Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's worse than actual bacon in an avalanche?

Poster: A snowHead
This piece of crap

I mean really, a beacon you can't search with?

Their facebook is here if you fancy telling them what you think of it...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
clarky999, Mmm avalanche bacon... Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

A: Actual ham?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Avalanche dogs might find you a bit quicker if you were carrying a few rashers.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
my new favourite thread.

Does it beep when you act rashly?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The only purpose I could imagine these serving is as a disposable training aid which you don't mind losing. Throw it into a snow-drift and use a transceiver to find it. If you can't, then no big deal.

Selling this products is making a number of dangerous assumptions:
1: that the guide themselves are not buried leaving the remaining members of the group unable to search as they only have transmitters
2: A guide that is irresponsible enough to take customers off-piste without a transceiver or the knowledge in how to use one is a dangerous guide that shouldn't be operating. That they might further the false perception of their competence and safety with this device will lull potential, naive customers into a false sense of security.

It takes only a minute or two to demonstrate how a transceiver works enough that pretty much anyone could understand how to operate one.

The only new purpose I could imagine a transmit only beacon might serve is one that you can stash in your rucksack or glue to your skis and operate it on a different frequency so you can find your equipment after you've rescued all the members of your party that you can.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tiffin wrote:
my new favourite thread.

Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah it'll kill stupid people and in particular encourage a false sense of security but I think there is a valid niche if small - that for kids who would be incapable of organising a search themselves as a "just in case" measure. Unfortunately it will be bought by cheapskates who think it'll protect them without a firm understanding of the process or the critical nature of the first 15 minutes.

I think there's also a valid niche in N American inbounds terrain (don't know if Oz works this system) - in theory it's avy controlled but that doesn't stop me beeping on big days, but I'm not too concerned about skiing solo or without probe or shovel. I guess I'm just the sort of selfish pr!ck this could appeal to.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 22-05-12 14:34; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Who knows, but it already seems to have cured my fear of avalanches.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Terrible product, the company should be shut down.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not seen a good word written about this product yet, and their email to me went into my SPAM folder Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
livetoski wrote:
Not seen a good word written about this product yet, and their email to me went into my SPAM folder Toofy Grin

Mine too
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
"devastation in Chamonix in 2006"

???
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Include some eggs and if you're in an avalanche you'll have bacon and scrambled eggs! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This is just a big rind-up isn't it?
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
"devastation in Chamonix in 2006"

???

Obviously referring to the night Munchies couldn't fit you in for a little supper wink
ski holidays
I can see a use for some guided groups - if you are kitting out a bunch of noobs and you don't have much faith in their ability to use the search functionality, at least you can dig them out.

costs less than a new F1

don't see any use for me though
latest report
fatbob, been rather more recent than 2006 that has! Popular place!
snow report
Thinking about it there already is a transmit only system on the market, made by Ortovox!

Its so you can attach it to your dogs collar, I suppose that sort of sums it up really Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
In Snells in chamonix they have send only units but won't sell them to you unless you have a very good story. My friend got one for his dog but not before he had the wee wee ripped out of him for twenty minutes about why the dog wasn't looking for him and not the other way around.
ski holidays
I think fatbob, might be correct there could be a small (pun intended) market for this for kids, those who are two young to take part in any effective search, I would also guess it might be useful for those caught in an avalanche on piste, though rare they do happen and I suppose something to help the searchers find you might be useful, but overall I'm not impressed, I think it will give a false sense of security to people, most likely the same people who already really think they know better than anyone else
snow report
There has been some discussion about the wisdom of attaching beacons to dogs.

What if you spend 15 minutes digging out your dog instead of your mate?

It seems the spec for beacons is waaay due for an update to include ID info.
snow report
Quote:

It seems the spec for beacons is waaay due for an update to include ID info

The Barryvox Pulse will do this, but everyone needs a Pulse in the group for it to work, the newer transceivers onto the market are all about making it as quick and as simple as possible.
ski holidays
I've been trying for ages to work out bacon related puns, but I'm frazzled.
snow report
Quote:

I've been trying for ages to work out bacon related puns, but I'm frazzled.

Smile
latest report
Monium wrote:
I've been frying for ages to work out bacon related puns, but I'm frazzled.

And you walked straight past one Wink

Anyhoo - another doggy (dodgy ?) beacon:
http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Gear/Avalanche-Transmitter

And some old info on snowheads:
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=44880&view=previous

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 22-05-12 19:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Monium wrote:
I've been frying for ages to work out bacon related puns, butty I'm frazzled and ex-sauce-ted
ski holidays
Garlic Sausage is apparently the training tool of choice... but I'm pretty sure I've been with a guide who gave 'transmit only' beacons to the rest of the group.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sticking my neck out here - coz I dunno nufink - but isn't this what Recco is for and isn't it embedded in almost every piece of kit these days anyway?

'spose I'm about to find out that Recco is only 'readable' by specific trackers or something rolling eyes
ski holidays
flowa, yup RECCO will only be found by specific kit. Avalanche transceivers work in a different way.
snow report
flowa wrote:

'spose I'm about to find out that Recco is only 'readable' by specific trackers or something rolling eyes

Yeah according to that Pistehors link.

My stuff doesn't have Recco thingies in either.
snow conditions
flowa, recco is a reflector which reflects a radar signal form a transmitter unit...they are affectionately known as corpse finders (nuff said)
snow conditions
flowa, recco is a reflector, it does not transmit, so the detector sends a signal and the reflector relects it back. Problem with recco is the team with the detector kit have to get to the avalanche.

Bit like naval destroyer pinging a submarine

opps cross post

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 22-05-12 17:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
tiffin wrote:
my new favourite thread.

Yes, and also when you lean back. Toofy Grin
latest report
flowa, yeah recco is different. Now I'm not saying that this is a good product but it might be considered a little bit 'better' than recco. Better but not good enough. Having said that if I only had one beacon I wouldn't mind having one of these to practice with.
snow report
geepee, bravo sir. *applauds*
snow report
geepee. Like a boss.
snow report
On a Snowheads bash a few years back in france...off piste group...I was lent a transmit only beacon by the guide...
Got my own full tranceiver now...and have practised using it - in snow (hard to walk about AND shorter range than you think so organising many people to zig-zag downhill is VITAL)
Still would like to do more training...Still would like my ski-buddies to do MUCH more training.

My next big purchase is and airbag backpack.

I don't think its possible to do a cut-down cheapo airbag system...
ski holidays
lampbus, Lilo and powerful lungs?
latest report
Innertube and a sodastream cartridge.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy