Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing near Zurich? New cheap flights

Poster: A snowHead
From Saturday's Telegraph travel section:
Quote:
Helvetic Airways has begun operating a twice-daily service between Luton and Zurich. The first 10 seats on each morning and evening flight are available from about £15, plus taxes, from www.helvetic.com

That sounds interesting, is there any decent skiing nearby?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for highlighting this, RachelQ.

I have just looked at their site and while on the face of it they look cheap, they whack on an extra 110 Euros in hidden charges for a return trip.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep wacking on a 55 Euro hidden charge each way tends to spoil things a little most other places only add an extra 30-40 Euros in taxes etc, I guess fuel prices may play a part here, still for arround £100 return it's not too bad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zurich has always been expensive for tax. I thought the non EU status had something to do with it and that Basel and Geneva were cheaper owing to being shared with France.

You don't seem to be able to beat EasyJet prices to Basel at the moment.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Back to the original question, http://www.geocities.com/activityworkshop/snowboarding/switzerland/index.html has a good review of some of the places which are day trippable from Zurich. Bear in mind that they will be busy at weekends.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
neilswingler, Most so called 'taxes' are in fact airport charges/passenger charges/ supplements. As such they are entirely dependent upon the airport/group. 'Taxes and Charges' are also a very subjective matter in terms of what they contain and the 'pricing' methodology. Suffice to say that the only way to do a real comparison is to look at the total cost for any flight you are planning.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You can be in St Anton direct on the train in 2hrs 50 mins wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There is some great skiing within a relatively short transfer from Zurich. I would personally reccomend Flims/Laax, Lenzerheoide or Klosters/Davos. If you don't want to hire a car you can travel to Klosters by train in just over two hours.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
blueskix, welcome to snowheads.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
blueskix,

Willkommen nach snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RachelQ, There's a list of ski resorts and distances near Zurich (and most other airports) at:
http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Zurich.html
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
eEvans, there is an Air Passenger Duty tax which is charged for the leg departing the UK. For Geneva and Basel it is 5 quid. For Zurich it is 20 quid.

See:http://www.easyjet.com/EN/news/20010402_01.html
andhttp://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?id=AIRPASSENGERDUTY

So I'm not sure how Helvetic come up with the same tax for both legs.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kamikaze, I saw that link in google, but it doesn't connect - does it work for you?

Thanks, neilswingler and blueskix, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I was looking at Flumserberg, it looks like quite a big ski area, does anyone know it? And do these resorts really get very busy at the weekend, cos that's when I'd be looking at being there?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RachelQ, Flumserberg gets really really busy on sunny weekends from December thru February. Queuing is not too bad thanks to efficient lifts but then there are a lot of people on the pistes. Nevertheless, that's where I'll be with my kids because you can pretty much stay on high speed quads all day.

Flumserberg is extremely easy by public transport. Get the train to Unterterzen and for this winter there is a new gondola from the Train station up to the ski area.

If I go for a morning by myself, I prefer Hoch YBrig which has steep wide pistes. It is a bit smaller and a bit closer (by car) than Flumserberg.

BTW the swiss railway sell a combined discounted train and lift ticket called Snow'n'Rail. This can also be had with a 2 day lift pass and one return train journey. See www.railaway.ch.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David@traxvax, Hywel, and RachelQ, Thanks for the welcome

RachelQ, Swiss is also an affordable solution flying to Zurich. They have tickets from £22 (plus the usual extras) also available on some Friday and Monday flights.

Flumserberg is a very nice place to ski for a weekend, The lift system is excellent, great views and Flums gets much more snow than its elevation deserves. As already mentined by neilswingler, it can get busy on a sunny weekend when the snow is good. Starting this comming season they will be running non-stop trains from Zurich to meet the new chair lift
ski holidays
RachelQ, sorry about that - our host decided to stuff up our DNS for us on Sunday night; should be all sorted now although we were apparently still visible from Iceland... which is handy...

Anyway, from Zurich I'd probably head for Engelberg (and hope to this coming season) though you need to be reasonably confident off-piste to make the most of it. Suggest taking a long weekend so you get a Friday or a Monday in - and Saturday mornings, in general, have less "local" crowds...
ski holidays
blueskix, sorry, how rude of me... welcome to Snowheads! Cool snowHead

J2Dave
snow report
J2Dave, yes, that works now thanks. Very useful.
latest report
blueskix, do you have a link for the non-stop trains? I read something a while ago (S2 to run to Unterterzen at weekends) but it was only a proposal.
snow report
neilswingler, Here you go (in German)
http://www.flumserberg.com/de/news.cfm?category=MediaH&subcat=NewsH&id=21092
ski holidays
Hi blueskix and RachelQ, , I always fly to Zurich as I have a mate in Ennetbaden. Swiss and BA seem better value than Helvetic: especially since they both include ski carriage (plus BA has food!). At Easter, we managed Wengen, Andermatt and Engelberg (twice) for day trips. Champery at the end of January...
latest report
airberlin also do cheap flights to Zurich, from both Stansted and Manchester. They indicate the total price (inc taxes straight away) and look reasonable, though they don't appear to fly on a Saturday or Sunday (from Stansted at least).
ski holidays
neilswingler, Soory about the delay in responding ,, yes APD does exist in the UK. My point( typically unclear) is that the so called Charges/taxes/duties include all kinds of odds and sods and is dependent upon carrier and gateways. Hence the advice to check totals - same also goes for 'credit/debit card fees ' which are not always a similar basis of calculation and the ubiquitous 'booking fees' / surcharges and other confusions.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy