Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hemel or MK?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm about 40 mins from MK, and about an hour from Hemel.. I've not skied Hemel, but was wondering if there's much difference, or are they pretty much the same?

Anyone got any preferences for any reason?

The pricing at Hemel seems more reasonable.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just my opinion but Hemel is a better skier's slope. Less focused on the other gimmicky stuff, more space given to skiing etc though it's far from perfect. Free lockers and parking too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As I'm only ever over at MK after 6, the parking's free then too, but I could use that £1 for something else Smile

I might travel the extra 20 mins and see what it's like next time.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
feef, I switched to Hemel now, it is closer to me, free parking, better snow, everything is new.
It can get very busy and bumpy (snow) so I only go in the mornings.
I learnt the boarding in MK and liked it there as well. And you have 2 runs there Wink
Maybe because of the pillars it feels less boring there and snow has some features, jumps etc.

Hemel in the morning is so nice and smooth but then again probably boring for some.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They're both about 170m long aren't they? so no real difference there
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Better snow at Hemel IME. Now that Easter is over it's much quieter than the winter months, so a better time to visit.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Are they both quiet now? I might go next week for the first time, mid-day middle of the week, would I find it uncrowded?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Turns'n'turns wrote:
Are they both quiet now? I might go next week for the first time, mid-day middle of the week, would I find it uncrowded?

Yes! On wednesday once Ladies Morning comes in (at 12) the slope can be very quiet.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was at MK last night from 8pm-10pm, and there was maybe 10 folk there at most. I've been on a couple of Thursday evenings which tend to be busier as the grommits are out jibbing on the hardware.

I like that MK is open till 11. Am I right that Hemel is only open till 10?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sounds good Smile
Thanks.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hemel was a tad rutted last night after 90 odd racers had spent a couple of hours on it, still prefer it to MK though.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There was 'race training' at MK last night too, but just one line of slalom poles near one of the pomas, and only 5 or 6 folk at most using it so only that narrow bit got chewed up. The rest of the slope was empty and pretty smooth, although at a couple of bits, there was some lumpy terrain where they'd removed rails but not pisted the snow..
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gatecrasher wrote:
Hemel was a tad rutted last night after 90 odd racers had spent a couple of hours on it, still prefer it to MK though.

aint hemel alot more of a gentle slope than MK? ( at least it looks it from the pics)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
xander89 wrote:
aint hemel alot more of a gentle slope than MK? ( at least it looks it from the pics)

is that possible? Neutral
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
xander89 wrote:

snow conditions
xander89 wrote:
No, there's hardly any difference between the two in how steep they are.
latest report
feef wrote:
xander89 wrote:

No idea, doubt there will be much in it, the rollers at Mk (if still there) and the narrowing effect of pillars might give the impression Puzzled
snow report
Been to MK loads (as it's local), been to Hemel once. Hemel was better for sure. More skier oriented. Search previous threads for details of what this means. In your shoes it's worth another 20 min drive.
latest report
Neither. Allocate the extra time and head north to Manchester's Chill Factore instead.
ski holidays
Hi,
How far away is the Snow Centre, walking from Hemel Hempstead train station?
ski holidays
Turns'n'turns wrote:
Hi,

About a mile and a half:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=hemel+railway+station&daddr=snow+center+hemel&hl=en&sll=51.74138,-0.47435&sspn=0.018283,0.052314&geocode=FRyKFQMdgIf4_yn1bs_8wkN2SDHGOCaoQKMcVw%3BFayPFQMdY_74_yECKzziZB_lgQ&t=w&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&z=15
ski holidays
A nice warm up, walking that distance with ski and boot bag Smile Is there a bus? Embarassed
snow report
For what it's worth it cost me £5.80 for a taxi back on Saturday night at about 8:50pm.
snow conditions
Turns'n'turns, Only half an hour walk.. that's less than from the coach to the apartment in some resorts Wink
ski holidays
Yeah, I am up for it! Smile
Thanks for info guys.
ski holidays
MK might be fractionally steeper but there isn't much in it. Generally the HH snow is better and it has better food in the area overlooking the slope (and a better view of the slopes). If you like jumps and rails they have an evening for that (they take up half the slope on that day). I also like the mountain photo-murals at HH and the staff seem keener to give you a good time.
snow report
Quote:

and the staff seem keener to give you a good time.

oooerr! am I missing out on something? Toofy Grin
snow report
I'm definitely going to have to give HH a go I think...

Won't be till next week as I'm in Wales this weekend, off-roading and drinking beer. Not at the same time obviously.. Camelbak don't recommend putting fizzy drinks in their bladders Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
feef, Guinness wink
snow conditions
gatecrasher wrote:
Quote:

and the staff seem keener to give you a good time.

oooerr! am I missing out on something? Toofy Grin
Very Happy For all I know you may be missing out on many things, but I could have phrased that better.
snow report
Turns'n'turns wrote:
Hi,

FYI - Apsley station is actually closer
http://g.co/maps/sbz9s

I'm located almost exactly between HH & MK. I go to HH much more often, mostly because it's a nicer atmosphere. They don't charge you for parking & use of the lockers. It isn't in the middle of a shopping and leisure complex. I agree with the other posters that the snow is generally better at HH. I just wouldn't advise going late on a weekend for anything other than a social ski.
They've announced their summer prices today too.

MK scores over HH on a few things. Ellis Brigham don't charge for ski tests at MK; Snow and Rock do at HH. The Ellis Brigham events (The Big Ski) is worth a look in November. For learners MK is kinder in having a travellator rather than a tow rope on the beginners slope. If you want to get food and drink then MK offers a lot more options.

Oh and the Chill Factor is good too, just a bit of a trek from where I live...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy