Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in December

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All, I'd be greatful for any advice you guys have on early season skiing.

A group of us are looking to go ski on the weekend of 8th/9th December. This is the first week of the season, for many resorts I think (at least as far as the TO are concerned).

We were thinking of going back to St. Anton as we have previously had a great time there and the skiing suits our (pretty advanced) abilities. I am a bit worried that there might not be much snow though.....clearly we're unlikely to be skiing oodles of powder off piste, but does anyone have any experience of the on piste conditions?

I know that it's pot luck but in a given year how would you lot rate me chances of having decent(ish) skiing? I know we would probably have a better chance of good snow in a high French glacier resort, but we really enjoyed St. Anton as a place (including the apres!).

I'd be very interested to hear your views!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bagfry, First thing to check is whther they are expectong to even open the lifts those dates...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name, OPens 30th November according to tourist info.... and Inghams are selling holidays that start on 8th dec
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was skiing powder from 23rd Nov in St Anton in 2008, don't rule it out! Obviously coverage offpiste is unlikely to be great, and Rendl may or may not be open by then, but there should still be plenty of great skiing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bagfry, my view is that in early Dec, even in St Anton, you could be needing to pack the golf bats rather than the planks. As such book late if you can. If some sort of base has been laid down in Nov then go for it.

But I say that as a man who booked Tignes in Dec (17th) in June so I hardly eat my own dog food as it were
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bagfry, book late ( as per above advice ). I have had some really good skiing in St.A in Dec, and some almost non-existent. Impossible to say at this stage of the game. St. A is not a good place to be when there is no snow!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bagfry, Solden in Austria may be worth a look. Top lift at 3250m so it may have an edge on St Anton (Top lift 2450m) for early season conditions.

I can't recommend from personal experience as I haven't been yet, but it's on the list. I have heard nothing but good things about Solden.

Definitely agree with the booking late advice mentioned above.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've only ever been to St Anton twice. Both times in early December. I think it's fair to say that both times I got some of the best off piste conditions I've ever skiid.

In 2010 we took about 6 hours to get there from Munich behind a snowplough and had the best conditions of that whole winter as far as I remember (which wasn't hard as it was fairly pants by all accounts)

I also went a year or two before that at Krampus or whatever it's called and had amazingly brilliant deep deep fresh snow.

yum
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kaprun or Hintertux are both great early/pre season destinations. Do able for the weekend but just check on connection times and flights?!

Tignes is generally a safe bet if you have to book in advance and easy for a weekend mission.

Otherwise keep an eye on the snow falls and see whats best a little closer to the time.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bagfry, Book flights but that early there's no point booking accommodation until a few days before. Then you can head for wherever looks best be it a glacier area like Solden, Stubai, Kaprun or Hintertux or your chose St A... mind you the apres there might not exactly be humming then.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stevio and Cervinia in Italy will both have been long open, Stevio is open now and Cervinia opens this weekend!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I went to Tignes the week before Christmas last year, and it was terrible. Too much snow! Having not snowed until a few days before (which was worrying), it then absolutely threw it down, meaning that much of the area was closed due to avalanche risk etc.

Still had a cracking time - although if you're stuck unable to ski lots. St Anton's apres is a far, far better prospect than Tignes...

This year, I'm going to Lake Tahoe mid December...highly likely to be little snow, but visiting friends in the area and burning up the rest of my annual leave, so not a primary choice iof time nor place for skiing: but will be a nice holiday, binus if good snow.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 10-10-12 10:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
holidayloverxx, That's optimism for you.

Quote:

the first week of the season, for many resorts I think (at least as far as the TO are concerned)

I'd suggest that is immense optimism and possibly entirely misleading on a TO's part. For most (non-glacier) resorts I wouldn't expect to ski before Xmas week. Brevent-Flegere (Chamonix) for example not scheduled to open fully until Dec 22.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 10-10-12 10:56; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bagfry, Ischgl, Solden and Obergurgl should be fairly good options. Same glaciers - Hintertux etc. (already open).

Tignes or Val Thorens in France. Best will be to book just flight and wait with the resort choice.

It is December so you should be able to find accommodations later on. Or if the early snow is good you will have much more choice.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks very much everyone for the excellent advice. I will try and hold off booking for a bit.

We're looking for a catered chalet (I know I know....) so we don't massively want to leave it until the last minute, but I guess there will always be some last minute availability so early in the season.

Booking flights now is a good idea, the only problem being we have to decide whether to go to France/ Austria.....so many decicisions (or 'first world problems' as some call them).

I'll let you all know how we get on!
snow report
In Austria, specially in places I mentioned, you'll find more half board hotels or pensions than catered chalets.
Again weekend bookings should be ok in December.
Lots of catered chalets in France, but might be tricky for a weekend only.
snow report
Ah- I've been very unclear. We are looking to go on the weekend of 8/9th but for a week.....sorry. I'm a wally.
snow report
bagfry, No problems getting a HB hotel at that time of year in any of the Austrian or French resorts, even last minute you should be able to find some good bargins dealing directly with the hotels.
snow report
We went to St Anton the week before Christmas a number of years ago. It was brilliant loads of snow extremely cold (I bought extra layers there as I was too cold). However you can never predict

In Austria you dont need the same altitude for good snow as you do in france.

Personally I would go for it
ski holidays
bagfry, If it is for a week. Don't book any flights for France. You will be better off with last minute TO deal.
You can probably find them also to St Anton or Cervinia/Zermatt etc...
Ischgl, Solden probably better to DIY so book flight in advancem the rest later.

If I were you I would probably wait for last minute deals with TO.

In St Anton, I think Rendl won't be open, not sure about other links.
Ischgl is known for pre XMS skiing so if conditions are good will be open completely.
Not sure about French resorts.

I believe some resorts won't open everything this early in December even if there is plenty of snow.
It is better then to head to places witch are known for early skiing and have enough customers to open completely.

We had brilliant pre XMS conditions in Obertauern and Livigno (second week in Dec). All runs open.
snow conditions
We shall wait and see then.....could be a good opportunity to go on the cheap.
snow conditions
We've had great trips that time of year in Tignes and Val Thorens, have your lot considered joining the PSB? They have spaces the first 3 days, 1st to 4th Dec - it is very cheap for a trip that includes lift pass, transfers, food and a whole load of other good stuff. Worth contacting admin if it has to be the 8th Dec weekend, he might find some space in apartments etc.
ski holidays
Went to St Anton 1st Dec last year for the weekend. No Snow until we left and got stuck on the St Anton pass figuring snow chains! However, we drove to Isghl (man made snow) and Solden, Glacier, so skied every day.

If I were you I would go to Solden and book as soon as you like. With full snowfall, would be a blast. If not, two back to back glaciers should keep you smiling.

Apres looks okay, but we did not stay as driving,

Peter
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy