Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions for a resort near Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I have flights booked to Geneva for the 19th January. I am planning on going to Crans Montana to stay with a relative but this will not be confirmed until much nearer the time.

I'm after suggestions for other suitable resorts in the area. I would like to have the following:

A mixture of harder blue runs and some easier red's
A snowpark
Prefer to self cater but will consider a hotel (need 1 double and 1 single room)
Some apres ski but not too lively
Within 2.5 hours of Geneva
Not too bothered about the mileage available, anything about 50K will do

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

We have previously been to Borovets, Les 2 Alpes, Kaprun, Geilo and Crans Montana. Our favourites were Crans and Geilo (although Norway is no good this time).

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Le Grand Bornand would fit geographically and has a large snow park, self catering is the norm and the lift pass can cover the whole Aravis range (inc La Clusaz) the only thing it doesn't really have on your list is much of an Apres scene.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'll look into that. Apres is the least important part as me and my husband aren't that bothered but the person we go with would prefer more to do!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Morzine?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Morzine?
+1. Or Avoriaz, Flaine.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Chamonix. Especially if you are hiring a car. Brevent, La Tour, Les Houches - all great cruising terrain
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megeve?

Nice wide blues and reds on the whole, and fairly quiet on the slopes. More milage than you would need too.

Very little in the way of self catering, although we found a B&B with a kitchen we could use in the evenings, which was perfect for us.

About 2 hrs from Geneva, less if you drive yourselves.

Apres ski is available, but quite relaxed.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
janeed, what method of transport were you using to take 2 hours to get to Megeve from Geneva airport???

hazel richardson, La Clusaz is also a good option for you. I would love to recommend La Giettaz to you, but apres is limited to a few restaurants, a village pub, and our own bar - it's really not a party place.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the various options, I will look at all the places suggested.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Samoens? Only 60km from Geneva (usually takes under an hour), and being a real village rather than just a resort has a bit more variety to offer off slope. Plenty of self catering available, and easy access into the whole Grand Massif area.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Les Gets? An hour from GVA,reasonable park on Mont Cherie lots of cruisy runs apres is pretty busy but not St Anton. A bit of self catering around try www.alpineinspirations.com and speak to Ben or Katy.

Andy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Would definitely vote for Samoens, Le Grand Bornand/La Clusaz, Les Gets/Morzine
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hazel richardson, PM me and as XPeak, says Samoens where I own does sound ideal. It is around 45K depending upon which route your choose - all about 1 hour - Morzine is good as this would also meet your needs. Samoens is part of the Grand Massif: Grand-Massif.com and the area has more than one parc area, plus a good variety of terrain, especially Blues and Reds. Nightlife/aprés is not Verbier with live bands, but plenty of choice. Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm currently working my way through them!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It was a minibus, possibly this one http://www.ski-lifts.com/geneva-airport-transfers/Megeve-Transfers.aspx. We had to change on the way, which took some time, and the traffic was a bit busy.
ski holidays
hazel richardson wrote:
Hi

I have flights booked to Geneva for the 19th January. I am planning on going to Crans Montana to stay with a relative but this will not be confirmed until much nearer the time.
I'm after suggestions for other suitable resorts in the area. I would like to have the following:
A mixture of harder blue runs and some easier red's
A snowpark
Prefer to self cater but will consider a hotel (need 1 double and 1 single room)
Some apres ski but not too lively
Within 2.5 hours of Geneva
Not too bothered about the mileage available, anything about 50K will do
Any suggestions will be gratefully received.
We have previously been to Borovets, Les 2 Alpes, Kaprun, Geilo and Crans Montana. Our favourites were Crans and Geilo (although Norway is no good this time).
Thanks

Hazel, there's a map you can get which shows the distribution of the ski resorts with an emphasis on travelling from the airport (or all the way) by train - the SkiRail Map of the Alps. It also shows how much skiing there is, altitude, vertical drops, lifts etc.
You can see a free sample of the map here http://rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Product_Information.aspx?area=SkiRail_Product_Information
which actually shows most of the area you're interested in.
There are tons of places between Crans and Geneva if you want to give Switzerland a go - they attract relatively few Brits so are less well known over here.
Places include:
Les Diablerets, 2hrs10 train ride from Geneva, 120km of slopes
Leysin, 2:30, 60km
Le Chable/Verbier, 2:05, 400km
Champery, 2:25, 650km
Chateau D'Oex 2:05, 50km

I've been to Chateau, Leysin and Champery and I think they'd all fit in the category of some apres ski but not exactly party towns. Chateau and Leysin have plenty of blues and reds, and Champery is part of the Portes de Soleil so a vast amount of skiing to choose from.
In the past I've stayed down by Lake Geneva (in Vevey and Montreux) and visited different resorts on different days which made a nice change, but it's obviously not everyone's cuppa tea.
Good luck!
N Neige
snow report
Switzerland really only good transferwise if you don't want to hire a car.......
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy