Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hello and Chile

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Thought i'd introduce myself as i've just signed up and new here, done a couple of seasons in canada on a working holiday visa and was abit of a ski bum, but sadly due to finanical reasons im back in the uk and working full time and not getting much time to hit the slopes and search for pow.

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone to Chile and when is a good time to visit, i was thinking of going early september.

Thanks
Tom
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tom, I went skiing in Vallee Nevado (an hour's drive from Santiago) couples of years ago.
Snow in early September should be OK, although I went in mid July.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Tom, I was there last year for the first two weeks of September and it was great. Visited Tres-Valles near Santiago, Chillan and Corralco. Thinking of going again this year but slightly earlier.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chillan has the best skiing.

http://www.nevadosdechillan.com/

If you do a search on this forum I have written some posts in the past.

Driving upto Portillio can be an eye opener

snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sounds good!

Im not sure if i should go with a pre arranged package tour or if i should travel by myself and try and chase the storms if i can.. It would be my first skiing trip by myself but im in search of powder.. any chances for heavy dumps in first 2 weeks of september?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tom, keep an eye on this thread, and have a read through the previous years.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/244666-South-America-2012
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ExSkiBum, Have been to Chile many times - wonderful country - airfare expensive but once you are there much cheaper than Europe. Check out the weather -can be heavy dumps in early September - August great time as resorts very quiet except for international teams training. Off piste does not get skied out quickly and no restrictions. If you go to La Parva, part of the 3 resorts in the Three Valleys, try the couloir, La Chiminera! Cheap accommodation in Farellones but you can also catch the bus daily - 1.5 hours - from Santiago - 40 hairpin bends on the steep road up - light breakfast recommended! Personally I prefer making my own plans - useful to speak Spanish but more people speak English now.
Don't forget to enjoy a pisco sour or 2!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ExSkiBum, http://amity-tours.com/tours-2012/skiing/

these do some fab packages , i am looking at one for eight days in august, late august seemed to be the best time to visit , but not easily done on the cheap tho snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tip

Personally, I would not book anything until the first dumps arrive. South America is notorious for its reliable snow record. The rocky terrain in Portillo,Valle Nevado & Las Lenas in Argentina need good cover ( a bit like French resorts) otherwise you will need to take your rock skis . They do not have the degree of sophisticated snow making but this may off changed .

When I been I made sure there was 1 Metre on the hill before booking an flights.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I instruct in Portillo, was my first year last year and heading back in a few weeks. The best time of season last year was definitely August, and from what I heard that's pretty normal. I'd say if you're going for 2 weeks, the second half of August is the time when you're most likely to have coverage and some fresh snow. September was warm after the first week. But as stanton said, it is rocky, even when there's coverage the rocks are still razor sharp, but hell, skis are for skiing on, not looking pretty.

They've had a great start already though, so fingers crossed for a bumper season.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Be great if you can post regular updates please jimmer, for those of us who can drop everything if it's going off.

Thanks.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the advice guys, will certainly keep an eye on the base layer depth before booking anything. I've already got some core shots on my skiis so razor sharp rocks don't put me off. More battle scars to add to the collection from off piste adventures.

Am i right in thinking that most the resorts are high and little tree skiing? But some awesome steeps and chutes etc? I've never had any formal avalanche training, is it easy to get a quick course for a day at the main resorts?

These days i don't do any exercise, had shine splints which sometimes flare up, my knees are buggered and i've put on a stone and a half since my back to back season days. Therefore im abit of a burn out on the hill, atleast i felt like i was when i went for a week trip in spring conditions in spain this season, this is making me think playing it by ear would be best rather than doing a package so if im spent after a day i can take it at my own pace.

I really wanna find some pow and seems like late august is best for that? Im going on a business trip to the US and was planning on flying from Boston to Chile, hoping that it would make my flight cheaper, that trip is the last week of august so only really can go the first week of September.

What sort of prices would i be looking at all in for a week or 2 week trip do you think?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Packages are not cheap.The market is focussed on rich Americans (your meet plenty of them).Everything
Is priced Around the US $. Hotels are not as cheap as you may expect.I reckon your be looking
At $5000 for two weeks (inc flight) in just one area. Moving around expect more$$.

The last time I went I did an open jaw ticket with Swiss. To Buenos Aires return from Santiago.
I went to a backstreet travel agent in BA & they fixed everything. Discount lift tickets,internal flights,car hit.
Took them allay why I sightsee BA. I saved a fortune
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sure Mike, I'll try and throw some photos and videos on here as the season progresses.

The cheapest rooms in Portillo (dorm) cost $800 a week for full board and lift pass, which I think is not bad value really. As for avvy danger, the inbounds off piste (still very steep and challenging) is relatively safe, if it's open, it's unlikely to slide, though I do sometimes ski with a transceiver inbounds anyway. Don't know about anywhere else, but at Portillo we don't offer anything beyond an avvy beacon briefing for those going heliskiing, I'd be surprised if anywhere else had courses in English.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We are headed to Portillo the last week in August. My travel companions are getting nervous. If anyone could post some shots of the snow cover, it might ease (or heighten, depending on the outcome) everyone's worries about enough snow. I would really appreciate any real time info on snow cover. We are so looking forward to our summer ski adventure.
snow report
Season opening delayed until 30 June.

67" of snowfall so far. 37" settled.

From the web site.

Plenty of time between now and when you're going.
snow report
Thank you for the update! The anticipation is fun, but you can go crazy watching the weather forecasts!Smile
ski holidays
Actually, after a big snowfall a few days ago, Portillo is opening today! Looks great too, would post pics but am struggling to do it on mobile, for good updates like their Facebook page. I get down there later in the week so I will try and post something then.
ski holidays
Great.

Enjoy.

Keep us posted please.
snow conditions

From a friends Facebook this morning, It's looking good!
snow conditions
Superb
snow report
jimmer, nice!
snow report
That is much better. So beautiful. Now we can daydream properly. Thank you for the update.
snowHead
snow report
Is the lake frozen yet? I am hoping it will be frozen before we arrive, just in case I wind up on it!Smile

Last year, Ski Portillo had one of its employees writing a blog. That made it easier to find out about the snowfalls. It has been hard to find any real time snow depths.

Counting the days...
ski holidays
The lake isn't frozen yet. It wasn't at this time of year last year though, still time. The skiing here is great at the moment though, lots of runs open that we didn't ski until August last year.
snow conditions
I just made a new thread for updates on conditions, 'TR Portillo 2012'.
snow report
Hi

I found a report here on the base levels of some of the Chilean resorts. http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Chile/

Says that Valle Nevado has received the most so far?

Still haven't booked anything, may fly from london and not from my business trip in Boston as barely anything in the cost of the flights, both are similar.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy