Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste names

Poster: A snowHead
I'm always impressed when people can reel off countless names of things they've skied or what they've done in a day. I'm usually appalling at chalet boasting or even understanding what other people have done because my level of articulation is usually limited to "popped off the back of that lift" or "it was some red". Even in places where a little local knowledge is useful like Whistler I've never definitively pinned down where places like Christmas Tree or Millionaire's Ridge are though I might have skied them.

Do I have some unique kind of ski dyslexia? It's nothing to do with not being able to navigate or read terrain. If pushed in France for a piste name I'll usually just guess it was called Marmottes or Emile Allais. I can remember Pierre a Ric mainly because I have a vision of Status Quo being stoned.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Buy the Blaggers Guide - all you need to know for those Chalet moments Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can you read the map?Smile You can always check on the map afterwards where you skied and get the names from there. I am sure you would remember which lift you took to go up which is a good starting point.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, I never remember piste or lift names. Not at all. Even if I try to.
BUT
I love piste maps. I can stare at them for hours. While skiing I know where I am all the time, I can locate myself on the map with no problem.
I could still try to draw piste maps of all the placed I have been to with quite good accuracy. Weird wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob, you are not alone with this, I can never remember names and numbers, I might occasionally remember an area name or name of a bar but that is about my limit. Wierdly though I have a real good sense of direction and rarely have to consult the piste map in my pocket after day 2 of the holiday.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
After several trips to L2A I'd more or less got them all cracked. Then 2 years ago they changes them all to make them "easier". The Grand Couloir is now Bellecombes 5, there's also 1 - 4. easier my ar$e Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob, I am so with you on this. I never remember the name of anything I've ridden on a given day, unless, at a push, I've been touring and the people I am with keep telling me the name of the hill we're on.

I have the same issue with classical music - while I have performed at a decent amateur level over the years in at least three instruments, and I recognise a piece of music, I can never remember its name or its composer. I can probably have a decent guess at when it was composed, but that's about it.

i have the same problem with the titles of books.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

i have the same problem with the titles of books.

Especially those from Cathy Reichs
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just say you've been off-piste....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
edde, wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't remember the names of anything like all the pistes even in a smallish area I've skied for 10 seasons. Why would you bother? I'm pretty well OK with the lifts, though and certainly know my way around.

If I'm advising someone else who doesn't know the area (to go off skiing when I'm not going to be there) I need to look at the map so I can tell them the names of the pistes.

I don't know why anyone would think that was particularly odd. Do we remember the names of all the roads, let alone the sidestreets on our regular commute to work?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
edde wrote:

Laughing Laughing

Would that be intentionally..? wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Least some places actually name pistes. Some are just a number. Some are exotic enough to name them with a letter.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chasseur wrote:
edde wrote:

Laughing Laughing

Of course. If in doubt just follow the person in front. What could possibly go wrong?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
edde wrote:
Chasseur wrote:
edde wrote:

Laughing Laughing

Of course. If in doubt just follow the person in front. What could possibly go wrong?

Nothing. Nothing that is unless the person in front just happens, lets say, to be following some newbies. You know...hypothetically...
snow report
fatbob, You need to get to the next level, where you remember the locals names for the pitches...that aren't written down anywhere, e.g.

"under the orange chairlift"

"where <insert miscreant's name> got (or didn't get) <suitable_act_of_naughtiness> "

"by the excellent ham sandwiches"
ski holidays
fatbob, I am in the same boat, can never remember piste names.

Worse than
Quote:

where you remember the locals names for the pitches.

We make up our own as well, Powder Island, Powder Paddocks, Face Plant Corner, etc etc, in St Foy the locals seam to have an thing about the female anatomy when naming stuff Shocked
latest report
The "Earth, Wind & Fire" route in St Anton is great but I suspect there's only 3 people on the planet know it by that name. Sketchy Rock and Scary Trees similarly in lots of places.
latest report
We (family and regularly-visiting friends) have our own names for local pistes and lifts, not usually very original (the red, the black, the loopy blue, the valley, the cheese factory, the goat farm, the car park, etc) and also certain bends or junctions that have their own names due to some embarrassing incident or another, eg Simon's corner, Richard's ravine.

One chair we call the "Right Said Fred" lift as my wife is adamant she once saw the Fairbrass brothers in a restaurant adjacent to it (I just saw a big bald bloke).

Perversely I tend to remember piste and lift names better if they are in a less familiar area that I visit occasionally. I know the Swiss side of the PDS like the back of my hand, but on less frequent visits to, say, Morzine or Les Gets it is useful to remember the names of the route home so you can follow signs without stopping to get the map out.
snow report
I'm bad with piste names.
I have just once been on a Heli skiing holiday and it was a new lodge, so some routes had no names as we were the first clients to ski them. We named 2 new routes and I remember those. One was called "One Ski" because someone lost a ski down a canyon (the brakes failed to work) and the guide swapped skis and skied down on one ski (faster than we could on 2).
latest report
Count me in this club. I can usually remember the name of the mountain I am on. I find North America especially bemusing where every gap between a couple of trees/rocks seens to have its own name

On the other hand, I could probably lead someone exactly around the route I did the day before without having to think too hard
snow report
Maps ?? Piste and lift names ??

These are all a mystery to my good lady to whom I am her perpetual ski-guide. There have been occasions where she's not even realised we're in a different resort ! She just leaves it all to me. It does have some benefits as I can get her down blacks more easily (unless she sees the marker poles and then I have to use the "Oh, I didn't realise" or "No, they're just dark blue" excuses). She's more than capable, just can't be bothered
latest report
In Villars, where my buddy has an apartment, we have names for various mountain features. I can remember them because I've been there so often.

Ikea: old, uncomfortable chair lift on the way towards Diablerets
Kingdom of Leather: nice comfortable chairlift up to the Spike (radio mast)
The Carlsberg: lift to the outdoor bar
Agricultural: the route through the trees around the back of the golf course
Green: anywhere in Gryon (names in a particularly poor snow year)
Easy now: anywhere in Isenau ...
Big schelp: bootpack from a track at the top of the Carlsberg lift

I might try and map Tignes in a similar way this year. There's no way I'll remember listed piste names, although my sense of direction's good enough to pull it together in my head so I guess I just need to give things memorable names and share them with ski buddies.
ski holidays
I'm one of these scary people that remembers most things and I'm sure I annoy my ski buddies immensely. In Austria pistes often have numbers as well as or in place of names. I'm also pretty handy with a piste map. It does help if you have some knowledge of the local language as the names of places make more sense and are easier to remember.
latest report
fatbob,

I'm the same as you if not worse. I often have to ask the way home at the end of a good day, chasing the last lifts as they close on the way. Ask me where I've been and I will usually just point upwards at a mountain (not any specific mountain, just one in view) - "up there somewhere".
snow report
I suppose these people that don't remember piste/lift names or even the pistes themselves can quite easily spend a happy week in a resort with 30km of pisted terrain. Every day will feel like a new ski area... wink
snow conditions
queen bodecia,

Mrs M is the same. She can remember every branch of M&S she has ever been in, their aisle layouts, the prices..

Seriously she is brilliant with maps and directions. I can't understand why anybody would buy a sat-nav when you could just get a wife like mine.
snow conditions
musher, I have never used a SatNav and I have never been lost. I love maps, I'd hate a life without them. And yes I know every street name on all regular journeys I make. Call me sad or call me clever, I don't mind either... Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I tend to remember the names of the lifts, cos that's important when you want to get back there again. But then just "the red on the left" or whatever after that.
snow conditions
I remember them when I lead my family around for skiing. Partly because I sometimes need to give them directions on which way to go if we split up.

But otherwise, I'm like the majority of posters on this thread, no idea at the end of the day what the pistes I skied are called.
snow conditions
I have no problems at all. Mrs NBT falls into the same category as dsoutar's missus, even in resorts that we've been to a few times she is lost
snow conditions
I'm just as useless with names of pistes, lifts or mountain huts.

I probably know Verbier as well as any resort, having been there more times, but I've still no idea. The only ones I know are the ones with nicknames; James Blunt lift, M25 etc.

Strangely I can remember the names of Highway, Stairway, Col Des Mines, Tortin and the other itineries ok though.
snow conditions
fatbob wrote:
I have a vision of Status Quo being stoned.

A tad harsh, they're not threatening another Xmas song are they?
latest report
fatbob, I look less and less at maps. I think that's partly because I'm no longer worried about finding myself at the top of some piste I can't handle; and partly because I can't be @rsed to fiddle about with my (relatively) newly acquired reading glasses.

I tend to get a pretty good feel for the lie of the land quickly in a new resort; I'm not very good at putting names or colours to pistes and lifts though.
snow report
Quote:

partly because I can't be @rsed to fiddle about with my (relatively) newly acquired reading glasses

Laughing You wait - you won't be able to see your lunch without them, one of these days.

We do have our own family names for pistes. Clive's Nemesis is my favourite. We had a long, uncomfortable, slow (15 minutes), 2-man chair which we nick-named "The Kissy Kissy Chair" after travelling up behind daughter and new boyfriend (now husband and father of two, when did that happen? Shocked) . However, it was replaced last season with a fast 6 man detachable chair with comfortable well-padded seats and an automatic lifting bar. My husband came up with a fairly unprintable new name for it, indicating that you could get up to more than kissing on it, but would need to be quick.
snow report
I said I was bad at remembering names, but I'm very good at reading maps and getting to know the mountain. I almost always know where I am (and how to get to somewhere else). I just may not be able to remember the name.
snow conditions
Quote:

I'm very good at reading maps and getting to know the mountain

yes, me too. I like to see where I am - not keen on random wanderings in a strange resort. I'm fine with maps (though the habit of printing some major piste maps with north somewhere other than at the top is very confusing when you have a feel for the geographical layout of the place from driving).
ski holidays
Quote:

We do have our own family names for pistes.

It's sections of off piste in our case; Carnage, Annihilation, etc. Skullie
snow report
We do the same with restaurant names Toofy Grin If you know La Plagne see if you can guess any of them Laughing
The Slug in the Lettuce
The Haglunds Restaurant
The dreadful one with outside loos
The Pringles Restaurant
Hot Tululas (named by a 6 year old and its stuck!)
Dos Rond
Cold chips
Croq
The crepe shack
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy