Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Surfer`s Ear ( exostosis) A warning for snowsports.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This is a quite common ear condition that can affect those who expose their lug holes to cold winds and cold water; many GPs are unaware of it in my experience, which is a shame because it is completely preventable. I have just been diagnosed with it after 20 years of regularly visiting the doctor; I spent my summer childhood and teens in the sea or ponds, windsurfed in my early 20`s, and have worked outside all my adult life. In the last 5 years I have bodyboarded and skied on holiday for maybe 4 or 6 weeks of the year. I have always been a keen swimmer, and suffered repeated ear infections for the last 14 years. I am now 47.
If you are prone to this condition, when your ears get cold the area of skull around your ear canal compensates by gorging with blood; the wind creates a refrigerating effect, and bony growths begin to grow. These can completely block your ear, and trap water, leading to painful infections.Other symptoms are tinnitus, water failing to clear,constant irritation and deafness. In the worst cases the only solution is to drill and grind out the ear canal, having first cut the ear off at the back to allow access!! Nice! Feel free to google some pictures. I have found out that mine are already 90% closed.
The answer is to keep your lugholes warm, and wear ear plugs whenever you are in the water. If you or your kids spend alot of time in water, wind, and cold, please think about this as it is not pleasant, and you may not see the results for years . I can pm you the name of a fantastic custom earplug maker if needs be. Cheers Ears !!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Feel free to recommend insulating headbands to me , that will fit under a helmet ! Thanks for your advice Genepi; I think it depends on who carries out the surgery, and whether they use the traditional technique, or the newer less invasive one, judging by the people that I have spoken to. My consultant tried to reassure me that he had only had to operate once, so I told him that he was`nt going to practice on me for his second go !
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I too am 47 and have lived in/near the sea all of my life. When my GP (also a ski buddy) told me that I had a bit of 'surfer's ear', I was quite chuffed. Very Happy 47, with a surfer's ailment. wink Spearfishing is the one that lays havoc with my luggs, don't surf these days.
Not noticed any ear trouble on a mountain.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy