Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Private vs Group Lessons - Trois Vallee (St Martin/Les Menuires)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone!

I'm trying to decide whether to book 6 full days of group ski lessons or a couple of private lessons in Les Menuires / St Martin de Belleville next week.

I've been on 8 skiing holidays and would really like to improve beyond early intermediate or level 5 (per the description copied below). My other half taught me initially and I have had a handful of private lessons since, which I have found helpful. I am at a good level of fitness, but very timid on my skis and seem to have got worse lately! Ice, bumps and busy pistes particularly worry me.

1. Any recommendations for ski schools/individual instructors in the area? From my research only ESF runs from St Martin on full day courses and at the moment they do not intend to run a class for my level and I would need to go to Les Menuires.

2. How easy (and quick!) is it to get from St Martin to Les Menuires? Although I see it is only two lifts and one run over in the morning, class starts at 9.15... what if the first lift doesn't open until 9?

3. Classes finish at 4.30 - how easy is it to get back?

4. If I am placed in a group that is too easy or too difficult, but there are insufficient numbers in the class below/above what would the ski school do?

5. Do group lessons involve a lot of long lunch breaks and other stops?

6. Can group lessons be held up by people with lower fitness levels than others?

7. Is it usual to explore the trois vallee area in a week of full day lessons (at intermediate level)?

8. Do you think private lessons or group lessons would be better for me? I think my main problem is confidence/fear of going fast but also I'm sure there are problems with my technique which, if I could "unlock" would result in a more confident skier!

9. If you were going for private lessons (realistically 2 or 3 in terms of budget) how would you best space them out over the course of a week?

Thanks in advance,

Heather javascript:emoticon('Very Happy')

Quote:
Level Five
Level Five skiers are intermediates who are confident on easy blue runs and ski mostly parallel but may at times use the wedge to begin a turn or to stop. Level Five skiers may be cautious on intermediate trails that are slightly steep or icy.
Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've done private lessons a few times in Val Thorens - each time it was 2 hours early afternoon on days 2, 4 and 6. Worked brilliantly for me. I'd really recommend my instructor, but Val T would probably be too far a trip.

I can't answer most of the other questions other than to say a friend doing a week of group lessons with ESF at beginner/early intermediate last year, mornings only, did go into the Meribel valley once or twice. Best to ask the ski school really, I think it'll depend on the snow conditions and what links are open.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bloody hell, that's a lot of questions!
Heth wrote:

1. Any recommendations for ski schools/individual instructors in the area? From my research only ESF runs from St Martin on full day courses and at the moment they do not intend to run a class for my level and I would need to go to Les Menuires.
New Generation operate out of St Martin. Contact them to see what options they have next week http://www.skinewgen.com/resorts/st-martin/

Quote:
2. How easy (and quick!) is it to get from St Martin to Les Menuires? Although I see it is only two lifts and one run over in the morning, class starts at 9.15... what if the first lift doesn't open until 9?
Not possible, those 2 lifts are 10 mins each journey time plus the ski to LM. There is a bus service between resorts but you'd have to check the timetable and I'm not sure if it's free anymore.

Quote:
3. Classes finish at 4.30 - how easy is it to get back?
No problem; you need Roc de 3 Marches 2 which doesn't close until 16:55.

Quote:
4. If I am placed in a group that is too easy or too difficult, but there are insufficient numbers in the class below/above what would the ski school do?
Leave you in the same group. Anecdotal evidence is that the ESF rarely swap people between groups anyway.

Quote:
5. Do group lessons involve a lot of long lunch breaks and other stops?
No. Never seen 'other' stops for adults except for the loo or if the whole group demands it cos it's freezing for instance. The instructor's unlikely to suggest it.

Quote:
6. Can group lessons be held up by people with lower fitness levels than others?
Of course. But there's a strong chance they'll cry off eventually if they're obviously holding everyone else up.

Quote:
7. Is it usual to explore the trois vallee area in a week of full day lessons (at intermediate level)?
Probably. Or at least the Belleville valley. You'd get very bored very quickly of the St M runs if that's all you were doing. Ask the instructor/ski school if you're expected to have a 3V pass. There are some good Blues into Meribel from St M at your level.

Quote:
8. Do you think private lessons or group lessons would be better for me? I think my main problem is confidence/fear of going fast but also I'm sure there are problems with my technique which, if I could "unlock" would result in a more confident skier!
If you genuinely think you are fitter than the average intermediate then you could get a lot more skiing out of a private lesson and obviously it's tailored exactly to what you want to develop.

Quote:
9. If you were going for private lessons (realistically 2 or 3 in terms of budget) how would you best space them out over the course of a week?
One every other day. Learn something, go away and practise it. Personally I wouldn't have instruction on the first day; I'd use it to get your legs back, adjust a little to the altitude and make a list of things that you want to work on but some will disagree.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Heth, forgot to say that full day lessons in France are not the norm - is there a reason that you want them? You could just take afternoon lessons in LM or Meribel (lots of good Brit ski schools in Meribel) for instance which solves your access/timing problems. Does your OH not want to ski with you?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you for your advice and sorry my first(!) snowheads post was a bit of an essay! Going without the OH (with a group of friends) this time (the OH is studying for exams and is sooooo jealous as he is a total ski fanatic!!) - thought intensive lessons might brush up the technique and save my friends waiting for me (though they are very patient!) but I'm now thinking a few private lessons may be the better option. I've contacted New Gen - they do group lessons in the mornings or private and also "clinics" in the afternoons - 2 hours if one person signs up 2 x 2 hour slots if 2 or more sign up (for the same price).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Heth, - Claude Decagny Private instructor in the 3 Valleys, excellent instructor, and one of the instructors on the EoSB. www.snowarea.net
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy