Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

stiffer boots

Poster: A snowHead
what brand/model would be a stiffer boot than the norm Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What are you considering the norm or are you just looking for the stiffest going? Pretty much every brand makes a range of stiffness.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i am just looking for stiffest going, gonna be used with skiboards/ 3 strap bindings
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Something like these http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/tracker-130/6207 or are you wanting even stiffer?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nooo not hard boots, soft snowboard boots Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ahh right, hopefully a darksider will along soon to help!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some of the top K2 boots are very firm and the Deluxe splitboard boot (now with a heel welt in the rear for crampons.)
32 focus boa or prime are others.
The k2,s are ufo or t1 although just go on the sites as sometimes they change the names yearly.
The stiff burton drivers and salomon malamutes are said too have softened in recent years or do vary from year to year.
The salomon malamute is adjustable flex in recent years the new one is a really nice bit of kit.
If you want some stiff Burton drivers I have some but see you are up north so a little hard to try them on pm for details if you are interested.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Deluxe Spark isn't actually super-stiff. The top-end Deluxe freestyle boot is noticeably stiffer.

I really do need to ask why you're even thinking about doing this though?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stevomcd, why not. Think it could be good idea
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://www.alpinecarving.com/boot_models.html
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
altis, its to use soft bindings on skiboards, not looking at hard boots
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Only going by the Whitelines buyer's guide (so not truly scientific) but here's a list of boots rated 7 or more in stiffness, taken from a scale of 1-10 with 10 being stiffest:

Burton Ion (8 )
DC Terrain (7)
DC Status (8 )
Forum Kicker (7)
K2 Darko SPDL (7)
K2 Thraxis (9)
Ride Hi Phy (7)
Salamon Malumute (9)
Salamon F4.0 (8 )
Thirty Two TM Two Scott Stevens (7)
Thirty Two Prime (9)
Vans Mantra (7)

I don't think the WL guide carries every brand there is and much of the feedback from test riders is personal so has to be taken with the appropriate pinch of salt. However, it's a guide nonetheless and at least narrows things down...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm pretty sure this has been asked recenty?

Here you go:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=90987

Though with slightly less helpful responses I see!

I'd say check out the Malumute if you can. I love the slightly softer Synapses I got last year.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Burton Driver's are stiffer than the Ion, they and the Salomon Malumute are generally considered to be the stiffest boots around, they also don't break down and lose their stiffness quickly
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Think it could be good idea

Puzzled

Sounds like a recipe for making the things even more unstable/unresponsive/generally stupid than they already are. If that's possible. Why don't you give these a go if you want something really ridiculous? http://www.dualsnowboards.net Laughing
ski holidays
I really wouldn't be wanting to do anything remotely ski like in soft boots. Split board touring would be bad enough. I had Malamutes a long time ago and while they were stiff for the first week or so they soon softened dramatically.
ski holidays
Try Northwave Domain SL the stiffest boot I've ever tried on. Exceptional boot and does not soften quickly from what I remember. I had Legends for 3 years and they felt brilliant even after 5 weeks. I only sold them as they always were a half size too big.
latest report
Sally Malamute stiffened again this season, Deeluxe Vicious too really stiff boots. Plese don't be scared of stiff SB boots, they will soften to your needs, there after the part that holds the foot will retain it's shape and precision for years to come. Buying soft or "Freestyle" orientated boots is false economy these boots are made to budget specs, not rider profiles.
snow conditions
Lizzard, have you ever used soft bindings on skiboards/blades. No....... move along numpty nothing to see
snow report
Lizzard, have you ever used soft bindings on skiboards/blades. No....... move along numpty nothing to see
snow report
graeme, I've never tried skiing in a tutu, and I can't see any reason to try out that rather bad idea either. Laughing
snow conditions
Lizzard, silly me, its a bad idea........ Lizzard said so
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
Sounds like a recipe for making the things even more unstable/unresponsive/generally stupid than they already are.

I guess that's the problem with "sounds like". Unless you've actually tried more responsive gear, you're at risk of sounding "stupid".

Sure, if your ambitions are sliding down rails in Milton Keynes then more responsive gear is probably a bad idea. On the other hand if you're riding the mountain, then maybe a little more control would help...
ski holidays
graeme FWIW.

I run Burton Ion HD's, older model.

Stiffest things I've ever stood in, for an afternoon. Within two days they were, IMO, about 60% (of original stiffness). Perfect, best boots I've ever owned.

'Stiff' and 'Snowboard Boots' is a relative concept, and as said, I'm not sure you'll find what you're looking for.
latest report
Quote:

I really wouldn't be wanting to do anything remotely ski like in soft boots.

Cross country ski boots are not stiff - even the ones made for skating, which offer more support. They need to be fast uphill (with lifting heels) which makes them unstable downhill - needs a lot of finesse, and even top athletes struggle to control them at any speed - you quite often see them falling, during races. philwig, I don't see how soft boots would make skiboards more responsive. Less responsive, more like, though nice and comfortable for doing the shopping.

If soft boots made skis more responsive, edge to edge, racers would wear them, wouldn't they?
snow conditions
FWIW I have used soft boots/bindings with Salomon blades in the past. I could carve turns as well as most people can on long planks. What I am doing now is upgrading that type of equipment. Better boards/bindings/ boots. I already have boards and bindings sorted, now needing boots
snow report
Double post

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 6-11-12 6:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
philwig, Think you've got the wrong end of the stick here - OP wants stiff boots for skiboards/blades
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How about:

http://www.alpcontrol.com/carac.html
snow report
Ride Insano. Just got them for splitboarding. Super stiff. Double BOA is nice. Tried Driver X's, but wore them after trying on the Insano's. No comparison in both stiffness or comfort, IMHO.
snow report
Insano is a great boot, can be a little fragile, liner especially, but as stated, light, stiff and pretty damn narrow.
ski holidays
CH2O wrote:
Insano is a great boot, can be a little fragile, liner especially, but as stated, light, stiff and pretty damn narrow.

Surprised to hear that you thought they were fragile. The boot has an Intuition liner, which is one of the best on the market. I also don't find them narrow. I have narrow feet, and remarked to the boot fitter that there was much more room in my forefoot than my previous Salomon F22s. With that said, I won't really know how they work out until I use them later this month.
ski holidays
boofit, The stitching at mid/rear of foot only,
snow conditions
thanks for the info everyone, opted for the K2 T1 boots.
snow report
snow report
graeme, sorry for my stupidity. i'm really interested in your set up. Are those snowboard bindings on blades? Is that some sort of approach ski set up? I was thinking about that a few years back as a budget alternative to splitboards. Or is it just for blading and because you prefer soft snowboard boots over ski boots?
ski holidays
No not blades..... Skiboards.
Lacroix titanal 110cm skiboards with rockerbindings. 3 strap snowboard bindings designed for skiboards. Its not an approach set up, just an alternative to hard boots.
ski holidays
Dude, admit it, they're blades. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Basically take all that's wrong with snowsports and put them altogether! Whammy
ski holidays
Can't be blades. Blades are Salomon produced
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy