Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What One Product Has Made A Difference To Your Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Whilst riding a chair today I suddenly thought about all the different products that I have bought or used in the last 35 years of Skiing and decided that the one product that I would put at number one has to be Compeed, as somebody who used to constantly have bruised and blistered shins I could not have continued skiing without them.

Just wondered what other SH's had down as their number one product?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ski lessons.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A snowboard.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My plums
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar wrote:
Ski lessons.
Are they a product or a service?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My own boots - spent the last 2 days of my sixth form ski trip in tears as my boots were so painful to do up I couldn't ski. I love having my own boots (and super feet too!) haven't looked back.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
leedsunited wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Ski lessons.
Dunno, it's something I buy and helps me enjoy skiing more.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boots that actually fit - what a difference, best investment ever!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kronenbourg
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
KY Jelly
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ski Mojo
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thinner socks.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jager Tee snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kids!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My IPod. Listening to music really helps to distract me from being nervous,so if you see a mad woman careering down the slopes this week in Norquay, Sunshine or Lake Louise singing Springsteen songs as she goes it's probably me! Very Happy
snow report
1. Slalom skis - my skiing jumped up a level once I moved to race skis for piste skiing
2. Getting alignment done - a small change but I noticed I immediately skied with much more confidence (arguably a service but physical things went into the boots)
3. Patagonia capilene 3 - I wear only this under my shell until maybe -5, having so much more freedom than bulky mid-layers and insulated jackets really helped
4. "Ultimate Skiing" by LeMaster
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Kronenbourg
Probably my second choice or would that be Carlsberg Laughing
ski holidays
andersont wrote:
KY Jelly
Shocked Shocked
latest report
1. Our own ski apartment. Lifestyle changer and we ski far more often as a result.
2. Ski boots that fit well and don't hurt. I've had some very painful experiences over the years with badly fitting boots that seriously detracted from the whole experience. The last 2 pairs have been a revelation - zero pain and improved skiing.
3. Wide skis - for powder at least. Much more effective than 205cm Volkl P19s in the deep.
4. Shorter shaped (carving) skis - Again much more effective than the 80's straight, thin, long skis.
5. Goretex in one form or another, although there are plenty of decent alternatives around today. Staying dry and warm makes a big difference.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
leedsunited wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Ski lessons.
Dunno, it's something I buy and helps me enjoy skiing more.
Fair point
snow conditions
leedsunited wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Ski lessons.

I've noticed out in N.America they call pretty much everything a product and it's quite trendy in business at the moment to call services 'products'. They certainly promote ski lessons as a 'product' out in Canada. To me a product is a physical object and a service is a process. Call me old fashioned....

product
noun
1 an article or substance that is manufactured or refined for sale
latest report
Freestyle-style mogul lessons.

PS: blistered and bruised shins can be fixed by a boot tweak to provide more progressive forward flex in the cuff. Been there, done that...
latest report
I've found skis and ski boots quite important.
snow conditions
snow

(though not sure that meets the above dictionary definition - it is sort of refined water, and could be sold I guess..)
ski holidays
Stroh 80
snow report
Cheap air travel.
snow conditions
Ripnwud skis http://www.ripnwood.com/
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Ski Mojo

agreed
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm a late starter to skiing, but really hated hiring ski boots as they were a nightmare getting on and off and really painful on the shins, so a couple of years ago we bought and had fitted our own ski boots, amazing difference, you can even walk in them! Very flexible, almost like wearing slippers, I can concentrate on skiing now, instead of the pain in my shins.
ski holidays
It's not really a product but the thing that's made the most difference is membership of my local ski club here in the UK, and lots of practice and training there.

For a genuine product, it would probably be Ultimate Skiing by Ron Le Master.
snow report
Being able to afford to go skiing more often. I missed many years after uni paying off debts, frequent redundancies and buying a house. Now I am more financially settled I can afford one main trip and a short break each season. Plus having my own skis has helped too.

But I think the too small boots have not helped at all so new boots are next on the list when finances allow.
ski holidays
Contact lenses.
ski holidays
Skis with side cut.
Demountable chair lifts
ski holidays
kastle mx 88 skis , opened up the mountain to me Toofy Grin
snow conditions
The lift pass
latest report
Haven't got a number 1, but the following things have improved my skiing considerably:
Inside Out progression lessons (Hemel, Meribel, Tignes)
100 flex, very narrow fitting boots with decent footbed
longer, stiffer skis
ski/board buddies who force me out of my comfort zone
It's all coming together nicely now Smile Just bought some even stiffer skis (with progressive flex!!) so I'm hoping it can only get better Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Not really a product but moving the bindings on my Atomic skis by 1.6 cm transformed them from being so-so to perfect (for me).
ski holidays
greg66 wrote:
Freestyle-style mogul lessons.

PS: blistered and bruised shins can be fixed by a boot tweak to provide more progressive forward flex in the cuff. Been there, done that...
Maybe for you but I have never found any boot fitter that has managed to solve my shin problem in 30 years and I have been to some very good ones Sad
snow conditions
booster strap
snow conditions
My own boots with custom footbeds. Like putting my feet into a warm snuggy glove!!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy