Arlberg 'Hike2Ride' video

clarky999, +1

Watched it again on Sunday evening just gone, awesome eh? I have the contact details of the guy who runs the hut so its deffo on my list and will be doing some more intel work on it this winter with some guys I know in the area. Will let you know by PM if I get decent info. Cycled it in summer again and took loads of photos up there, maps dont do it justice, thats one of my favourite places and skiing up there would be the best.............dont know if I'm good enough though to do it justice! Cool
ski holidays
snowrider, You havent seen my list then................... Those helipad boats and skiing Alaska will be on it.....Warren Miller stylii!
snow report
I don't really have a specific list, but I'm working my way through things I want to do when I see them.

This weekend's Cambrian Rally was one, next year I hope to do the whole series..

Skiing-wise, I'm doing a week off-piste in Cham which is up there...
latest report
snowrider, Alaska was on my list (see 2 above yours)
No, you don't ski really steep slopes in Canadian Heli. I did the one I was told did the steepest (based in Stewart, near the Alaskan border) and it wasn't very (I regularly ski more exciting slopes in Europe with a guide - though obviously much less vertical per day). I chose it because they lost fewer days flying, through bad weather, than Alaska, so it was a compromise.
See a few images here (click)

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 16-10-12 14:35; edited 5 times in total
latest report
clarky999 wrote:

- Build my own utterly impractical and uncompromised pure powder ski, called the Poseidon (Master of the Deep)

Classic. TM that sharpish.
snow conditions
The usual suspects which have already been mentioned -

Alaska; Kamchatka; Gulmarg; boat skiing trip in the Norwegian fjords; Jackson Hole

and

Skiing on the seven continents - Africa and Antarctica to go
Long European road trip over the course of a winter - Iceland to Turkey

and no. 1

skiing chest deep, Hokkaido powder in the Brecon Beacons National Park and off the top of Snowdon.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy