Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler or Breckenridge

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're looking at going somewhere say first two weeks in March.

We were originally going to Whistler - we've been before in December and I didnt enjoy the skiing as much as in Tignes (my favourite place ever) but
we thought we'd try it when potentially it will be warmer in March and I can ski better than I could when we originally went.

I quite like bombing down the runs putting the miles in, so enjoy the cruising blues and reds and odd black.

But a few people have mentioned Breckenridge.
It looks great but is coming out more expensive and the accomodation looks of less quality than where we would stay in Whistler which is making me hesitant to go.

Anybody have any experience of Breckenridge? Is it worth it?
Probably stay in Thunder Mountain Lodge I think its called

thanks Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Surprised Breckenridge is more expensive with respective strengths of the $s. Breck is a lot smaller than WB combined but is plenty set up for cruisers and flattering groomers with some smatterings of fun & steep offpiste which won't really be relevant to you. Plus you can ski Keystone on the same pass and even maybe get over to Vail & Beaver Creek for more Vail Resorts pampering.

For a keen advanced skier I'd say no contest Whistler every time but for a cruiser I'd say maybe honours more even if you're prepared to bus or drive around a bit.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Silly question but why not go to Tignes.
Whistler is not really worth it just for cruising, assume going all the way to Breckenridge would be similar? No N. American resort is going to be about the piste kms.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
lauralime, If you are making that choice I'd swop Breck for Aspen. Breck is a small mountain with 2/3rds of the runs relatively flat, it has a western style feel to the town tho whci h doesnt seem as purpose built as Whistler. You certainly wont be cruising much at Breck, or putting the miles in. Keystone has more longer cruising runs and on the free bus service. Vail can be a pain to get to but there is a bus laid on from Breck IIRC

At that time of year Aspen would be a better bet than Whistler for weather and less people too Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lauralime, if it helps we spent last March in Whistler. Snowiest March on record so we got pretty lucky (that's an understatement) as far as conditions go.

I'm a mile-hungry boarder and yes, runs, are not as long as what you'd get in some of the big resorts in Europe but the allure of inbound off-piste skiing compensates this to a great extent. There are some cracking runs though (Franz's being my favourite), the locals are friendly, service is good etc. Personally if Whistler wasn't an 8 hour flight / 2 hour transfer away we'd be paying it a visit every single winter.

If you have 2 weeks planned why not combine it with a stay in Vancouver?

Whistler wins hands down vs any resort in NA as far as I'm concerned.

Having said that the Espace Killy is great and only a 2 hour / 3 hour transfer away. Have you considered Austria (St Anton / Lech / Zurs offer great mileage when combined)?

Good luck.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I can highly recommend Breckenridge.. i went with another snowHeads last year, stayed in a small town a couple of minutes outside Breckenridge called Frisco. It was cheaper, also got easy access to lots of over resorts such as Vail, Arapaho, Beaver creek, Copper mountain, most of which you get a free bus too... You can also get a 10 multi resort pass which cost about £300.. i hope that helps.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just to add, the slopes in breckenridge are the best I've ever been on, they are really wide and awesome for cruising.. and the snow is just epic, never seems to get icy like it does in europe.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all - even more confused now - Smile

To answer some of your questions...

fatbob - whilster has some awesome deals on for March so its coming in cheaper otherwise it wouldnt be

Bones - what is Aspen like for Boarders? Isn't it the one resort that has one mountain only open for skiers?

stuarth - already going to Tignes in December and La Plagne in January
But its our 40th this year so we thought we'd do an over the atlantic trip too! Smile

franga - Never been to Austria I would like to give it a go one year, not sure why we havent tried it out yet really

Kelv1n - thanks, I have noticed the lift pass options are pretty good you can get one that covers a fair few areas

I think we have some thinking to do at the weekend!
Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We've booked it - Whistler for 14 nights! followed by 2 nights in Vancouver
Its a bargain for Whistler and we can get out flights with airmiles -

thanks for your help!!!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
lauralime,

Good news - who are you flying with?

I you need any tips on either Vancouver or Whistler let me know!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lauralime, Regarding boarders and Aspen IIRC all mountains are now boarder friendly and it was only Ajax ( Aspen mtn that didnt allow them before) Worth noting for next time.

On our first trip to Aspen we met a guy from Canada and asked him why he wasnt sking in Whistler - his answer ' Aspens better for conditions and weather ' he lives in Whistler btw - met up with him when we visited Whistler both times Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi

Franga we are travelling BA.
With air miles we've upgraded to club Smile

Bones it sounds great - perhaps we'll try it another year

It was a few seasons ago when we last went to Whistler so hopefully being a bit more Savy will help this time Smile

I did enjoy the Dave Murray downhill so I do have some fond memories there Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
March is a great time for Whistler, IMO. Although, to be honest I have had lots of great experience in December, January, Feb., and early April. But it helps to live a 5 hr car ride away, so you can pick the best times to go. Having skied both resorts, I was in Breck back in February (bad snow yr for Colorado), it's no contest that Whistler is the better resort. More terrain, I prefer the village to the town. Although, with Breck, and if you have a car, you can access Vail, Keystone, and Beaver Creek.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good choice. Breck is dullsville in comparison to Whistler, and best conditions usually prevail in March.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy