Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is my Skiing Level VIDEO

Poster: A snowHead
We have started to work on adding video to our skiing level guide

The first is one for our level 4 skiers, we have decided to use real skiers to show a range of styles, body shapes, confidence levels etc.

The audio still needs to be done on these but any comments would be gratefully received, I have quite a few more to do and would like to get it right early on...

https://vimeo.com/channels/insideoutskiinglevels
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are the people supposed to be 'demonstrating' the text that comes up along with them?

Other than that it's a much easier to understand reference than the text for sure.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
meh, not particularly... the text is the key points that describe each level in terms of what you think you do as well as what we see when trying to determine a skiers levels and corresponds to our guide
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret, I think it's a great idea, especially showing a range of skiers, styles etc. Would also be interesting to get some outside shots as well if possible IMHO.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks good skimottaret. Personally, I would like to see the points keyed to the video - if only because I automatically started looking at that aspect of the skier's performance when the point came up.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skimottaret, not what you're asking, but I think I'd want my permission sought. (That said, after the 'brushes' incident, there's not much further to go in making an ass of myself.) Just sayin'...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, The L4 people would only be with us Inside, I have to go through a lot of clips but at our later stages may include some outside shots... problem with that is that it is on quite variable terrain and snow conditions which unless you were there you cant relate to the performance. Always a problem as per BASI's level clips for bumps for instance

FlyingStantoni, I sorta tried to do that but it will be tough to get clips that show the level and the specific key point at the same time... by adding the text it (hopefully) kept your attention over a longish video which i thought would just get boring real fast if showed 5-8 skiers doing roughly the same thing. however only having one or two would make it too prescirptive..

Pedantica, On the "Success Stories" when we name the individual we will get permission, but on the general clips as per photos on our website we will use but remove if there is an objection.

As a general question did anyone find the watermark on the top of the screen annoying?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret, I really like it, I think it's a great idea and as detailed and well written as your Skiing Levels descriptions are, in this case a picture (video) really does speak a thousand words.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I really liked seeing more than one skier demonstrating the level and it was brilliant seeing fellow students skiing(as opposed to an instructor demoing a textbook example). Very cool. But it was maybe a tad too long at 1:30 for demonstrating the level.

How many levels are you going to do videos for?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret, what FlyingStantoni said. I was trying to see if they were examples of the things as they popped up in the video and was quite distracted that they weren't obviously so. I think the immediate assumption if you show things captioned like that is the subject matter on screen relates to the caption directly (e.g. interviewees names). Possibly listing the criteria in one go at the start and end might make it less confusing.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Elston, tough compromise between length and enough skiers to give a good cross section.. could be a bit shorter and I am thinking about a minute as a target for each.. am planning to do levels 4-10 on our scale. might even throw in a 13 for fun... (he did have a lousy day at Hemel) Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
meh, fair points, will have to think that through and try a few ideas out...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On the length thing, I think shorter would be better as these videos are going to be used comparatively. People will look at the levels either side of where they think they are to try and judge where they fit in. So I don't think the number of skiers is as important as the quality of the skiing being right for the level.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Put me down for a seven and a half Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman, you have any video i can nick ? (and are you sure you arent a 7.3? snowHead
ski holidays
skimottaret, yeah I totally agree that there is a balance to be made. But in anycase the videos look great and I am looking forward to seeing more.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 31-05-12 22:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I'd just like to see Pedantica's footage used to illustrate every level including the new Malcolm Tucker level.
ski holidays
If you get desperate for a level 6 give me a shout and I'll book up a session, (I'm fairly convinced that I am a 6, though you might decide I'd do a 5 more justice).
snow report
fatbob, Embarassed
snow conditions
more importantly, where will you hide the bloopers video on your site Smile
ski holidays
Really useful. I agree about trying to get the text to match, but understand how tricky this may be.

I look forward to the level 5 and 6 to figure out where I fit.
snow conditions
I may try a voice over but usually hate them .. "hi this is Chad from super software inc. " I have a crap american accent and rob is well how can I say this politely .... Welsh wink
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
I have a crap american accent and rob is well how can I say this politely .... Welsh wink

Laughing Laughing

I'm pleased to see that I might be more than a 4
latest report
skimottaret, looks good, it will be interesting to see how you cover the higher levels and differentiate between them indoors as it all starts to be more about form on terrain & gradients from 8ish upwards.

Maybe you could video each of the higher levels at different times of the day, so you can see how level 8-10 can both hold form doing varied turn shapes to carving runs in the morning but then send them both out again doing the same turns in the evening maybe after the Monday night club have done 4 hours on it Toofy Grin to show the difference in the levels.
ski holidays
Unless we can bring Richard Burton back from the dead my vote would be for no voice overs Laughing
ski holidays
rob@rar, Laughing I agree, no voice overs. Nothing personal of course Toofy Grin

Really good to see them skiing down nicely and in control. Not always the case with people at that level at Hemel...
ski holidays
Great idea guys, it may also work to splice in a few close up stills on some levels, agree no voice overs !
ski holidays
have edited the levels video to get to be a minute long, did some colour and audio balancing and have tried to order the clips to highlight the text...

https://vimeo.com/channels/insideoutskiinglevels

any better? (the first draft is below the main video)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As an extension (ha ha, no pun and all that), of the idea, how about taking video of an an instructor demonstrating say the first 6 or so levels?

Having looked (albeit a few years ago now) at taking BASI 1 (or 3 as it was then) and been assessed beforehand, my instructor explained that to teach someone from scratch, you have to be able to go back to skiing basics to demonstrate the required action/movement....if you provide the video for each earlier level with a link within the list, I wonder whether that might be more helpful?
snow report
Chasseur, I really dislike instructor "dumbed down" demos to show levels, they dont capture the differences in style, confidence, etc that a few real world clips can do... Other ski schools have already done that so it would just be replication for us.. trying to do something different and hopefully will make a better connection with people who can better identify with the demo...
snow report
skimottaret, length appears much more 'watchable' to me, still think you need some music on there or something.

You need an inside out theme song Smile

Greg

PS I hope Rob has lost/deleted the video he took of me at Hemel Laughing
ski holidays
kitenski, Tah i think about a minute is right for these, will have to have a think about a music track...

we still have your video and you may make an appearance wink lets see is Greg a Level 6, 7 ,8 or ? mwahhh hahh hahh the power I wield Toofy Grin
latest report
hmm, off to investigate blocking videos on Vimeo Twisted Evil

Here's a theme tune for you Smile
http://youtube.com/v/YPAwrtm-JK8
snow report
kitenski, you'll be fine, unless you signed the model release form! wink Puzzled
ski holidays
Thanks guys, have a look at Level 5
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
Chasseur, I really dislike instructor "dumbed down" demos to show levels, they dont capture the differences in style, confidence, etc that a few real world clips can do... Other ski schools have already done that so it would just be replication for us.. trying to do something different and hopefully will make a better connection with people who can better identify with the demo...

Fair point - and appreciate what you're saying.
snow conditions
Much better IMHO.

Clear, to the point.

Words complement the video.

Having a different camera angle - side on panning - will give additional information.

I'm an advocate of voiceover but that may be more approptriate in a different type of clip.
latest report
Have reports of the death of this thread been exaggerated?
snow conditions
Mosha Marc, there was a different thread that has disappeared not this one.
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
You need an inside out theme song Smile
Googling for "inside out lyrics" gives lots of possibilities!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy