Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

skiboarding/ snowblading is the safest sport on the slopes

Poster: A snowHead
http://sbmag.wordpress.com/2007/02/13/skiboarding-is-the-safest-snow-sport/

more chance of a leg injury, but the safest sport none the less
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great link. Nice work.

It stands to reason that shorter planks, like snowblades, will lead to fewer injuries. They are easier to control.

But they still suck Cool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whitegold, so do you with your blanket negative statements.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
might be safer for the people on them, but a damn more dangerous trying to avoid the bugs - scooting this way and scooting that way. They seem to turn on a sixpence rolling eyes
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whitegold, happy as ever wink snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whitegold, lol.
Wear The Fox Hat, i dont think whitegold sucks, i knew he would comment on this. hopefully he is doing some research to back up the statement "but they still suck", maybe some facts/figures to prove this statement. i kinda like whitegolds sense of humour
rayscoops,
Quote:

scooting this way and scooting that way. They seem to turn on a sixpence

you mean doing exactly what they are meant to do Cool
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
graeme, exactly, damn dangerous things. It is not scooty skate type things that kill, it is the people riding them wink no idea which direction they are likely to scoot off too, worse than snowboarders Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
graeme, Very interesting, I heard they are dangerous if you jump into soft snow with them, which can snap your shins. Not my cup of tea, but if you enjoy using them wire in - it's all about having fun isn't it?

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

damn dangerous things

didnt you read the link, they are the safest. maybe you have no idea which way they are gonna go, but i bet the rider does.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
graeme, dangerous for me !! did you not read my post wink
Quote:

might be safer for the people on them, but damn more dangerous trying to avoid the bugs
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sage, more likely to have a leg injury if you have an accident, so maybe some truth in that. soft snow...hmmmm, may be true for shorter/narrower boards but not for more performance orientated boards, my summit custom 110's are as happy in soft snow or powder as they are on the groomed pistes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rayscoops, i did read it, maybe you need to relax a bit and worry less about what the funny looking guy on the short planks is doing. seriously though, just as many folk on all type of sliding equipment that you cant predict which way they will turn
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
graeme, i think they should be outlawed ! wink I normally try to push people over on them if they get anywhere near me Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, "try" being the operative word in that sentance. and they say skiboarders/snowbladers are dangerous....lol Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In the immortal words of the pub landlord:

"It's for kids!"

wink
ski holidays
also very embarrassing being dug out of pow on the silly little things wink
latest report
fatbob, you know i have to disagree there, met a dentist out in flaine who was at least in his 40's he was riding skiboards, revel8's to be precise. love em or hate em, they are just another way to have fun on snow. which is something we should all be in agreement with Very Happy
snow report
rayscoops, do tell how you would know that??? i didnt need to be dug out of over knee deep powder on mine, infact i found them to be perfect. not every skiboard is made by salomon wink
ski holidays
graeme, are you telling the tooth ! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
yep the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth
latest report
if i wanted safety, I'd stay at home Twisted Evil
snow report
Whitegold, rolling eyes
snow conditions
graeme, I saw it myself when I pushed a guy over when he was trying to ride them on pow, oh how I chuckled Very Happy 'trying' being the operative word there by the way wink Must admit I thought they are what you start off with when learning to ski !
snow report
rayscoops, just guessing here but i take it you have only really seen snowblades, or maybe head easys. so much more to skiboarding than what they offer. you would be suprised by what you are able to do on skiboards, my boards are truly all mountain boards
snow conditions
graeme, on a serious note what is it like falling at speed with fixed blades on your feet that do not release, also how easy is it to get up off your backside, say, in comparison to snowboarding. Also are you selling them? wink
ski holidays
rayscoops, seriously .... its no different to falling on skis, well to me its not, i very rarely fall though. i think when you do something for as long you kinda get used to falling, and sorta react to the fall, so to limit any impact/injuries. nope not selling them, infact looking to buy more, a slightly longer and slightly shorter set,
latest report
Just popped of to google a few things. Interestingly snowblades may or may not be safer in the total number of injuries, but the type of injury seems more serious in that you are more likely to break a leg or twist a knee than compared with skis and snowboards. Snowboarders seem to have more injuries like wrist sprains etc but the snowblades seem to have more serious injuries. So they seem to be safer statistically but the type of injury is a lot more heavy duty. But statistics can be twisted !!

http://www.ski-injury.com/stats1.htm

http://www.ski-injury.com/snowblade.htm#Introduction
ski holidays
glad i dont have snowblades then
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm pretty sure snowblades w/ releasable bindings will be the safest things about injury wise... I have to question "all mountain blades" though since "all mountain skis" usually are poo so I can't really imagine what chopping them in half does to fix that Smile I switched back to full lengths while in Fernie cos my poor blades felt a bit overwhelmed by steep and deep stuff - actually preferring full lengths at the mo but I feel like blades advanced my skiing a lot very quickly Smile
snow report
graeme wrote:
glad i dont have snowblades then

The only people I've seen differentiate between snowblades and skiboards are people who use skiboards. Do you think the people who collected the statistics that rayscoops referred to would make such a fine distinction?
snow report
Quote:

what is it like falling at speed with fixed blades on your feet that do not release,

You break things. Ankle and femur, in the last one I saw.
snow conditions
toiletduckuk, simple thing is "dont buy blades" buy real skiboards, then steep and deep is no problem at all
snow conditions
Lizzard, what every time?? i beg to differ
rob@rar, snowblades = salomon= foam core, narrower than skiboards.
ski holidays
graeme wrote:
Lizzard, what every time?? i beg to differ
rob@rar, snowblades = salomon= foam core, narrower than skiboards.

I know what they are (I have a pair). The majority of people don't seem discriminate between snowblades (or Snowblades™) and skiboards, other than some skiboarders who for reasons that I can't understand want to make a big deal of the fact they use skiboards not snowblades. I find it curious; I don't differentiate between my skinny slalom skis and my fat off-piste skis - they're just skis - so can't understand the passion with which some people highlight they're a skiboarder.
ski holidays
graeme, my mistake, i should have said skiboards, damn dangerous things I think Very Happy snowblades the same wink
ski holidays
rob@rar, actually the stats are referenced as relating to skiboards
ski holidays
but when you have used both there is a whole world of difference between them. people may want to make a big deal of it because there is a big deal of difference in performance. snowblades performance wise are crap, salomon did do a better board called the sb10, this was a tad better but still lacked compared to the likes of boards produced by summmit/revel/spruce/loken/snowjam/and the old line range. i started off on salomon and will never go back to them. plus like you say snowblade is just a trademark, skiboarders is actually the correct term
snow report
graeme, maybe you should relax a bit and not worry what the funny little planks are called. Seriously though I thought your post was a tad misleading, even though I am sure it was a ''bit tongue in cheek' wink
latest report
graeme wrote:
like you say snowblade is just a trademark, skiboarders is actually the correct term

Maybe it's just my imagination, but there seems to be a tone of condescension from "skiboarders" towards "snowbladers" in much the way that some skiers are condescending towards people who ski on short things, no matter what you call them.
latest report
I think people call them snowblades because its the easiest to say and most explanatory name for them.
when i hear ski board i think "what the hell is that", it doesn't strike me as an obvious name for a really short ski.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy