Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring boots recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just bought myself a pair of Movement Sparks. I've had quiver killer inserts fitted with the plan to fit some dynafit / plum bindings. I am therefore thinking about getting some touring boots so am looking for recommendations.

Having suffered for years with foot pain (I have collapsed arches, problems with 5th metatarsals, boney bits on top of feet), a couple of years ago I bought some Nordica 130s and had them fitted by Pro-Feet. They are magnificent and I rarely if ever get any pain. I never want to go back to that agony I used to endure. However I'm getting into off-piste more and more and the Nordicas are just a bit too stiff for days where there's quite a bit of skinning involved.

I think I have quite wide feet (from memory during the fitting process) and I gather that might restrict the sort of boots that could be considered. I'm will almost certainly need a boot than can be fitted properly to my gnarly old claws. As I want to avoid lugging two pairs of boots when I go away I would also like something that performs well on piste. I know I am asking for the moon here so any suggestions welcome. I know nothing about boots so need lots of advice here.

Thanks in advance
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I honestly believe that that the best way to do this (if you have the time and the money) is to get down to Chamonix in early December and check out all the goodies there. Sole or Sanglard would be my first ports of call if you want the full fitting process. Somewhere like Snell has a big range and they are all out on display, so good for looking at what is available and doing some trying on

have you had QKs fitted already? bit of a gamble if you don't know the BSL of the boots you will be using?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dsoutar, My 2p worth. I do have two pairs of alpine boots... Solly X3-Lab Softs, which get used for racing in the UK. I also have some Garmont Heliums (with Zipfit liners), which I've skied on in La Grave, and also toured on. I won't bother taking the X3s away to the snow again, unless I'm doing some race training. I did not find the Heliums restricted me in any way. I ski on Coombaks (181 ?) and on some Trabs which I can't remember the length of. The Trabs have Dynafit and the Coombaks Marker Squires.

I am 5 6" and 10 stone. Hope that helps...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Like ski, I've got two pairs too. Lange X-zero-8, which are old but still good for piste skiing, but also a recent pair of Dynafit Zzeus. I've not skied the Lange since I got the Dynafit.

There's an increasing number of crossover boots which do both jobs very well. From Dynafit, I think the Titan is stiffer than the Zzeus, but both are similar in terms of purpose.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just to answer Arno's point, I have had the QKs fitted for my Marker F12 with the view to fitting dynafit / plum bindings in the future once I get the appropriate boot. A bit of overkill I admit but the extra cost was minimal. Just a plan to save weight and I was advised that the dynafit / plum bindings wouldn't be ideal for all day piste skiing which is a posibility when I go with my wife who doesn't do off-piste so I only get two or three days in a week where I'm allowed off the leash as it were
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dsoutar, fair enough
i have marker and dynafit holes quiver killered in 2 pairs of my skis. works very well for me
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dsoutar wrote:
I was advised that the dynafit / plum bindings wouldn't be ideal for all day piste skiing

Curious as to who gave you that advice because in my experience they're as good for 'all day piste skiing' as a regular Alpine binding. In fact, I've skied over 40 days clipped into Dynafits since March last year and at least 1/2 of them have been entirely piste bashing days.

Arno wrote:
i have marker and dynafit holes quiver killered in 2 pairs of my skis. works very well for me

Exactly the same but I don't bother with the Markers now so reckon they'll only be used if ever I lend the skis.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
^ think the "not suitable for pistes" is just a warning based on continuous use on hardpack might shake you/a part loose, but actually mixed touring on hardpack / sastrugi etc should be just as demanding/forceful. Apart from snow conditions, having to stand up to general abuse from lift queues etc probably means the advice is pretty decent actually, but certainly wouldnt say you will have big (or any) issues on piste.

FWIW, I also have wide forefeet (well 2 Laughing ), and got Scarpa Mobe this year for my plums. THey're on the stiffish side so maybe that wont suit (but i would suggest you can get the stiffness you clearly like without compromising too much on tourability these days), - certain scarpas have just suited my wide feet (TX Pro tele and Mobe tech). For sure fitting will get you what you need - but not unless you can fit with generally suitable (in your case wide-ish) models. A chat to profeet about somehow getting the same fit as your nordys but in a tech boot would probably be a great start
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy