Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon Lords delaminated (Snow & Rock)

Poster: A snowHead
I just returned a pair of Salomon Lord Skis to Snow and Rock due to delamination on one of the rear tips. At first when I rang them about it, they said they would look at repairing them. There are 4 months old and only had 3 weeks skiing!!! When I took them back to the shop they immediately told me it was impact damage without a proper inspection. The guy actually said that all they can do is send them back to Salomon, and it was very likely that the inspection will result as impact damage. My main annoyance with them is their attitude. Everything they said pointed towards it being my fault. The guy even suggested the best thing to do was to claim on my insurance.

Is this the biggest load of dangly bits!? To say I was not pleased is putting it mildly. Anyway I am awaiting the outcome from Salomon. If it does not go my way then I will publish pictures of the damage. I know that it was not impact damage.

I want nothing less than a brand new pair of skis.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skis should be built to withstand impacts withing normal use. The lord is s freeride ski, albeit a skinny one, and freeride means you might *just* give it some heft.

Saw several people on tornados this season that were losing the cap at the tail. Good luck, hopefully the guys at salomon will give you a better result than crappy S&R service.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mate of mine on dynastars this season is on this 3rd set due to delamination...intersport in bsm (retailer) just doesn't quibble - chucks out a pair of 'loan skis' whilst they sent his back and got a new set..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

user
Location: Swindon, WiltshireI just returned a pair of Salomon Lord Skis to Snow and Rock due to delamination on one of the rear tips. At first when I rang them about it, they said they would look at repairing them. There are 4 months old and only had 3 weeks skiing!!! When I took them back to the shop they immediately told me it was impact damage without a proper inspection. The guy actually said that all they can do is send them back to Salomon, and it was very likely that the inspection will result as impact damage. My main annoyance with them is their attitude. Everything they said pointed towards it being my fault. The guy even suggested the best thing to do was to claim on my insurance.

Is this the biggest load of dangley bits!? To say I was not pleased is putting it mildly. Anyway I am awaiting the outcome from Salomon. If it does not go my way then I will publish pictures of the damage. I know that it was not impact damage.

I want nothing less than a brand new pair of skis.

Which snow = rock was this? I usually get a great service from my local!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Inverted8, salomon are normally pretty fair on warranties, however delamination of the tail of a ski is an interesting one and i see several each season which have been caused by impact, generally people slamming the ski into the snow at lunch and there not being as much snow as they hoped...hard to believe this season!!!!

i handle the warranties for both dynastar and Atomic and it is the one delam which is hardest to determine...no need for the atitude from them though

good luck, and if you need someone to look at them who has seen a lot of delams over the years give me a call
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I never mistreated/abused them - they're £500! Always kept them in good condition and can't even bear people touching them in the lift queue. I pack them into my ski bag with padding when I travel! Slamming them into the snow for lunch - these are steel edged tips! Can't see how this can cause the top layer to come off. Anyway, this is how everyone 'park their skis' - why should these be any different. I sort of agree with Cunners - these are freeride skis and should be able to withstand MUCH bigger impacts than I can subject it to in normal use.

One thing that is apparent is that the top sheet is easily scored and there is no protector on the edges of these skis.

I live in Swindon, you work out which branch it is wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is this a trend..? Missions can have this type of history as well.. Head even ended up rivetting their tips....but at least the problems seemed to stop there.

Maybe the price breaks you get on some skis isn't worth it in the end....and I have paid particular attention and interest to this this year..

IMV, the thing that impresses me the most is how a ski reacts to hitting a few rocks..not that you want to test this too often..and if your bases come off well
as do the edges then the build is ok.. I'd expect that ethic/quaility to be reflected in the overall build and glue process as well.

There are some skis makers I would tend to aviod...but how scientific that tendency is, I wouldn't like to guess..
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Inverted8, wooowww, i was stating facts, i deal with warranties for two companies as an independant, every case is individual, but if this is the sort of atitude which you are giving me on an internet forum when i make some suggestions then i am not suprised you got the atitude in S&R

they will send them back, salomon will make a decision end of. as i siad they are pretty fair with warranties, problem is we [and i am sure they] see several pairs of skis which have obvious impact damage [impact can be acidental as well as abuse, but it is still impact]

yes i know you are upset about your new skis being damaged but pleasedon't take out your anger at me or anyone else on this forum, it's a nicer place to hang out for the most part and people getting all pissy are not the most welcome type of user as i am sure others will agree

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 31-03-09 20:40; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As an aside.. I went back to a supplier about some poles and they said, send them back and they will replace under warranty. Now, I wasn't that pleased to break a carbon pole in the 1st place but with that response I promptly brought another pr to run as spares... I am happy and put the breakage down to a bad and wrong fall
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I live in Swindon, you work out which branch it is

Where?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheapo Salomon's IMO.....ran a test centre in France for 4 years and all I had was problems, if I were you I'd try to get a refund and spend your money on a company that makes decent ski's. Best of luck getting the refund/new ski's, they should be cool with it once their tech's have a look and see there's no impact damage, had the same problem on some Movement Joystick's a few years ago and luckily dealing with a smaller company who cares has it's benefits!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CEM. I wasn't having a go at you. Looks like my reply was misinterpreted. I'm just venting my frustration too openly. I'm not used to posting on forums.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
alpinequeen wrote:
Quote:

I live in Swindon, you work out which branch it is

Where?

Bristol Cribbs Causeway is probably the closest
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Inverted8, no problems

see what salomon say, my guess is that they will cover it....if not i have some great glue and there is always the insurance route Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Was it Bristol Snow and Rock by any remote chance and was the person you spoke to a know all bloke?

I think the one I'm thinking of is a deputy manager, or even manager, short dark (maybe brown) hair, reasonably tall and thin, quite often wears a gilet?

I've had previous with that one, all the rest of the staff there are pretty helpful in my experience (except when deferring to him!) but I've avoided the place in the last year or so after having one too many disagreements with said individual who seems to think he wrote the book on pretty much any snowsports related subject you care to name. The only book I'd say he wrote was the one about p*ssing off customers with an arrogant and high-handed attitude!

A complete back passage hole IMHO!
latest report
JT wrote:
Is this a trend..? Missions can have this type of history as well.. ..

Ouch. So far my Missions have taken normal usage - but I shall be even more careful from now on.

Getting back to the OP, he may have a case against the retailer (maybe be some of the legal professional sHs could comment) if Salamon do not play ball. Perhaps filing a case in the Small Claims Court might result in a satisfactory settlement.
snow report
achilles, all very well, but determine not fit for purpose verses mis-use....... then try and prove either

it is all well and good to say these are freeride skis designed top take abuse...but then define abuse or normal use

Quote:
In general, the onus is on all purchasers to prove the goods did not conform to contract (e.g. was inherently faulty)

BTW i know exactly who will come in at this point and quote all sorts of consumer law
[/quote]
latest report
CEM, could be worth a pop at filing a claim. For a start, the retailer may not want to face the hassle and expense of preparing a defence, especially as there is no certainty that even if he does win in court, he will recover any costs. So an out-of-court settlement might result, I suppose. However, the plaintiff needs to be aware that Small Claims Courts are not always cost free.
latest report
achilles,

Met someone on his 3rd pr in France recently within a year...so that worked out about 6 weeks each as he lives out there.!!!!!!!!!!! and heard it from somone else but can't recall who.. but then I also skied with 4 others who used them this year and they are entirely happy.
I must admit I do like a ski that can take a bit of abuse...but that doesn't mean I abuse them...far from it... I don't put dings in hire-skis unless I really really can't avoid it.. so am not going to do that to mine either...
ski holidays
JT, thanks for the heads up - I certainly could not afford to get through 3 pairs! I do try to be careful with them, but I also do the tails-into-the-snow stack at restaurants. I shall be wary of that in future. So far, I have been delighted with the Missions.
ski holidays
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll await the outcome from Salomon before I say anything else, and then act. One of the reasons for the original posting was find out how common delamination is and other peoples experience with this sort of thing. These are my first set of skis and were my pride and joy. I was thinking I must be very unlucky to have this just happen to me. I've alway liked Salomon, this incident has severely dented my perception of them. Will keep you all posted.
snow conditions
Unless the world has changed since I left the UK, Salomon UK will have received 'extra' pairs of skis as part of their bulk purchase, specifically to give to customers who have broken skis or warranty claims .

Call Salomon direct and tell them the tale. I suspect they will be horrified at S&R's attitude and hand over a new pair with their apologies PDQ.

Over the years that I skied Rossis while based out of in the UK, I broke quite a few pairs, some de-laminated, some just snapped Puzzled (Way back in the days of Rossi ST and SMs, no relationship inferred to their modern skis) and Fry and Cowel, the UK importers never whimpered at all about handing over replacements..
snow conditions
colinmcc, when did you leave the Uk...... yes there is a warranty budget, but it is virutal there is no pile of skis in the corner incase a pair breaks Little Angel
snow report
achilles, His shop exchamged them without question so far..altho he was local in the BSM valley so it still meant he had to spend a day going up to Val D to change them...
Other than that he loved them.......
latest report
So Inverted8 was it Bristol and if it was Bristol who was it that was so unhelpful?

I'd love to know if it was the bloke I describe above Twisted Evil
snow report
CEM,

Headed to Canada in 1992.... Is Eric Davies still in charge of Salomon?
ski holidays
I had exactly the same problem as OP (also on Salomon Lord), but took less than 2 weeks use for one of the tails to delaminate, not impressed!

Took 'em back to S&R who sent them back to Salomon - took 8 weeks to get sorted but I have just heard they are giving me store credit for the full purchase price. Still not sure whether that means they have refunded the bindings too or I have to choose another ski to fit my existing STH12's onto. Either way I guess I can't complain.

P.
latest report
pauly69 wrote:
I had exactly the same problem as OP (also on Salomon Lord), but took less than 2 weeks use for one of the tails to delaminate, not impressed!

P.

Very Interesting! That's 2 pairs so far and counting......
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Update, popped into S&R with letter I received from their head office and they offered to refund the full cost of skis and bindings, including the £75 trade in I got for my old skis when I bought duting their wax up weekend last November - £473.95. That's refund - not store credit! Great result, great service, no complaints.

No doubt I will get stiffed next season when the prices go through the roof but that's another story!

P.
latest report
pauly69, result, check Kiwi1s thread for his end of season sell off, you may end up doing nicely out of it Smile
snow report
pauly69, Buy now get a deal in the sales, if you can find something in the sales, and you got to ski the Lords for free Very Happy Best of all your not stuck with them and you can get something good Twisted Evil (Sorry they're not my kind of ski)
snow report
Guys.

RESULT!

I got the same offer as pauly69 - a full store credit or refund (up to original full purchase price).

Any suggestions on what to do? Do I wait till next season or buy this seasons at discount? Considering that I may not go skiing again till next season.

My original gripe was not so much S & R , but the attitude of certain members of staff there. Anyway seems that everything has turned out satisfactory. I still would have prefered my skis to not have had the defect in the first place.
snow report
Yup, I agree should look for a bargain now really. Bit of a sucker for a new graphic tho'. What to do?!!?

Inverted8, yes it is a shame they were defective - I really liked them while the tail wasn't flapping but in the end I'm glad to get rid - they clearly were not built too well - lots of damage around the edges of the top sheet on mine considering the amount of time they were used.

Pleased you have also had a +ve result, good luck with your search for a replacement.

P.
snow conditions
pauly69, Inverted8, see kiwi1's latest offer prices on new Icelantic's in the B,S&E section - it's an absolute steal for waaay superior performance build quality!
snow report
kitenski wrote:
pauly69, result, check Kiwi1s thread for his end of season sell off, you may end up doing nicely out of it Smile
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
pauly69, Inverted8, see kiwi1's latest offer prices on new Icelantic's in the B,S&E section - it's an absolute steal for waaay superior performance build quality!
snow report
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
snow conditions
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, I see I've trained you well wink
ski holidays
I was tempted to pick up a pair of the Salomon Lords but after reading this thread I'm now not so sure. My question is, can you recommend an alternative ski with similar dims, I was also looking at the Armada ARV's but other recommendations would be helpful. I was looking at the lord's in a 177.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy