Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Basel Mulhouse Airport

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Evening.

Just booked two flights Edinburgh - Basle Mulhouse - going out 29/12 back 05/01 - for 72 quid return each. A saving of £180 each.
We are heading to Nendaz - route planner shows 3 hours 10 minutes - but with 150 miles on motorways (out of the 160 ish) it could be more like 2 1/2 hours which is half an hour longer than from Geneva.

Looks a good deal to me.

Seems like, as at Geneva, hiring cars on the French side is much cheaper than on the Swiss side but also like Geneva the car hire places shut before our flight lands (on the French side).

Anybody got any experience of, or tips about Basle Mulhouse airport?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Airport is actually in France with a long landbridge connecting the Swiss side. Only ever rented on CH side but with vignettes , winter tyres etc I'd have thought cost marginal. Got the train once from Martigny to meet a mate flying in and pick up a car to go to Engelberg, swiss transfer tiket might be most cost effective although takes ages?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers Fatbob.

The French side car hire is closed anyway.

I usually hire French side at GVA and re-use the vignette - I carry my own chains to overcome the winterisation. The French side at GVA is so much less hassle than the Swiss side, especially at Xmas, NY and Easter. (as you probably know!)

I think a car is nearly essential in Nendaz - going to Siviez etc and avoiding the scrum on the bus - especially if you have kids with you. We usually head to Sion at least once and have mates in Les Masses - so the car gets well used.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've flown into Basel/Mulhouse & hired a car when on business in France loads of times. We're doing it skiing in Switzerland this Christmas. We intend getting the train - will keep everybody posted on the results!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fifespud, my recollection of Basel-Mulhouse is that there is no French / Swiss side - there are French and Swiss passport booths side by side and then once you are through (whichever one you choose) you end up in the same area with just one set of facilities incl car hire. A v nice airport and far less manic than GVA.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Basel is a much more relaxed airport than Geneva. I've only hired on the Swiss side - if there's 'French' cars available, it's not obvious. I found navigating out through Basel quite difficult (must have missed the turning onto the ring road) but coming back the airport is well sign-posted.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't navigate through Basle - a nightmare - go over the Rhine and into Switzerland through Germany on the autobahn and it is motorway through Basle.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think the car park is segregated into Swiss and French sides. You certainly can (or could 10 years ago) hire cars on the French side.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I drive that route often. Basel is OK to get though as long as you do what the signs say (tomtom is not wrong there either) Just read the signs and get in your lane asap and follow it.
I enjoy driving over here, the roads are much better, I do like the 3 way splits left,centre and right . Just be aware of what's around you even the Swiss are seen to cross lanes at the last minute.
BTW "re-use the vignette" be careful the fines are big if your caught and they do crack down on them every once in a while particularly in the new year when the new issue is out.

The Train is a good option as well.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There is definitely a French side with separate car hire facilities. I think it is worth researching whether a late pick up is possible even if they are officially closed. You might have to phone them.

The big advantage of the French side is that you emerge directly onto the motorway and there is no need to faff around in Basel. One downside is no winter tyres (as I discovered one rather fraught April trip when I thought there wouldn't be any fresh snow!)

I reckon it adds an hour to the journey time to Chatel compared to Geneva and for Nendaz you will follow the same route until you head past Monthey towards Martigny/Sion.

Don't forget lots of the Swiss motorway has a 100kph limit and plenty of cameras.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DJL,

No cameras on the French side when I was driving down the A35 from Mulhouse I hope. We often left work after our last check-in time and once after the plane was supposed to have left, but never missed the flight. Access from the French side is very quick & easy.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I used EuroAirport (Basel,Mullhouse Freiburg) almost on a weekly basis for a few years.

My advice is to take the regular bus to the station (20mins) & then the train to Sion then Bus to Haute Nendaz will cost about 50 Swiss France one way (cheaper if you got discount card)

The timetable are not yet publised for december but here a text read out for tomorrow

You take the Low-floor bus from Basel, EuroAirport towards Basel SBB, Bahnhof to Basel SBB, Bahnhof.
Your journey starts at Basel, EuroAirport on 20.09.12 at 16:07, you arrive at Basel SBB, Bahnhof is at 16:24.
You walk from Basel SBB, Bahnhof to Basel SBB.
For this you should allow 6 minutes.
Your journey continues by InterCity from Basel SBB departing track 11 to Visp.
Your journey starts at Basel SBB at 16:31, you arrive at Visp is on track 6/7 at 18:31.
Your journey continues by InterRegio from Visp departing track 4/5 to Sion.
Your journey starts at Visp at 18:36, you arrive at Sion is on track 3 at 19:04.
You walk from Sion to Sion, poste/gare.
For this you should allow 4 minutes.
Your journey continues by Bus from Sion, poste/gare to Haute-Nendaz, église.
Your journey starts at Sion, poste/gare at 19:10, you arrive at Haute-Nendaz, église is at 19:37.
Summary
The total journey time is: 3:30
This connection is possible on the following days: Mo - Fr, not 1. Nov
The number of changes is: 3

Audio

app.readspeaker.com/cgi-bin/rsent?customerid=5146&lang=en_us&voice=Kate&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffahrplan.sbb.ch%2Fbin%2Fhelp.exe%2Fen%3Ftpl%3Dtts%26L%3Dtexttospeech%26ws%3Dfweb5p.sbb.ch%26qp%3Dseqnr%25253D15%252526ident%25253Dmt.023950201.1348062885%252526HWAI%25253DCONNECTION%252524C1-2!id%25253DC1-2!HwaiConId%25253DC1-2!HwaiDetailStatus%25253DreadSpeakerText!%25253B%25257ECONNECTION%252524C1-2!HwaiMapStatus%25253DUNDEFINED!HwaiMapNumber%25253DUNDEFINED!HwaiMapSlider%25253DUNDEFINED!%25253B&readid=readSpeakerArea_C1-2&audiofilename=20_09_12_Basel-EuroAirport_HauteNendaz-eglise&speed=100&selectedhtml=&save=1
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy