Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Early snow - meaningless or useful pointer?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So there seems to be some good early dumps around, will they make any difference to the season at all, or will they all melt within the next week?

cheers,

Greg
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gregh, difficult to say, I've had to dig a path through about 2ft of snow to our chalet in November and a week later it had all melted. In theory if there's enough early snow to keep ground temperatures low then subsequent falls have a good base to adhere to.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JUST MY OWN THOUGHTS, BUT PRETTY MEANINGLESS BELOW 2800M

I'M STILL EXCITED THOUGH Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd agree with that. Anything falling at glacial altitudes on north-facing slopes - i.e. about 2800m and above - should stay for the winter, so it's certainly useful on the very high slopes. Lots has fallen further west, too.
Here's the scene at Schwarzsee above Zermatt, looking at the Matterhorn north and east faces. I think this cam is about 2600m:
http://bergbahnen.zermatt.ch/d/live_fotos/schwarzsee.jpeg
Looks like about 50cm of new snow there - that area would normally be competely bare at this time of year. It often has less snow than that in mid winter, so this has been a pretty impressive storm.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gregh, meaningless, unless the ambient temp has also dropped, normally at this time of year the air temperature is still fairly warm say 13-17C at 1000 M (dropping about 2 degrees per 300M above that) so only the highest slopes above 3000M will retain their snow, you get cold days where the temps drop by up to 10 degrees when you get snow but after a few days the snow has usually vanished, as we get towards the end of the month the ambient temps will have dropped (hopefully by about 10 degrees but more likely by 5 or 6) so that the level that is retaining snow will start to come down the mountain, once you get to a point where the ambient air temp is not more than 2 or 3 degrees C the snow will tend to stay
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Good news for those of us going to the pre season bash. Laughing
The glacier at LDA goes up to 3600, so snow at 2800 gives some 800 vertical of new snow. Want more.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I remember being in ADH in Jan 2004 and there was a massive dump of snow followed by a massive dump of rain upto 2800m.

Conditions were pretty horrendious
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snow conditions even within seasons can be massively variable, especially at lower altitudes, so I'm afraid this is completely meaningless.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I wouldn't put any store in this for the coming season. It can go as quickly as it came.The only thing that will keep that snow is freezing temps and therefore it might constitute a good base - for as long as the temps stay low... Having said that, since I am in the mountains in the next few weeks and hope to ski then this dump is good news.

But a reliable indicator, no. All it does is give a bit of hope..!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy