Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hello! we know about winter tyres...

Poster: A snowHead
Tyres ordered Tuesday late afternoon, having ascertained Tyremens price was the best, delivered this Morning (Thursday) 10.45am, as tracked and let me know by email/text.
Fitted for £15.00 each by local tyre fitter at lunchtime.
Job done, bring on Winter Toofy Grin

Vredesteins x4 on car the for just under £550
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For the record. I bought tyres and wheels from Tyreman two years back and had them fitted at their place in Hull. The service was by far the best I've had at a tyre shop. Right down to using copperslip on the bolts. They really do know there stuff.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@boredsurfin, what about the spare? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@blahblahblah, Toofy Grin Spares never been on the road
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Tyreman, could I ask you a question please? I have Winter wheels for a 530d GT 225/45/18. Will they fit on a 335d x-Drive saloon. Considering changing cars but still a couple of seasons left in winter wheels and don't want to shell out got new ones. Thanks in advance
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dougie, if you know the exact production of both cars, you can check yoursef on here - realoem.com where bmw's catalog is available. I have not checked for your cars, but I would guess that wheels of 5 serries GT and 3 serries are different.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd like to run winter tyres on a new "toy" which is my some multiples the most expensive car I have ever had.

The trouble is it needs 285/35/18 and I cannot find any on any website, which is a bit odd since it is not a particularly rare car, A Merc SL55AMG and there must be loads and loads of them on the continent where winter tyres mandatory.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rungsp, Plenty of that size on mytyres (it is a German company).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rungsp, ask your Sandown MB dealer to quote, mine quoted the price of 4 from Tyremen for just one! Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rjs, @boredsurfin, I look on mytyres...put in the size and ask for winter/cold weather even all season....and get a clear "no tyres available" message on all of those.
Summer tyres they do have though.
Am I doing something wrong?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rungsp, i think the official recommended winter wheel/tyre combo for your car is

225/55 R17 97. On 7.5j x 17 rims.

I dont think you will get 285/35/18 winters, like i cant get 275/40 r18 winter for my s500.

Happy for someone to provide me with options though.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
scratch that statement, actually found some 275/40/18 winters on Blackcircles, also found some in Your size on http://lovetyres.com/tyre/Dunlop-Winter-Sport-3D/285-35-18
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tyremen - sent you email a week ago re winter tyres but not had a response ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wouldn't buy wider than 245 for a normal car. The wider you go the less grip you have on snow and sleet.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 16-11-15 16:20; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

did you use the message thing on their website? I found them very responsive.
Have new wheels and tyres sitting in my garage - was going to swap them yesterday but you know how it is...
snow report
backhojo wrote:

I didn't to a pm either
ski holidays
@backhojo, @Jake43, mail the site directly. I think the original Tyreman has sadly died, but someone occasionally looks in and does provide some useful answers. They may not actually be receiving the PM notifications if they have not reset the email address.
snow report
I had no problems when I emailed chris@tyremen.co.uk
snow conditions
Red Leon wrote:

I emailed that too. Done elsewhere now so not relevant to me any more.
ski holidays
Anyone have any good tips on how to change a 30kg wheel? I'd rather change the wheels of myself every Spring and autumn, but with a faintly dodgy back I do find aligning the tyre on the hub can be a bit of a struggle. Small car tyres are fine, but a Land Rover wheel is a pain. Any top tips?
snow report
Hi @Red Leon ... you must live quite close to me?
latest report
@foxtrotzulu, My wheels are not that heavy but I find them a struggle, being feak and weeble. I got the spare out a few weeks ago, to check it was OK and remind myself how to get at it (cage under the car) but I couldn't get it back in again, because having to lift it at a distance, right under the car. I get the summer/winter tyre change done by the garage (as the tyres are not on rims) but although I can change a wheel, and have done so not infrequently in the past, I was younger then! So I will be interested in the answers you get.

Chains, however, are a doddle - I can usually get two on, with bare hands, before losing feeling in the fingers. wink
snow report
@foxtrotzulu, Jack it it untill the tyre only just clears the ground. Then when refitting lean new wheel against hub, sit in front of it with a foot under each side of the wheel/tyre. Use your feet to help lift/maneuver the wheel and align the studs/bolts. As the hub is only just high enough it shouldn't' need much lifting.
snow report
@adithorp, Am I sitting cross-legged, or knees up like a rower about to take the stroke or how? I did see one vid in YouTube of someone demonstrating, but he's stuck both legs right out straight under the car and I'm not sure I fancy that if the jack fails for any reason.
latest report
DrLawn wrote:
Hi @Red Leon ... you must live quite close to me?

Indeed I must Toofy Grin

My life is spent variously in the great Metropoli of Biggleswade & Letchworth
snow conditions
@foxtrotzulu, Keep a small shovel in the car, standard for a Landrover anyway Very Happy , try and set the level of the wheel studs so that there is minimal lifting of the wheel, (you normally have to jack up if you have taken a flat off anyway), lean the wheel against the studs with the shovel under it so that it only needs lifting and holes and studs are in line vertically, one hand on the top of the tyre to stop it tipping and the other on the shovel handle, you can then wiggle / lever the tyre and wheel into place using the shovel as a lever until it sits on the studs / centre ring and you can get some studs in / nuts on. Works a treat with full size truck wheels which are a 50kg +. You are right about the legs under the car, definite no-no with a normal emergency jack. A good tip is to immediately put the wheel you have taken off under the sill of the car if you can and then if the worst happens you only have a damaged car if the worst happens.
@pam w, Does not help with putting it back in the carrier I know, personally I find that very difficult also but on some cars there is room to actually use the jack to lift the carrier and tyre up until you get the stupid clip on.
@adithorp, Sort of an adaptation of your method but the shovel underneath really does help.
snow report
@skitow, that's all really useful, thanks - especially putting the damaged wheel under the sill. I often have a big fat shovel in my car in snowy times and it could certainly be used as a lever. Normally putting the spare back in the carrier is not an issue - if I remove a damaged tyre it doesn't need to go back in the carrier till it's repaired/replaced. Somebody else can do that; my concern is being able to change a tyre by the side of the road as the light fades in the mountains.

I've not even thought about it in the past - I've changed wheels with no problem provided some gorilla hasn't done the wheel nuts up too hard. I don't know whether wheels have got heavier, or I've got weaker or both!
latest report
@skitow, I have just read out the bit about the shovel to my OH as he heads outside to put the winters on my car. He said thank you for that. He does have a fairly hefty jack to use rather than the ones that come with the cars.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, "provided some gorilla hasn't done the wheel nuts up too hard" Get yourself a piece of metal tube that will slide over the normal wheelbrace, obviously the longer the lever the better. I have a picture somewhere of a 16st (not me Very Happy ) man hanging on the end of a 10' bar trying to undo truck wheelnuts that some deranged person must have done up with the biggest air gun available.
latest report
@skitow, Excellent tips, thank you. The wheel changing I have in mind is when I put the winter wheels on, so at least I can do it on a decent surface and with a proper jack - not the one made of cheese they supply with the vehicle.
snow report
Jake43 wrote:
Red Leon wrote:

I emailed that too. Done elsewhere now so not relevant to me any more.

i used that email but no reply. will try direct from their website
snow conditions
@foxtrotzulu, I pay Kwikfit a few quid.
latest report
I awakened this morning with an average of roughly 11 inches of new snow locally. Hysterical in a schadenfreude way and simultaneously sad at the same time to as ever witness via local television media HUNDREDS of motorists who, "brilliant" and righteous as always sans snow tires within the morning drive who are now witness to their vehicle crashed, some bound for the hospital, too. The most egregious being the "invincible" 4WD gang. It's always "all-season" (summer) tires that are the culprit. Had these idiots done the right thing and purchased a set of snow tires (estimates that only 5% ever do) they would not be facing all which they are facing now. I always run a full set of (studded) snow tires, silly me.
latest report
@pam w, err just google kwikfit reviews
snow report
I like my local kwikfit and I've had no problem with their changing my tyres. I always get them to check my battery at the same time - and they tell me it's fine.

Fingers crossed.
snow report
I'm looking to buy new wheels & tyres from Tyremen but needed to find out the id-codes on my pressure sensor valves so that Tyremen could clone the codes for the new car. The garage where I bought the car said they couldn't do it, but my local Kwikfit did it in 5 minutes when I went in to ask if it was possible. Didn't even charge me for it.
ski holidays
The Car is insured with the AA. The winter wheels I'm going to fit are 17" OEM wheels - a size that is available as a no-cost option on the Qashqai. The AA originally wanted to increase the insurance premium as it's a "modification". After much debate over the phone they've now said that if I can get Nissan to confirm these wheels are OK then I can fit them for no extra premium. I'll not be renewing with the AA, they claim to care about road safety but they're completely clueless about winter tyres.
snow report
@Valkyrie,

This ABI list https://www.abi.org.uk/~/media/Files/Documents/Publications/Public/Migrated/Motor/ABI%20guide%20to%20winter%20tyres%20The%20motor%20insurance%20commitment.pdf

says the Co-op do not require policyholders to advise them when winter tyres are fitted.
The potential problem is the value of the new wheels - not the tyres per se
snow report
@Red Leon, thanks for that list, will help at renewal time. As most people fit smaller wheels when they're fitting winter tyres it's odd that the insurers worry about the value of the wheels. Who'd put more expensive wheels on for winter?
ski holidays
Just an update for completeness - AA eventually agreed that we could fit winter tyres without paying an additional premium. Wheels/tyres supplied by Tyremen arrived promptly, fitted with no issues and the car electronics picked up the cloned pressure sensors immediately.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy