Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Likelihood of skis being worn out

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Sorry for the basic questions!

I have a pair of Scot mission 2009 version skid on once a year for a week.

The question is will these wear out just because of age or is it a useage thing, or both. Thinking of buying some new bindings that are capable of touring and wondering if I really need new skis. These cope pretty well in anything other than beyond 6” of powder so if they ain’t broke that seems the cheaper option!

Also what’s the chances that I can change the binding or will the old one have made holes that make that likely not a good idea.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi and welcome snowHead

I'm not sure that skis really wear out due to age these days if they have been looked after. 60 days is not that much actual use. Reasons you might retire them:
• Lots of base grinds means there's not much base/edge left.
• Significant damage to base, edge pulled out or other problem that affects use
• Newer technology/different type of ski meets your needs better
• Bought new ones

Otherwise they're probably good to go wink

Rule of thumb on bindings is 3 sets drilled per pair I think, so you should be able to get the holes plugged and a re-drill done. Or use Quiver Killer inserts if you want to be able to swap the bindings over. Hole clash is a potential issue, though, so you'll need to check that.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@T1mbro, I used to use the rule of thumb that kit lasted just under a season before it began to fail. So 120 days.

My last Mantras probably got 330+ (although some of those were probably not the "biggest" of days. They still skied well enough but the edges were too thin to sharpen.

You are probably (certainly?) going to want redrill the bindings. But at least once shouldn't be an issue.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I still have a pair of Nordica Enforcer all mountain skis that are 9 years old and have probably done 350+ days. I am still skiing them as a back country touring ski. I was always careful when tuning to remove the minimal of metal from the edges and they have only had one base grinde, although a fair few base pistol repairs for deep gauges.
As long as they have a decent flex, the camber is ok and there is an edge worth sharpening I'll ski them indefinitely.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You can pretty well always redrill to change bindings once on a pair of skis - worst case is you may need to move the bindings forward or back up to a centimetre, which is no more that a normal range for binding adjustment. If you wanted to redrill another time, you'd need to carefully check the specific bindings to see if this will work without moving them too far forward or back.

As to skis wearing out: other than visual damage (e.g. broken edges) from impacts, gradual thinning of edges is the most likely end for a pair of skis.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Scarlet wrote:

Rule of thumb on bindings is 3 sets drilled per pair I think, so you should be able to get the holes plugged and a re-drill done. Or use Quiver Killer inserts if you want to be able to swap the bindings over. Hole clash is a potential issue, though, so you'll need to check that.

The Scouse bandit/pedant seems to have trained you well young padowan.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dave of the Marmottes, Maybe I should open my own shop Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They do lose their "pop" over time and use.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've got a pair of 24 year old Volkl Explosiv's that are still in rotation in the quiver. They have lasted 23 years longer than my Kendos...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy