Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What will be open in Tignes in July?

Poster: A snowHead
I have organised a motorcycle trip for the first week of July 2013 staying in the Bec Rouge in Tignes le Lac. I understand that the Pallafour and Aeroski are open and free for pedestrians but does anyone know how many of the shops/bars etc we can expect to be open? Also does anyone have any experience of motorcycle parking in Tignes? The Bec Rouge does have underground parking but the apartment we are in doesn't own a space. Any info gratefully received Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Spar in Lac.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
About half the restaurants and bars, maybe a bit less. Some of the ski hire shops will open with summer stuff and VTT hire. Certainly in Val Thorens the paring rules aren't enforced in the summer as the car parks aren't open.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The main carparks are free during the summer, look on the resort website.

You should be able to borrow a key for the Bec Rouge parking from your rental agency to unload.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lockkeeper, You will find enough open to keed you entertained. IIRC the underground carparks will be open, and free to use (they were the last time I was there).

Just watch out for the millions of mountain bikers riding around with little sense of direction !
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
None of the apartments in Le Bec Rouge have a designated parking space in the car park below. Throughout the winter season and main summer season, the spaces have to be paid for. 3 euros or 6 euros a day depending on the size of the bay. For cars they are very tight. You would be able to get more than one bike in a bay so it depends how handy you want your bikes. Spaces are organised through the guardien. There will be loads of free space the week you are there so you should be able to sort it out when you arrive. The guardien who looks after the parking is in block 2 and his wife speaks perfect English. To enter the car park with a vehicle, you need a remote control for the garage door. (Available through the guardien)

As already said, the main car parks are free outside of the winter season. The nearest to Bec Rouge is Le Lac 3. The first week of July will be pretty quiet and limited for restaurants and bars as the school holidays will not have started. If you are able, I would advise doing your food/wine shopping in Bourg St Maurice at Super U or Lidl. The Spar in resort is extortionate!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snow conditions are usually fairly good on the glacier in early July - so probably worth a summer slide while you are there. There'll be up to 20km of piste open.

For any non-skiers, the funicular trip up the glacier would be worth it for the views & experience.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone for the sound advice. I've been to Tignes loads of times in Winter but this will be the first time in summer. I expect we'll end up paying for a space or two in the Bec Rouge car park and cramming the bikes in there. More secure than the main parking I would think. Sound advice about shopping in BSM, although boot space is at a premium in most motorcycles! I dont think I'll get to do any skiing with all those twisty mointain roads calling! I never did like hire boots anyway. Will definately go up to the glacier as well as the Aeroski (if its still there next summer!)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's a fair amount of mountain biking goes on there in summer.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
I dont think I'll get to do any skiing with all those twisty mountain roads calling!
Up and over the Col de L'Iseran is fantastic - particularly down the other side into Italy. There are one or two lovely rustic villages (in France) en route.

On the skiing front, the glacier opens at 07.30 - so you'll have loads of time to ski AND go biking Laughing !
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ah! I recall the col de l'Iseran on a motor bike. We started that day in Briancon went over to Italy then back over the Cenis pass to France, up the Arc valley to Bonneval-sur-Arc and over the Col de l'Iseran. We finished the day by going over the Commet d'Roseland and hence to Annecy. It felt like a hard day on the motor bike, but its probably been a single day on the Tour d'France!

The col de l'Iseran doesn't go to Italy BTW, that is the Col de Petit st Bernard, which though high and popular with cyclists is nowhere near as senic or as nice as the Iseran. We have known the Iseran still closed in June.

Lockkeeper, if you haven't been to a ski resort in summer you will love it, but tuck some hiking kit onto your bike to make the most of the trip
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
The col de l'Iseran doesn't go to Italy BTW
Puzzled Well it certainly did when we went to Tignes (and back) from Turin Airport - ie via Bonneval sur Arc and Val Cenis!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Well it certainly did when we went to Tignes (and back) from Turin Airport - ie via Bonneval sur Arc and Val Cenis!

Bonneval and Val Cenis are in France at the top end of the Maurienne valley. You have to go over another pass, or through the Frejus tunnel to get to Italy. It has been over 100 years since this area became part of France
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountainaddict, johnE, Talk about splitting geographical hairs!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnE : quite right 160ish. Although some of the Ligue Savoisienne would argue France was quite lax in observing and cancelling the various conditions of the Treaty of Annexion.
I would assume mountainaddict is confused with either Petit St Bernard if you are in Tarentaise and Col du Mont Cenis if you are in Maurienne.
snow conditions
Quote:
I would assume mountainaddict is confused with either Petit St Bernard if you are in Tarentaise and Col du Mont Cenis if you are in Maurienne
No, no confusion rolling eyes - I definitely left Tigmes by car, definitely, crossed the Col De l'Iseran and definitely ended up in Italy - though I accept that that was ultimately via the Col du Mont Cenis so was not as direct as my original post may have implied.

For absolute clarification, I accept that the original post should not have read
Quote:
Up and over the Col de L'Iseran is fantastic - particularly down the other side into Italy
but should have had the word 'into' replaced by 'towards.'

For this I apologise unreservedly and stand corrected......all thanks to my orthopaedic footbeds Confused
ski holidays
The top cable car in Tignes has had another cable dropping incident. 7 hurt apparently. So I expect that won't be open for a while.

http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2012/06/27/douze-skieurs-legerement-blesses-par-la-chute-d-un-cable-de-remontee-mecanique
snow report
snowbunny wrote:
The top cable car in Tignes has had another cable dropping incident. 7 hurt apparently. So I expect that won't be open for a while.

http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2012/06/27/douze-skieurs-legerement-blesses-par-la-chute-d-un-cable-de-remontee-mecanique

That's not the cable car, that's the T-bar serving the Rosolin which derailed today. The cable car is running fine. Rosolin derailed yesterday at about 9am, although not sure how severely, and was running again before midday.
snow conditions
rob@rar, Thanks for clarifying. Good news on the c/c, not nice for the folks that were whacked with the cable Sad
latest report
Lockkeeper, Back to the original question - have just arrived in Le Lac - firstly lots of building work in Le Lac so beware pop up diversions traffic lights etc! le Lac is slowly waking up, The Alpaka, Escale Blanche and Jam Bar (thanks to Rocco and Delphine for a great arrabiata for lunch!) are already open and are all close to Bec Rouge. Marmotte Arms and Loop opening next week. TCs and Scottys open in Lavachet - so plently of scope for bars. Terrachu by the lakeside open for lunch - will try there tomorrow.
latest report
chocksaway, Looks like we'll be all right for a few places in the evening then. Glad the Alpaca and Jam bar are open. Outside the Loop must be a real sun trap in the summer!
snow conditions
Lockkeeper, Yip - there are a few people in need of good aftersun after yesterday - about 23degs up here and a very strong sun - had to go shopping in Albertville today - way too hot at 28 degs for that malarkey. The Arbina opens tomorrow for another evening meal option.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy