Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Would this work as a ski "vice"

Poster: A snowHead
I've been looking for something to use as a vice for clamping my skis, at the moment I've been waxing my skis and my friends house who has it setup, but it sucks having to cycle there with skis everytime, especially now that I have 3 sets of skis, so I was looking for cheap vices and saw this:
http://www.skis.com/Swix-Wax-master-tuning-vise/59422P,default,pd.html

do you think that'd work well? or would it just suck

thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They don't look that good to me with 3 set of skis get a good set
up something like the Jaws of the Beast
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mag1882,

Very good for the money if they do! I'm looking at making a dummy boot sole that I can clamp into a B&D workmate. I can't find the link at the moment, but will post when I remember where it was.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Afraid I can't buy one more expensive than that, started building one out of wood which il tie down trough the binding, should work fine.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
a second hand "woodworking vice" offa ebay will do the tricky - maybe need to glue some rubber or summit on the steel jaws to not scratch things up, but even then i wouldn't bother. (plus something like chopped off & built up pieces of 2x4 to support tip and tail, again possibly with some rubber nailed on top, and you can get all fancy if you can work some wood to add notches for edge sharpening position). I've had jaws of the beast and one of those dummy shoe jobs, both of which are easily trumped by my current set up as described (particularly given the relative prices)

something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Am-Tech-Professional-6-inch-Wood-Working-Bench-Vice-/280833081410?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item4162f4c042#ht_2898wt_1180
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Here's a great DIY dummy boot design for use with in a Workmate or similar.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1113545
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=126456
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1658473
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1844788 and check canyonmanny's blog page
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I got a pair of the cheap suction cup base adjustable ball socket vices from Aldi and simply drilled and screwed them to my work bench. Been fantastic over the past three years.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I know real ski vise is expensive... damn expensive for that little of metal you get for those 100eur. But on the other hand you should look at all this a bit different. I still use same old vise (Swix world cup ski vise), which I used through all my career as WC ski tech, and after all these years (15+) it's still looking just as good as it did on first day I got it. So basically you buy it once, and you keep it for rest of your life. Considering this, 100eur is not all that much of money. Another thing are your skis. You will be preparing few 100eur worth skis, sometimes even 1000eur worth one. Waxing is no problem, handling with edges is, and there you need stable thing otherwise your edges will be all over the place. Is 100eur too much for this? Wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm a park skier. I don't sharpen edges
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
primoz,
Quote:

and you keep it for rest of your life

... until your Missus buys skis that are too wide for it Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
barry wrote:
a second hand "woodworking vice" offa ebay will do the tricky -

The thing with that is when you have a ski with quite an extreme side-cut it doesn't get a good hold of the ski as it's only pinching it at the ends of the vice. That's one of the reasons ski vices tend to be quite narrow.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mag1882, The dummy boot jig shown by spyderjon, looks pretty good. I explored this solution, buying a pair of old boots (same size as my own) and then cutting the sole off to use in the jig. Stability was an issue, however the critical measurement is the overhang on the RHS of his picture...this is essential to get the ski on and off the vice.

All things considered as you only wax and don't tune, then a cheap workmate at £23 from Halfords would work perfectly.

http://www.kandie-imports.com/roffb.php snowHead for mobile tuning.... http://db.tt/kxAjKGT7 or http://db.tt/VTfp3Xsb This is my own mobile tuning bench -it will service boards, and virtually any width of ski/s. The grip, versatility of this professional vice is awesome.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's looks very promising, could i just use that vice on the bindings? I'm not too sure what you meant.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mag1882, If you are just waxing skis spread out a few sheets of your local free newspaper on the floor.
snow conditions
Finally remembered where I saw it:

http://skitracks.wordpress.com/2010/08/13/diy-ski-tuning-bench/
snow report
Jivebaby, that roffb looks awesome, pricey though I'd reckon?
snow report
barry wrote:
Jivebaby, that roffb looks awesome, pricey though I'd reckon?

Pushing £500. I've sold a few this year.
snow report
It's cool I got that workmate and it works great, not perfect for scraping but it works.
latest report
I think it was one of the TGR maggots that threw this together.
latest report
spyderjon wrote:
Pushing £500. I've sold a few this year.

dayum! awesome-looking yes, but i aint seeing 500 squids in it Shocked
latest report
barry,

That's a nice DIY bench posted by spyderjon, and this is the £500 RoffB

the mid section lifts out to service/tune boards
ski holidays
Jivebaby, yup saw your earlier post. i aint in the market for anything as am happy with what i have - though the roffb looks great (just not £500 great! guess its aimed firmly at shops rather than punters)
snow conditions
barry, Yes that's right -I managed to get this from a ski workshop closing down near Blackpool along with a huge box of kit/wax/irons/edge tools etc for a bargain £150 via eBay: There was so much stuff thrown in I felt a tad embarrassed with my good fortune Embarassed
latest report
Jivebaby wrote:
barry, Yes that's right -I managed to get this from a ski workshop closing down near Blackpool along with a huge box of kit/wax/irons/edge tools etc for a bargain £150 via eBay: There was so much stuff thrown in I felt a tad embarrassed with my good fortune Embarassed

Nice one!

I can't justify the RofB vice cost for myself & I buy them at trade. I've used two Jaws of Beasts vice sets (one on my edging bench & one on my waxing bench) for six years/1300+ services (& a Starfix board vice set for boards) and they're still perfect. I've sold hundreds of the JoB's & only had one problem which was a set shipped to me recently from the manufacturers with a broken circlip - well at least that's what Markymark29 claimed wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy