Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap B&B or hotel near Hemel dome ?

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of heading up to Hemel one evening for a pre-season warm up -can anyone recommend anywhere cheap to stay close to the snow centre ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nickH, if you book early enough the premier inn works out reasonable, all you can eat breakfast too for little extra Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Travelodge around a mile away we've had for under £25/night. But you need to book a long way in advance to get that price.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How much for a week, and do they do any offers including lift pass? snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have stayed at that Travelodge...it is awful. Hideous. One on the worst I have ever experienced. Not worth it even for £25.

DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!

chemistry
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
chemistry, pray tell. Must be a good story behind that DO NOT DO IT!!!!!...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^^^agree horrid!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chemistry, I've stayed there, and it is dire. I certainly wouldn't leave anything of any value in there, and other than access to the Wetherspoons in town it doesn't really have any redeeming features.

The Holiday Inn at Apsley is dramatically better, but not necessarily cheap, with the Paper Mill pub opposite. ColinB stayed in a smaller B&B in August, worth a PM to see where it was, he had stayed there before I think and it sounded like a decent non-chain place.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Premier Inn in Hemel is OK and pretty close.

Aren't all Travelodge dire?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I stayed at a couple of different places in August booked through laterooms for £40 - 50 for a twin w/o breakfast. Kings lodge was ok but noisy due to trains Bobsleigh was deader than a dead thing but cheap for a "proper" hotel.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all for the suggestions. Sounds as though premier inn is a possibility & the holiday inn a definite no-no.
Will pm ColinB as well as I prefer the idea of giving my money to an independent.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Shouldn't this be in the Resort Reviews forum Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spyderman, Some are more dire than others. Some of the new ones are actually quite acceptable. But if the OP wants cheap....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nickH, If you do PM make sure it's me and not ColinB who I think is someone else who never posts.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Premier Inn, and Holiday Inn (2 different) both seem to be quite approved of by Trip Advisor website.
snow report
I have stayed at the Premier Inn and the nearer Holiday Inn, both were fine.
latest report
dobby wrote:
chemistry, pray tell. Must be a good story behind that DO NOT DO IT!!!!!...

Dobby,

Nothing spectacular, just a really crap experience when we stayed over prior to the kids first ever ski lesson last year. Booked two rooms. Our experience consisted of:

1) Receptionist spectacularly grumpy/unhelpful on arrival. Adjacent rooms (requested when booking) seemed like a MAJOR hassle.
2) Rooms VERY tired and worn. Lots of stains, chipped fittings, etc. in bathroom. Didn't dare check to see up close if things were really clean, as were scared to see how bad it would be...
3) Kept awake half the night by kids racing motorbikes up and down outside. They seemed very enthusiastic about it...
4) TV remote not working in either room. Various attempts to replace them etc. with (by now, super grumpy) receptionist all failed so couldn't watch TV (there were no manual controls).
5) Beds uncomfortable and duvet very thin, so everyone cold and restless.
6) General environment seems low rent - going out into the car park it generally felt rather gloomy and insecure.

Overall, it was just rubbish. Nobody woke up well rested. We all left vowing never to stay in a Travelodge again....and we won't!

Conversely, all of our stays in Premier Inns and similar budget hotels have been excellent.

chemistry
snow report
Similar experience with travelodge at Hemel, own parking very limited around the back so it's a bun fight, if your lucky enough to get a space you then have to pay Shocked (at premier its free) the other option is to park further down the road (same one as said boy racers scream up and down on) Evil or Very Mad only one person running the place, no breakfast area. dirty, noisy reminded me of a night I spent in Widnes for £10 rolling eyes now I only use premier inns last time cost me £29 for a family room, although I do still get bombarded with spam from travelodge...
snow report
Some of the new Travelodges are very nice. We stayed in one in Paignton for a couple of nights. It was clean and comfortable, breakfast area and bar were fine and the staff friendly. Had to pay for parking, though, but it's by the seaside so we expected it.
snow conditions
A second Travelodge in Hemel opened a few weeks ago. I've not been in there so I can't comment from experience, but it would be reasonable to expect it to be better than the old one.

It is called "Hemel Hempstead Gateway" and the address is Maylands Avenue (it is actually on the corner of Maylands Avenue and St. Albans Road) whereas the old one is called "Hemel Hempstead" and is in Wolsey Road.
snow conditions
Thanks all, have booked into the premier - bring on the snow !
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy