Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Working in Alpes -couple question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi!

I am hoping to make my big dream come through and spend season living/working in Alpes. I have some jobs interview already appointed and hoping for positive outcome.
In the meaning time however I have few doubts and like to consult it with you guys.

-What wold you be choose: Typical resort driving/maintaining job with salary around 80£ pw and full package including food, accommodation, ski rent, insurance, ski pass or regular job 8£ ph and the rest self cater *(employer offers help with finding accommodation and contract allows to apply for "worker ski pass")? Can you briefly tell me what's reality with finding accommodation in Chamonix or Morzine? How much it cost and what's the standard?
-Do you think it's good idea to drive there so I would have my own transport? Considering the fact that my car is VW Polo 1.0 97' Smile. I would normally say nooo! but his is super reliable well looked after car and i think with snow tires and chains it can handle everything- could you please comment on that?

I had a tons of other questions but they get away from my head now. If anyone could help me/comment on this one I would greatly appreciate (additional advices welcome).

Many Thanks,
Pedrinho
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
www.natives.co.uk
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pedrinho, natives is your best option, but as far as car goes, leave it at home your insurance will almost certainly not cover you for an entire season in the alps.

As far as the job goes make sure you know ho many hours you will be expected to work each week for your money, you may find depending on local costs that a full package with a bit of pocket money is better or worse than an hourly rate, some employers seem to supply better accommodation than others so make sure you know what you are getting and get it in writing, no point arriving to suddenly discover you are sharing a converted garage with 3 other workers for example
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Obviously I'm familiar with www.natives.co.uk and done extensive use of their website. I am invited to interview already. However different employers offers different conditions and I am asking for advices on that.
D G Orf, I guess not all insurers would offer cover for such long time abroad but I am sure there are some. I am just wonder how little VW Polo will do in mountains any experience with that?

Also If I would like to find accommodation in chamonix myself how much I'm looking at for average studio flat?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

as far as car goes, leave it at home your insurance will almost certainly not cover you for an entire season in the alps.

See, this sort of nonsense illustrates why you shoud look for advice on Natives rather than here. Take the car - I did my frst three seasons with a banger of a Peugeot 309, no problems, perfectly adequate insurance cover. Big advantage to have transport.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Pedrinho, your car will be fine with snow tyres on and you should definitely take it. Just make sure you do the other things necessary for winter - undiluted winter screenwash, concentrated anti freeze, carry lock de-icer, jump leads etc. A car will stop you going stir crazy in the middle of the season when you need to escape and probably help you make friends too.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As already pointed out www.natives.co.uk

Take the car whichever job option you go for, unless you plan on driving daily, just go with some decent chains (buy in france not uk)

If it's first season go for the all inclusive, It's just so much less stressful, even if it is more restrictive, just try and get them to give you some transport allowance for not taking their bus

If you are heading to Cham, http://www.chamsocial.com/ is one of the many places to look for accommodation, and you need to get that sorted NOW, sorry can't help with Morzine

for first season I'd recommend Morzine over Chamonix unless you are already a seasoned Alpinist (mountain climber), you will get a lot more out of your season and be a lot less scared

D G orf, please read the insurance threads dotted around here, he's covered, at least 3rd party - I'm guessing you live in the UK not france (with a uk registered car)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

unless you plan on driving daily, just go with some decent chains

Lesson I learned over that first season with the Peugeot - buy snow tyres.

Your Polo wil be fine - I drive to work every day in a Twingo, no problem.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pedrinho, I used a Seat Ibiza (Polo in Spanish clothes!). You will have no snags if you have snow tyres. I didnt but it was only for 10 days twice a year. But having driven a Swiss rental with snow tyres I am now having snow tyres! Which country are you in? A lot of European nations insurance includes cover in any EU mainland country - its only us Brits that get ripped off for travelling.
ski holidays
 cran
cran
Whatever insurance you have you are covered 3rd party, some policies cover enough days to be fully comp, e.g. LV is 180 days.

Get a set of steel wheels with snow tyres, chains are for emergencies and snow tyres are much better. Also they are not just for snow, they work better anywhere when the temperature is cold, so even in the Uk they are worth having (and as well as being safer in winter, they save you money once you have them as they are cheaper than summer tyres)

If you are looking at driving jobs I'd go for transfer driver. Chalet/maintenance driver you get less free time and you end up with the crappy jobs like clearing snow and cleaning toilets all day... Transfer driving is stress free and as most transfers are weekends you have a very busy weekend but loads of time for skiing in the week.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Everything Lizzard, has said.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I found breakdown insurance harder to get than car insurance - ended up joining the Caravan Club as you could get a year's breakdown cover on the continent for a car with UK plates.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pedrinho, We can help you on the accommodation front in either Chamonix or Morzine.

There's little difference between them tbh in terms of price, size, quality etc.

Let me know if we can help.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did last season in Morzine with a car and No Snow Tires, easy as its so low. Put chains on like three times and was driving a lot as our ski school operates in both Morzine and Les Gets.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard, I have a twingo too and she drives everywhere in the snow - maybe it's an undiscovered secret??

Pedrinho, for a first season I would recommend the driver/maint job that comes with everything included. It takes the hassle out of organising everything for yourself and whilst the accommodation is unlikely to be a palace, it means that everything you earn will be beer money!

Check with the company whether you will have access to the vehicle for your own use or not. If so, leave the car a home. . .

Hope that helps - happy planning!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy