Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas in Zermatt

Poster: A snowHead
Only 3 weeks left until we leave for Zermatt. Flying over from Canada - first time skiing in Zermatt - going
with 12 other people - staying at the Hotel Matterhornblick, from Dec. 19 - 26th. A few questions for
anyone who has been there before:

- what is the best place for ski tickets - are there any discounted tickets available?
- what about ski hire - any recommendations? I see from the swisspass website - if you order
ski passes/ski hire and swiss tranfer tickets there is a bit of discount - probably around 5-10%
- depending on the snow conditions a few would like to hire a guide for some offpiste - anybody
with some experience here - what will it cost?
- do we need to book some of the better restaurants before we get there? What about Christmas
Day Dinner - which is the biggest meal here - does anybody have any recommendations of places
that won't break us financially

- If the forecasted snow does not arrive - what is it like skiing on the Glacier - a few of the youngsters
will be boarding - too many flat sections?

Lots of questions - any help would be appreciated. - Can't wait!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sawni, I don't think you'll get much of a discount, if any, on lift tickets in Zermatt. Swiss Passes deal is modest but worth having, if you are getting Swiss Transfer tickets (which I believe you must get before leaving home, you can't buy them in Switzerland) get them from Swiss Passes too.

Glacier is large but not that flat, I'm sure there will be snow by then, it's very high there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ski set is the cheapest hire place and there are 3 shops in the resort. There is a voucher code somewhere on here for 30% off.

Never been at Christmas so cant help but last went during UK Easter holidays. Most restaurants were fine if you booked on the day, maybe make book the day before to make sure. Unless there is a specific one that you want/have to go to then you may as well book it now.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi,
Zermatt lift passes,
children up to age of 6 free, reduced rate for children 16 and under, smaller reduced rate people under 21. You will have to take your passport to the lift pass office for proof of age.
Check out,
http://www.zermatt.ch/en/page.cfm/lifts_and_pistes/prices

Hope this helps Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is a skishop diagonally across from Gornergrat lift that is great for hiring as you can leave your ski gear there in evening-
if you plan to ski from Kleine Matterhorn next day just tell them, and they will transport your gear there to other shop. ( Or vice versa)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh you lucky lucky thing!!! I went to Zermatt for the first time this June and I absolutely loved it. It must be a true winter wonderland at Christmas.

I boarded on the Glacier and didn't find it a problem. There is a section which runs a little flat towards the end (72 Furggsattel - Trockener Steg), but as long as you pick up speed beforehand I don't see that it would impair your fun in anyway Smile

I believe Walliserhof & Walliserkanne are some of the oldest restaurants in Zermatt http://www.walliserkanne.ch/walliserkanne_zermatt_restaurant_de.htm , http://www.reconline.ch/walliserhof/

Where are you flying into? The journey from Visp to Zermatt has some great scenery. Oh and pay a visit to the Hinterdorf area of the town where some of the oldest buildings are.

You'll love it! Smile

snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the input. We are flying into Zurich and taking the train to Zermatt - which I'm sure takes us through Visp.
Hoping for snow - although I doubt we will be able to ski into the village?
snow report
 brian
brian
sawni, good choice.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't ski to the village, they'll have the snowguns on even if the snow gods don't come through.

Web page for the guides' office is here.

Kids born year 2000 and later get free ski passes, just as well given the adult prices.

You can check out the currently open runs on this page. They already have quite a few runs away from the glacier open.

You should be able to book restaurants when you get there but do book in advance for lunchtimes, December is definitely a month when you'd want to know you're guaranteed an inside table if you need it!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We've been to Zermatt several times for Christmas/New Year and there's been snow in the village (1600 metres) every time - I don't ever remember the runs to the village being closed due to lack of snow, though historically some of the runs didn't open until the main part of Christmas week (could have changed as they seem to have a very customer-focused team running the resort now). In any case, just about all the skiing is above 2000 m. We are so confident of snow that we'll be back again 19th December.

The main meal in the hotel we've stayed in at Christmas is on the evening of Christmas Eve - Christmas officially starts at dusk. In appreciation of non-Catholic visitors, the hotel did special meals on Christmas Day as well, but this wasn't as dressy an occasion as Christmas Eve.

Lunch time on Christmas Day is just another day in the mountains, and is the last relatively quiet day before the New Year bedlam starts. The German/other European clientele arrives in droves on Boxing Day after spending Christmas with their families. This will be even more so this year, as Boxing Day is a Saturday.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sawni,

You'll probably bump into us over there, there is a group of 30 coming to Zermatt for our wedding, and there may be 1 person coming from Toronto which is still to be decided.
We stayed in the Matterhornblick a few years ago and is a lovely family run place.

Here are a few places which you may try for discounts.

You will need to book dinner on 24/12, other than that unless there is somewhere specific you want to go you should be ok

http://www.swisspasses.com/

http://www.snowrental.net/be/ski.asp?atid=snowpromo&lang=en&utm_medium=e-mail&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=RELANCE_SR_UK_NOV2009

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en.cfm/home/?gclid=CMj9j4mXrZ4CFRiX2AodH3DYlQ
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When I am in Zermatt I buy my pass from the Gornergratt mountain railway station which is opposite the main railway station - you can't miss it. They take cash,maestro and all major credit cards. Make sure you buy the international pass if you want to ski over the border in to Italy - well worth the trip . If you like good food and want to treat youself to a good lunch, the best mountain restaurants are at a hamlet called Findeln. You can gain access to this area via the Sunegga funicular.
You have chosen well I have skied all over Europe and North America but Zermatt is still my overall favourite big name resort. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
arlberg, Many Congratulations .. Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowbandit wrote:
If you like good food and want to treat youself to a good lunch, the best mountain restaurants are at a hamlet called Findeln.

Good advice, Chez Vrony is excellent if very busy, so book a table. The views of the Matterhorn are stunning from the restaurant.

On the other hand my favourite restaurant in Zermatt is the Zum See which is just off of the run back to the town.

Booking for lunch is essential but if you can't make lunch then a visit on the way home at the end of the day is highly recommended.

Try the Mille Feuille with an Apres drink or two, they bring it out on long planks of wood and cut it into slices. Skiing and food heaven. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
arlberg, Congrats, seems like the perfect spot to tie the knot!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
arlberg, enjoy it !
latest report
Thank you guys, I'll try my best.

I'll be sending the hat around in January, all donations however small will be appreciated.
ski holidays
sawni, don't forget to ski over into Italy! While all 3 are outstanding we thought Chalet Etoile just pipped Chey Vrony and Zum See for the best lunch prize. And its cheaper!

Zermatt is also my favourite resort. Lovely village, fabulous skiing, the best mountain restaurants and those amazing views of the Matterhorn.....

arlberg, What a great pace to get married! Lucky you. Enjoy!!!
latest report
arlberg, congratulations, thanks for the input, hopefully we will see you there - where are you guys staying? - don't worry we won't crash your
festivities.
Does anyone know where the Hotel Matterhornblick is - in relation to the lifts? - looks like its close to the Matterhorn lift area.
What's the best offpiste area - depending on the snow? Anybody hired a good guide?
ski holidays
sawni, It's a reasonable walk (15 minutes?) to Kleine Matterhorn, or you can catch the bus or taxi. That's probably the closest lift though.
latest report
arlberg, well pissed off we can't make it. Snow in Tignes is fantastic at the moment tho :s
ski holidays
Charlatanefc wrote:
arlberg, well pissed off we can't make it. Snow in Tignes is fantastic at the moment tho :s

Stop being a geek and get the ale in!!!
snow report
sawni wrote:
arlberg, congratulations, thanks for the input, hopefully we will see you there - where are you guys staying? - don't worry we won't crash your
festivities.
Does anyone know where the Hotel Matterhornblick is - in relation to the lifts? - looks like its close to the Matterhorn lift area.
What's the best offpiste area - depending on the snow? Anybody hired a good guide?

Sawni,

Matterhornblick is right next to the church.

http://www.zermatt.ch/en/page.cfm/webcam_kirche

This webcam is lcated just across the road.
Its a one minute walk down the steps to the busstop, from there its a choice of up to the Kleinematterhorn or on the other side of the road to Sunegga.

In relation to the main village, its 2 minutes from the action of a night-time.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
arlberg wrote:
Charlatanefc wrote:

Stop being a geek and get the ale in!!!

EXACTLY ... wimping out. What's the lad's name .. NEVILLE ??? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
You got to try the Fluhalp restaurant. They do a king prawn spaghetti to die for!
You get off the top of the rothorn and ski past the little outside bar (on the webcams) down a short piste and take the right fork towards gant. keep your eyes open for a large red painted building that will crop up on a hill bout 5-10 mins (depending on your speed and hunger haha)to your left. Dont miss the fork or you will miss a seriously good restaurant with a lovely atmosphere. Brilliant if you can catch one of the live bands there too..often an irish band..can anyone remember the name?
Going on Jan 2nd..So can't wait!! Enjoy yours!
ski holidays
Thanks, what do most people end of doing on Christmas eve? - our hotel is breakfast only - we are travelling with a group of 13 from
Canada - including 6 teenagers - any restaurant recommendations in the village that won't break the bank? The snow looks great -
but sounds like still not enough to do any meaningful offpiste?
snow report
The hotel Post right in the village is super for all budgets. It has a number of bars, but the brown cow on the ground floor does burgers etc. There is a pizzaria and a texmex too. Here is the link. Oh and a nightclub in the basement haha.

http://www.hotelpost.ch/de/index.php
latest report
Sawni,

Try the Alpenrose, a little off the beaten track, but has lots of variety, check the tourist office website there is a detailed map on there, its only 5 or 6 minute walk from Matterhornblick
latest report
http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/u912-arlberg.html
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but didn't want to start a new one. Just booked Zermatt, 20 Dec. to Dec. 29th. This will be our first time in Zermatt. Very excited to go at Christmas time too! In any event, does anyone have an idea about how far in advance one can book some of the on mtn hut restaraunts? Would like to get a table at Zum See or Chez Vrony for a Christmas day lunch.

How are the crowds at this time of year? I would imagine the lift lines would be a bit crazy at Christmas.

We have booked a room at La Couronne, which is a 3 star hotel. Any Snowheads have experience with this hotel? From the reviews, it seems like a nice enough place. The only downside is no whirlpool/hot tub/jacuzzi, just a sauna.

Thanks for any input.
ski holidays
Toadman, we were there a couple of years back for Christmas - but not rich enough to visit the posh restaurants Sad
I can also tell you that the Piste rescue services work fine on Christmas Day rolling eyes

If it's of any interest to you, there is an English Church in Zermatt, and the Christmas Eve service was magical.
ski holidays
Toadman, we were the other side of the mountain last Christmas in Cervinia. It was surprisingly quiet both Cervinia and Zermatt sides it got busier after Boxing Day, but the queues still weren't too bad.

Another for your list of restaurants... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/8104856/The-worlds-ten-best-mountain-restaurants.html?image=3
ski holidays
Thanks hammerite. That's a relief about the Christmas crowds. Looking forward to sampling some of those Zermatt on mtn restaurants. I guess I better start saving now!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy