Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help someone with no idea - are these skis worth buying?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I would appreciate some advice. I have been skiing a dozen or so times, always using hire equipment and as such I know nothing about gear, though I feel comfortable skiing.

I have been offered a set of rossignol V5 skis, 198cm, and salomon 677.6 bindings, for £150. Should I buy them?

Please, I need simple answers! Smile

Thanks in advance
Dan
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have never heard of those skis, but them being VERY long would suggest that they are old pre-carvers. If they are carvers, then you would need to be about 2m20 to use them!

Simple answer:

No

snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
glasgowdan, Old long straight skis with bindings that are not on the indemnified list, (ie. any problems covered by the manafacturer) so a ski shop may refuse to touch them, may fetch £20 on ebay!

cross post......
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
NO!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Smile Thanks a lot, I'll come back next time I see something closer to 180 I guess.

I have booked my first ski hol to Soll in Austria with the wife and we can't wait. Happy to hire gear over there to save on transport, but it would save so much time to have our own stuff for home weekends up north.

Thanks again.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
glasgowdan, No, do not buy skis.

Your first investment should be in lessons, then boots and finally skis. It may be 5 years before you are experienced enough to know what you want. In the meantime hire and try different ones. If you can pick up something suitable (and very cheap) from a local sale, all well and good, but for carvers, you would have to be VERY tall, again for 180s.

If you are normal height then a ski shop will fit you out with 160 or so for starting out. !70 maybe if you are tall.

Don't buy yet.

snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Go on first ski holiday. Rent everything. Try out various stuff, and when you return the hire gear write down what equipment you used. Come back to UK, try out a bunch more stuff on weekends up north, see if skiing is really for you, then buy some boots if you really really want to spend some money. At that point I'd buy some secondhand skis if you are really determined.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They look just like old style long pre-carvers - a piccy here. http://www.leboncoin.fr/sports_hobbies/280850853.htm

glasgowdan, after you get your boots look out for a pair of modern carving skis, then def. come back here and ask the experts (of which I am NOT one) what will suit you before you part with your cash.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep, those are antiques, and belong to a time when skiing was done, and taught very differently from today. No use at all to you, and whover is asking £150 for them collects tall zoo animals.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chris Bish, Monium, the OP has already skied quite a lot - long way from his first holiday. Have to agree, though, that asking £150 for those skis is bare-faced cheek!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I expect the OP could pick up a suitable pair of second-hand skis from the SH buy and sell board for £150 and they might be a whole lot more suitable for him than buying those. glasgowdan, why don't you keep an eye on the buy and sell board for a couple of weeks, or even post a Want to buy, someone might offer you something suitable within your budget.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
glasgowdan wrote:
I would appreciate some advice. I have been skiing a dozen or so times, always using hire equipment and as such I know nothing about gear, though I feel comfortable skiing.

I have been offered a set of rossignol V5 skis, 198cm, and salomon 677.6 bindings, for £150. Should I buy them?

Please, I need simple answers! Smile

Thanks in advance
Dan

You are being mugged off, son.

Give it a miss.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

as such I know nothing about gear

First rule: Try before you buy.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Holy moly! I doubt it if I could get £50 for my 4yr old Salomons!! You could get some brand spanking new piste carvers off t'interweb for around £200-£250 on sale from last season.

Lets be clear, this person either has no idea about the depreciation of skis or is trying to rip you off. If your going to spend that much, get yourself something shiny and new.....not a dusty old relic with ancient tech.

Quick Ebay search....similar model going for 30 euros. Shocked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy