Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Espace Killy vs Megeve

Poster: A snowHead
Hi to all
I am trying to decide on where to go for a 5 days of skiing
In the French Alps,

I was thinking of espace killy but prices are bit high in Val disere
So I look at Evasion Mont-Blanc...any thoughts
On which of the 2 would be better.

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
croig, very different areas. You'll need to tell us a bit more about what sort of skiing you like, and other aspect which are important to you. Megeve is not generally spoken of as a cheap option. wink It has some of the most expensive restaurants in France, beautiful shopping (if you like that sort of thing) and more fur coats than you can shake a stick at.

Personally I'd go for Evasion Mont Blanc without hesitation (there are much cheaper centres than Megeve in the area) but we need to know more about you.

And WHEN are you thinking of going? 5 days is not a good length of time for a French hol, usually a standard week will give you more options.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
croig, I think more info about your needs would be required to give you a good answer: but I wouldn't necessarily expect Megève to be cheap!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks yes sure I am going at the end of this month in term of my ski level I am a proficient skier , have been in places like whistler, Vail, stowe and couchevel, corvara etc… ...
Am travelling with my wife, am looking for some challenges in term of the difficulty of the pistes, when I was in corvara a found a bit easy at times, in the other hand whistler as many options and the back bowls are my favorites…..
Also and very important I am looking some info in terms of quality of accommodations town life and cost of ski passes…
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
croig, well, the Espace Killy has more challenging terrain than Megeve. But there is no comparison in terms of "town life". Megeve wins that one hands down. There are some seriously good boutique hotels in Megeve. But cheap they ain't - and they might be difficult about a 5 night stay, especially if it straddles two weeks.

I suspect ski pass prices are similar - they are easily found online.

What sort of thing does your wife like? If the answer is shopping, I'd give Megeve a miss. Some lovely stuff, but usually no prices on display. wink

Eating on the mountain in Megeve is expensive; not a lot of difference between the two in terms of having a pizza and a pint of beer, I suspect but "fine dining" is readily available in Megeve.

The scenery is much more attractive in Megeve, too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I agree with the above. It depends on your priorities.

If it's the skiing that's important - head to EK. If it's all the surrounding attractions of a holiday in the hills; then Megeve.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
St. Gervais, in the next valley and comprehensively lift-linked to Megeve, would be a good bet if you consider Val prices steep. Very pretty spa town, decent skiing (although in general not much very challenging in St. Gervais/Megeve) and some very nice restaurants/patisseries etc. Both areas less than 1hr from Geneva.

Eating on the hill is not particularly expensive in the whole area. Les Contamines is a 10 minute drive up the road which has decent off-piste (and afaik is included on the pass) and if you're desperate for deep&steep, Chamonix is only 30-40mins drive round the corner.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You can definitely find affordable accomodations in Megeve-St. Gervais...you just have to look a bit...and I mean s/c accommodations, but they are there.

St. Gervais is lovely as well, should I want to go shopping, I might actually buy some thing in St. Gervais..

I think skiing in Megeve is fun skiing, I enjoy it, not tonnes of blacks, but it's fun skiing, and there are a few eateries on the hill with some almost normal prices, the rest are indeed expensive...like 6 euro for cappucino..

Megeve/St. Gervais is charming, delightful, a good place for an all-round ski holiday...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Been to both several times. Megeve is the prettiest French ski town in the Alps when its lit up at night but its also just about the most expensive, if cost is even a tiny part of the equation give it a miss. Paid 18 euros for a pint there once, clearly I wouldn't have if I'd asked the price first!

Megeve's skiing is split into 3 separate, relatively small areas and while its ok isn't going to be the most thrilling place you've ever been. There are some great places to go if you fancy driving though, give Espace Diamant a try 15 mins drive from Megeve.

Oh and if you're not French they don't want you there, I'm sure people will rush to the locals defence but in many years of skiing loads of French resorts I've never been anywhere like Megeve, the vast majority of places (including the hotels we were staying in) treated us with contempt, the service was appalling once they realised we were English.

Having said that its still one of the best and we'll definitely been going back...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fair enough, and in the lift queues, they are about as rude as you can get...

but I let it all roll off me...

Over Christmas we were 200 meters from the Caboche lift in a S/C apartment, which was absolutely lovely, with 4 of us, and dog, with washing machine and boot drying area, for 900 euro for the week...I thought that was fair enough for a family of 4,5
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Maybe give Morzine a look rather than Megeve, the town isn't quite as pretty but the skiing is better and the costs way lower.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
levart wrote:

Oh and if you're not French they don't want you there, I'm sure people will rush to the locals defence but in many years of skiing loads of French resorts I've never been anywhere like Megeve, the vast majority of places (including the hotels we were staying in) treated us with contempt, the service was appalling once they realised we were English.

Laughing I feel no need to rush to the defence of the locals in Megeve, but I can honestly say I've never felt singled out for being English (and there is absolutely no mistaking my Englishness, particularly when trying to speak French Embarassed ). They're not as friendly as the locals in our satellite village, but then very few people are.

Where did you spend €18 on a pint?! Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Maybe give Morzine a look rather than Megeve, the town isn't quite as pretty but the skiing is better and the costs way lower.

You think Morzine is cheaper than Megeve??? Maybe the shops, at least they have price tags in Morzine....but I find Megeve better value for money...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For a short break why not try www.chalet-la-giettaz.com as run by miranda above. Looks really nice. We had looked at it for a short break but we are now not skiing this season
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In my experience pretty much everywhere is cheaper than Megeve. Megeve is on a par with Kitzbuhel, Lech, Ischgl, Val D'Isere, Zermatt, Klosters etc but I guess like everywhere it depends where you eat and drink to some extent.

I'm saying that for the average standard of bar, restaurant or hotel in each resort, Megeve and all of the others in that list are far more expensive than Morzine.

Part of the reason for that is Morzine doesn't have real top end places in the same way as the others maybe.
latest report
humpf....

Dying to go to Lech, so if I can afford Megeve, then I can afford Lech?

Sounds like a great proposition for me! Looking at a short break over Easter, Dutch school only give us a 4-day weekend...but got 2 weeks in Feb, so not complaining...plenty of time away from school for snowy-fun.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, thanks for the thought, and I hope we do get to see you one year (you can get 4.5 pints for €18 here wink)
ski holidays
I know Megeve very little, despite being based in the Espace Diamant, just up the road. We had a day there before Christmas, when Megeve had opened a few pistes early. The café where we had drinks, lunch etc was absolutely fine. More expensive than I usually find in the Espace Diamant but definitely not more than the Espace Killy. The proprietor was friendly, helpful and patient with terrible French, and with some of the party lolling round with a drink for ages whilst the others carried on skiing.

Megeve has one of the best collections of Michelin starred restaurants outside Paris and you'd be crazy to go to one of them for a beer (or a spag bol). But it also has more ordinary places. But like Courchevel (or London for that matter) you do need to inform yourself, not just wander off the street at random. AFAIK all French bars must display clearly a list of their prices. Caveat emptor.

€900 for a nice family apartment, near the lifts, at Christmas, is very good. And the supermarket in Megeve (which I do use fairly often as it's on my route to and from Gva airport) is not expensive. Standard prices.
snow report
The 18 euro pint was actually two 9 euro bottles of 250ml each, it was in the bar of the Fer-a-Cheval hotel.

Not sure about the nightlife but definitely a +1 for the skiing recommendation in Giettaz, Jaillet is definitely the best area in Megeve in my opinion and has just about the only real steeps in the resort from what I remember.
snow report
Quote:

Fer-a-Cheval hotel

luxury 5 star hotel; of course the beer's expensive. Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy