Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My collision with a skier caught up close on GoPro

Poster: A snowHead
There I was hardly moving, and out of the corner of my eye an out of control skier comes hurtling towards me, careering uphill in a desperate attempt to slow down, all I could do was brace myself for the impact!!

No no doubt some will try and say that as the Uphill skier I should have been more careful, but in this case the skier was coming back up the hill to collide with me rolling eyes

http://youtube.com/v/RoXk9qY1fWU

And this is a video of the before and after, another nice day on the Mountain Very Happy

First lifts, fresh tracks all after a collision with a "Cock" ! from Weathercam
http://vimeo.com/39882851

And no doubt the Ski Club of Great Britain purists will comment on crossing tracks, but those that often take a straight line don't always understand about snow pack Laughing

Was amazing yesterday how the snow changed within an hour or so, with slow slides occurring where I've never seen them before as people cut across the fall line as the temps rose and the recent fresh fall just slipped away.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Weathercam, Interesting film: Are you using a head cam? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jivebaby wrote:
Weathercam, Interesting film: Are you using a head cam? Puzzled

Think it's one of the chest harnesses you can get for the GoPros.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What I find astounding in this is that it's so quiet, yet two people can actaully still manage to crash into each other. You're like magnets!!!

Just think, if you had straightlined it, it would never have happened, which just goes to show, skiing faster is safer Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Blimey, looks like you were both ok thankfully!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
At least he didn't knock you over. The conditions look gorgeous!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

What I find astounding in this is that it's so quiet, yet two people can actaully still manage to crash into each other. You're like magnets!!!

Thats the interesting point - I bet he was looking at you, therefore aimed for you, just like trees.

Good defensive skiing though, although he did manage to get up again Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Collisions like this are why the 'uphill skier is always wrong' rule isn't always practical, it is impossible to be able to see people coming at you from the side traversing across the slope when skiing a normal line.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
narc wrote:
Collisions like this are why the 'uphill skier is always wrong' rule isn't always practical, it is impossible to be able to see people coming at you from the side traversing across the slope when skiing a normal line.

Yup. Can't blame Weathercam. With camcorders becoming cheaper and cheaper, I wonder if wearing one in the not too distant future, for use as evidence if required, will become common.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Turning back up the hill is the mist efficient way ti slow down.

Right into someone isn't.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 6-04-12 23:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mike Pow wrote:

I dunno, seemed like it slowed him down fairly effectively...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mike Pow wrote:

I'd disagree, it's a very efficient way to slow down. Whether it's wise is another matter. wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
shoogly wrote:

weathercam is a magnet for trouble.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof, Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof, looks like this year I might actually make it back in one piece, though not quite out of the mountains yet. Having lunchh in the Castillian in La Grave then up to my brothers in Chartreuse, so could still trip over Smile
snow report
Weathercam, Bump = Still curious = Do you use a chest harness or a head cam mount for the camera? Puzzled
snow conditions
Chest harness - far better as you don't look so stupid!

Just my opinion of course Smile
latest report
Weathercam, You'll have to humour now as I've no hands on experience of using the GoPro, and your answer confirms you where you were able to see where you were skiing, either directly or perhaps with peripheral vision as the camera footage was straight ahead (no PV) - The camera footage on that basis only reveals part of the story:

I understand that you think the inexperienced skier who ploughed slowly into your path was a "cock", however I'm struggling to appreciate how you as an experienced skier didn't spot him before the collision? ....As you clearly didn't ski into him deliberately, the only explanation is that you didn't see him until, as the camera shows -it was too late; therefore based on your own footage, with your own ski's crossing and arms crossing every now and again, perhaps you weren't having one of your best days and conceivably on a good day with or without the camera, you might well have seen him coming and skied defensively to avoid him?

In conclusion I think the "cock" label for someone who clearly needs lessons is a bit harsh, and whilst the collision certainly wasn't your fault, I'm not totally convinced that you were giving 100% of your attention to ski area ahead of you. Anything more you can say to convince me? Puzzled
latest report
Weathercam, good luck.

wink
latest report
Jivebaby, That's my reading of the situation as well.

There are a couple of learners/beginners on that section by the looks of things. Obvious in these cases to expect the unexpected. The turn uphill to take off speed and stop is often taught as a means of slowing down people who do not reliable edge control. The labelling could also apply to the camera man for similar reasons, lack of awareness.
latest report
To be fair to the learner, heading uphill does help take speed off and you can see from the video that he was desparately trying to pull the turn in tighter to avoid the cameraman, although the cameraman doesn't seem to move out of the way - accident definitely, but a bit strong to call a learner a cock for getting in the cameraman's way, especially when he was trying to get out of it.
snow conditions
Jivebaby wrote:
Anything more you can say to convince me? Puzzled

Why should he have to? Weathercam's expressed his opinion, you've expressed yours.
snow report
The skier's code dictates one should only ski in such a way as not to ski right into stationary objects, whether that's another skier or a lift tower!

The learner was clearly skiing out of control. Yes, I'm aware everyone makes mistakes from time to time. And the fresh snow was probably a surprise for the learner who had no experience in it. Those are his excuses but still, if the cameraman was almost stationary, he had very little recourse to avoid the incoming human missile! It's entirely up to the learner to change course to avoid impact. In this case, he failed. He's lucky both were uninjured.
snow report
achilles,
Quote:
Why should he have to?

Weathercam, of course doesn't have to add anything at all, but I'd really like to be able to change my opinion of the footage, the event and then perhaps agree with him, hence the polite invitation rolling eyes
snow report
abc, Have a look at FIS rule #3 part 2 http://www.fis-ski.com/data/document/rules-for-safety-10-fis-rules2002.pdf .....This assumes both skiers are alert and looking generally ahead and using all of their vision, including PV.

Rule 7 however is breached by the novice, even though it is commonly taught by many experienced instructors as a safety measure.

It's an interesting conundrum, but experienced skiers are generally expected to cut novices slack (duty of care?) for their own safety if nothing else and to give them a wide berth to make their mistakes, which after all are an important part of the learning process.
snow report
this is probably a good example of why it is a bad idea to have 'evidence' on camera as it can be seen so many different ways...

The cameraman had very nearly stoppped and his attention was drawn to the left of the shot whilst asking a mate about the drag lift. You can also see in the shadow that the head is also pointed to the left at the time of pushing back off down the hill. Then as soon as a straight forward motion is adopted (suggesting this is when the cameraman has turned his attention to focus downhill) there is a collision.

IMO nobody is to blame. Both skiers were not paying enough attention. The learner; to his ability level (a quick speed check before getting out of control would have sorted all that out). The more experienced camera man; to what is going on to the right of him (where the learner came from).
snow conditions
Quote:
, looks like this year I might actually make it back in one piece

let's hope so, I was really surprised by what I saw on your film, incredible, could have been much nastier. They say things come in threes.

Chartreuse, that's where I live, it is pissing down, watch out for landslides.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 7-04-12 20:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Samerberg Sue wrote:
Jivebaby, That's my reading of the situation as well.

There are a couple of learners/beginners on that section by the looks of things. Obvious in these cases to expect the unexpected. The turn uphill to take off speed and stop is often taught as a means of slowing down people who do not reliable edge control. The labelling could also apply to the camera man for similar reasons, lack of awareness.

Considering how fast he was travelling UP the hill, he's clearly going way too fast for his control ability before!

If a novice skier can't even avoid hitting someone while going UPHILL, what chance does he have to avoid hitting someone while going downhill when he was going even faster? Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc,
Quote:
Considering how fast he was travelling UP the hill, he's clearly going way too fast for his control ability before!
= that is what novices do when learning rolling eyes I did it -most SH's have probably done this too when learning

The expert skier Weathercam, managed to move another 50 metres or so done the slippy-slidey stuff whilst stationary....WTF?

The simple truth emerging from this debate is that he wasn't looking where he was going and has blamed a learner for being a "cock".... all fairly boring and instantly forgettable except for the fact that it's on film rolling eyes

Having considered all the evidence m'lud I find for the "cock" on the basis that Weathercam, knows and should "have done" better. If he'd looked where he was going, it wouldn't have happened, and I suspect his focus & PV concentration was more on what he was filming rather than his skiing or those around him (evidenced by the crossing skis and flailing arms in the film) Embarassed
ski holidays
Jivebaby, Cock Smile

davidof, too right about the rain, went Vizelle, Uriage, Merlan, Col De Porte, St Pierre, Laurent etc to Voissant, beautiful countryside , where exactly do you live?

PS Still in one piece, though heard tonight Mother in Law has taken a bad tumble,.she's 87 so not good news for us leaving now early to get back asap
latest report
I thought I could hear Weathercam shouting "stop" which would mean he was very much aware of what was happening (as opposed to being distracted?).

The guy who crashed into Weathercam was obviously out of control - but, if we are honest, I think we have all had that experience of that...Im in agreement that the fresh snow might have "thrown" the other skier.

Id be calling the guy a cock if he didnt apologise, otherwise isnt it just one of those things?
snow conditions
Weathercam, hope your MiL is ok, have a safe journey home.
snow conditions
Weathercam, glad to see that you did not get hurt, I found that filming while skiing does tend to distract you, little classic example below of me and my lad last week, neither of us saw the snowboarder sat down even tho he is clearly visable in the shot, it was even closer than it looks in real life Shocked

http://youtube.com/v/N5kJq-hXuP4&feature=youtu.be
snow report
Jivebaby wrote:
abc,
Quote:
= that is what novices do when learning rolling eyes I did it -most SH's have probably done this too when learning

No.

Not everybody goes too fast for their ability as beginner. Some have better cognitive power to realize they have less control, therefore they need to go slower. rolling eyes

Some second weeker saw better skiers zipping by in total control so they thought that's a safe speed, FOR THEM! It's NOT. They SHOULD be going a lot slower given their ability. But many don't! That's THE problem.

When some one ski fast UP the hill, the 2 skiers are approaching at TWICE the speed! There's precisouly little time to react at all, no matter how good that "experienced" skier is.

It's perfect ok to go uphill to bleed speed on an empty piste, which it looks to be. But the onus is on the skier travelling AGAINST normal ski traffic to avoid anyone skiing normally down the hill. For example, when a stopped skier re-enters the piste, he/she normally would look uphill to make sure the space is clear. He/she does NOT look down the hill to see if someone is travelling up the hill at high speed!

I would think the novice learned the lesson from the collision. It's "one of those things" people without experience just couldn't foresee so had to learn the hard way. Too bad it had to involve others. But thankfully in this case, no harm done.
ski holidays
my ex used to always criticise and curse learner drivers on the roads - she called them far worse than cocks - but everyone had to learn sometime, even my ex did, doesn't make them a cock just because they are still learning and making mistakes
ski holidays
How do you learn unless you take it a little bit faster than you have done before? We've all done it. BUT... you do it when the piste is clear, not for just bazzing down amongst the crowds. Then again, anyone can catch an edge and whizz round without warning... that is why the up hill skier should make allowances for unpredictable movements. Best answer, shoot the downhill skier in the leg furthest away from you, they will then fall in a direction which leads them away from your line. Problem solved Cool Little Angel
ski holidays
Really interesting comments, Only comment to add "let he who is without sin cast the first stone"
ski holidays
leedsunited, +1 Toofy Grin
snow report
leedsunited, I am now thinking back to Life of Brian Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Scarpa wrote:
leedsunited, I am now thinking back to Life of Brian Laughing Laughing Laughing
Total quality Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy