Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Post Covid PCR tests

Poster: A snowHead
After a quieter Christmas than intended, we're newly recovered from thankfully mild covid. Does anyone know what the status is with PCR tests? I understand that any PCR tests might give a false positive for around 90 days, and that we can't get the free tests in Britain. How does this affect the pre-flight / in resort tests? Does anyone have any experience of this?

We've not got any holidays booked at the moment, but 90 days does push us very close to the end of the season and it would be good to have more choice of dates.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Pen Eira, you would only need a PCR once you were back in the UK at the moment. Pre-flight and in-resort ones for most people are just the lateral flow type.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Pen Eira, @Hells Bells, depends where you are going, PCR required to enter Austria atm.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Chris_n, ah, that must have changed recently?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hells Bells, Boxing Day I think.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It looks like a recovery cert might be accepted instead of a PCR for Austria. We'll know more after this weekend.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Tom Doc, from https://www.oesterreich.gv.at/en/themen/coronavirus_in_oesterreich/pre-travel-clearance.html
Quote:
The obligation to bring a negative result of a molecular test with you or a medical certificate confirming such a test does not apply to persons who have recovered from COVID-19 and can present a medical certificate in accordance with Appendix H or Appendix I. The obligation to self-isolate, however, remains.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Third thread I've posted this in now so sorry for the repeats, but I think it's still relevant here in case it was missed elsewhere:

clarky999 wrote:
Supposed to fly back to Innsbruck at 7am tomorrow, just got my pcr test from yesterday back - positive. Dammit!

Looks like I'll be staying in the UK a bit longer then...

FWIW, I had corona in Oct 2020, had a negative pcr test on 17th Dec, booster on 18th, day 2 test (on arrival) in the UK on the 18th was negative, from that evening I felt pretty wiped out for 4 days but assumed it was just a reaction to the booster - backed up by 3 negative lateral flow tests during to make sure. As I don't have symptoms now I'm now thinking that must have been 'proper' covid though which is still showing up on the pcr. Have only seen a couple of family members who had (and continue to) test negative on lateral flow (apparently no NHS pcr tests left in the area to double-check though!), and the only other people I've been anywhere near was 10 minutes in a supermarket a few days ago.

Suppose it could be a false positive though Puzzled

Just got the results of my NHS pcr test from yesterday (30th dec) back - negative!

I have no idea though whether it is more likely that my positive result from 28th Dec was a false positive, or if I have now recovered sufficiently to not show positive on PCR tests.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Tom Doc, a word of caution - a recovery certificate is enough to get you into Austria, but regardless of your vaccination or recovery status, unless you can present a negative PCR you face a mandatory quarantine for 10 days with the option of testing to release on day 5 because you've come from the UK which is currently defined as a virus variant area. If you are still showing positive by PCR on arrival, you could be in there for the full 10 days.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ousekjarr wrote:
@Tom Doc, a word of caution - a recovery certificate is enough to get you into Austria, but regardless of your vaccination or recovery status, unless you can present a negative PCR you face a mandatory quarantine for 10 days with the option of testing to release on day 5 because you've come from the UK which is currently defined as a virus variant area. If you are still showing positive by PCR on arrival, you could be in there for the full 10 days.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. If my PCR is positive and that hasn't changed we'll not travel. Thanks.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ousekjarr, something of a problem for those of us fresh out of covid, particularly if a pcr is likely to show positive for some while after we're clear. I've been trying to find more info on how a 'recovery' letter might look and how i might get a local, overworked nhs gp to provide one.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@nickH, It has been posted elsewhere : https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=153006&start=6280 :

that - A positive PCR test appears on the NHS app as "recovered" after 10 or 14 days
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
missed that, thanks@albob,
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All the information i can see on https://nhs-digital.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb says that the Covid pass will be restored 10 days after testing PCR positive.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes, your vaccine certs and a recovery certificate QR code appear 10 days after registering a positive PCR.

I had a positive PCR on 15 December, and my QR codes (in mixing the recovery one) reappeared on the evening of the 25th.
ski holidays
@nickH, you still need a negative PCR to travel to Austria.
ski holidays
@Pen Eira, this will all depend on which country you are flying to. Some countries let you skip quarantine + testing requirements if you can prove you recovered from COVID in the last 14-180 days. They basically see it the same way as a negative PCR result.

Others have mentioned that this is not the case for Austria.

I've recently recovered and can confirm the NHS app, under travel, now shows two QR codes for my two vaccinations and then the positive PCR QR code to illustrate recovery from COVID.
latest report
Thanks all for those really helpful replies. As I said we haven’t got anything booked, but it would normally be Austria. But quite frankly at the moment anywhere with snow and lifts would be fine!

I’ve got my recovery marked on the NHS website, so that should be useful somewhere.
latest report
arrgghh, I'm panicking now.. I've posted a few times about this, recently recovered from Covid, and 16 of us due to go to Austria on Jan 22nd. I think about 5 of us have had it the last month.

Maybe I will book an NHS PCR this week and see if that's negative to give a better idea on if I'll be able to show a negative private test 48 hours before setting off for Austria.

It's quite a minefield!
snow conditions
I wouldn’t abuse the NHS PCR testing, unless you have symptoms. Let the people who really need a PCR test get one, slots are in short supply in my area.

Pay for a postal PCR test such as randox, it’s only £30ish.
snow conditions
Quote:

I wouldn’t abuse the NHS PCR testing, unless you have symptoms.

I'm 9 days out of quarantine, showing negative on daily LFTs (had another close positive contact on Christmas day, grr) and the symptoms have started again in last 2 days, sore scratchy throat, night sweats and feel like I have a cold, so it would actually be a genuine one. Don't know if anyone knows yet how soon you can catch it again. Fingers crossed though.
snow conditions
Quote:

Don't know if anyone knows yet how soon you can catch it again.

Good question - I've not seen any discussion about that.
ski holidays
micheleperry wrote:
Quote:

I wouldn’t abuse the NHS PCR testing, unless you have symptoms.

I'm 9 days out of quarantine, showing negative on daily LFTs (had another close positive contact on Christmas day, grr) and the symptoms have started again in last 2 days, sore scratchy throat, night sweats and feel like I have a cold, so it would actually be a genuine one. Don't know if anyone knows yet how soon you can catch it again. Fingers crossed though.

A positive PCR test this close to your original infection wouldn't tell you very much. Over 30% of people who definitely are recovered will test positive on a PCR after 30 days - the PCR will be detecting DEAD virus particles that your body is still shedding. It's very possible to get a secondary infection post-Covid though - I'm struggling through a chest infection ATM that I'm on antibiotics for
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Don't know if anyone knows yet how soon you can catch it again.

Good question - I've not seen any discussion about that.

You can theoretically catch it the very next day, especially if you're unvaccinated or if it's a different variant
ski holidays
Does anyone know the situation in regards to the Returning to the U.K. Day 2 PCR for those that had Covid recently (in our case November) and could potentially provide a false positive? Is there a proof of recovery scheme in order to be exempt from testing?
latest report
@Ozboy, I’ve not been able and to find any exemption. The gov website is quite clear that everyone entering the UK has to book and take the day 2 test. After that it’s in the lap of the gods.
ski holidays
@micheleperry said
Quote:

Don't know if anyone knows yet how soon you can catch it again

It may not be another infection - Mr Skitrack got C19 (we think) in the first wave. He has since had re-occurring bouts of Covid-like symptoms. We've never had a positive PCR or LFT test.

These reoccurring bouts can be a sign of long Covid Sad

PS Yes nearly two years later he's still getting bouts
snow conditions
Ozboy wrote:
Does anyone know the situation in regards to the Returning to the U.K. Day 2 PCR for those that had Covid recently (in our case November) and could potentially provide a false positive? Is there a proof of recovery scheme in order to be exempt from testing?

There's no exemption from the Day 2 PCR. See the "Testing after your isolation period has ended" section of this page:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-stay-at-home-guidance/stay-at-home-guidance-for-households-with-possible-coronavirus-covid-19-infection
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy