Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mont Vallon - Meribel Valley - advice requested

Poster: A snowHead
The conditions at the top end of the Meribel Valley were sheltered from the wind and blessed with good snow today. I've spotted this Mont Vallon Gondola with two reds from the top - Campagnol and Combe de Vallon. FraserP says that they are bit 'out in the boonies' - about as far from civilisation as we might get - I just wondered what sort of reds they were. Assuming they are covered with half decent snow are they black reds, red reds or blue reds?

We skied lac de la chambre today - are these runs similar - I see that Campagnol intersects with this at one point. FraserP said it was probably good for my sanity that I couldn't see the start of the slope on that one due to the fog!! The 3 Valleys 2 chair lift was encrusted with intricate ice formations, and we went into dense cloud and driving snow. The wind ceased once over the otherside, but the poor vis. persisted down the length of lac de lac chambre and we could only see one piste pole in front of us.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Both runs off MV are steep consistent reds with very little let-up all the way down.

By comparison, lac de la chambre is a walk in the park: a few steep section, following by a long flat run-out.

However, if you take it steady, there is nothing on the MV runs which is actually that hard.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RobW, That is useful - many thanks, they sound like a trip when we think there will be half decent snow up there. Some of the runs over here are currently hard and scraped - those that are very exposed in particular. The sheltered runs are in really good condition and that makes a world of difference to the difficulty in skiing some of them. If the visability holds up they might be worth trying tomorrow. If I give it a bash I'll report back Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RobW, +1 Very long, and the blacker side of red. But absolutely fabulous.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, I was sorely tempted by Mont Vallon last thursday - conditions looked really good, but unfortunately oski was training on the BX course under the Platierres (sp?) lift and I had to be there and tell him when he did things wrong (and right!) - didn't really end up that successful as he crashed on the first run of the actual race on Friday, so only came ninth (despite being almost the last to race...).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The two mont vallon runs are some of the best in the 3 vallies. The snow up there tends to be better than anything else in the Meribel valley. If we awarded to stars to pistes they would definately have ***. They are long (try doing them non stop), nearly always at the red grade, varied and because the MV telecabine is fairly small never crowded. Well worrth the queue at the bottom. Grade wise the are definately red. IIRC once Campagnol intersects Combe de Vallon all dificulties are over and it is a cruise back to the lift; normally chatting about what a great run you have just done.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, of the two combe is by far the most challenging and steepest, campagnol is a lot more steady. In january i took my 10 year old daughter down campagnol but wouldn't dream have taking her down combe
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PS Combe is significantly longer than Campagnol as it ends up at the Mures Rouge chair which is below the Mont Vallon gondola
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skied them both last week. Combe was heavy going at the bottom, and busier. Also about 50% longer (iirc 2200m vs 1500m assuming piste markers are 100m).

There is a little book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Meribel-Valleys-Mad-resort-guides/dp/0955121515?tag=amz07b-21 which grades the red and black runs *-***, which you might find interesting. I disagreed with most of their gradings, as it all depends on the snow or lack, and other people.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stevew, it was the possible difference in the two that interested me. It's funny but I assumed that the two combe would be the steepest. We didn't try them today as the cable car had a huge queue, but I'd still like to have a crack at least at one of them before we go home. Maybe Campagnol would be best by the sounds of it. I'm skiing reds reasonably steadily at the moment (not fast, but in control), esp. with half decent snow on them so I think the easier of the two should be within my grasp.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts, and if I crack one of them this week I will report back Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pedantica, RobW, +1
I prefer Combe over Campagnol but both are great and well worth the wait for the gondola.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
noisey,
Quote:

well worth the wait for the gondola

You beat me to it, I was going to post exactly that. Go for it, Megamum.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In Megamum's defence sometimes the gondola does have huge queues compared to other lifts but it's something you should do at least once on a trip to the 3V.

noisey, personally I prefer Combe but I was trying to demonstrate the differences
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, We did both with my girlfriend and she is rather timid skier. I kept it for the last day of our trip reading the reviews but it was not that bad at all.
She did not complain or stop which is rather a good sign as she prefers blue runs all the time.
In fact the only time she stopped scared in 3V was the very top and short bit from top of the Sauliere in Courchevel to just before the start of Creux run. (saying this obviously we did not try many other red runs etc.)
I left Mont Vallon and red Sauliere run for the last day of the trip but we only did the former at the end, and early in the morning so no bumps etc.
Great views from Mont Vallon as well.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Which one is best might depend on which one has been pisted in my experience, best to do them both!
ski holidays
Agree with everyone else, two very nice runs and well worth the wait at the bottom. Great views from the top too.
snow report
Quote:

The two mont vallon runs are some of the best in the 3 vallies. The snow up there tends to be better than anything else in the Meribel valley. If we awarded to stars to pistes they would definately have ***. They are long (try doing them non stop), nearly always at the red grade, varied and because the MV telecabine is fairly small never crowded. Well worrth the queue at the bottom. Grade wise the are definately red. IIRC once Campagnol intersects Combe de Vallon all dificulties are over and it is a cruise back to the lift; normally chatting about what a great run you have just done.

Good little review!
All I'd add is that CdV is probably my favourite PISTE in the world not just the 3V. Of course the off-piste around the phose pistes and off the back is v good too.
ski holidays
Just to clarify Campagnol doesn't intersect with Come de Vallon, it joins up with the run from VT. Combe de Vallon drops to the skiers right and below the bottom gondola station.
snow report
Tom W wrote:
Megamum, We did both with my girlfriend and she is rather timid skier. I kept it for the last day of our trip reading the reviews but it was not that bad at all.
She did not complain or stop which is rather a good sign as she prefers blue runs all the time.
In fact the only time she stopped scared in 3V was the very top and short bit from top of the Sauliere in Courchevel to just before the start of Creux run. (saying this obviously we did not try many other red runs etc.)
I left Mont Vallon and red Sauliere run for the last day of the trip but we only did the former at the end, and early in the morning so no bumps etc.
Great views from Mont Vallon as well.

It is possible to miss out that "short bit from top of the Sauliere in Courchevel to just before the start of Creux run" which is often a slushy, busy, messy mogulfield with collisons later in the day. From the Pas du Lac bubble head towards Courchevel, dropping just right of the path over to the top of Viselle bubble/Marmotte chair, which then turns almost 180 degrees to join onto the path back from Viselle to the big rock.
snow report
Been up that lift several times, but have never skied those pistes.

Just head down the off-piste directly under the lift all the way back down.

I've always had fun there
snow conditions
Campagnol is a path at the top but widens out lower into a real.blast of a run. It does have a deceptive hump in it that was the cause of a megacrash by a large number of our party.
Combe gets mounted very quickly, especially in soft snow. I have never enjoyed it that much.
ski holidays
I heard someone use a very good term to describe combe de vallon - a "glory run". That's a great description. It is NOT black, just pure red red, nothing overly difficult to a reasonably confident skier, but you have opportunity to really go for it and burn your legs. It is a fantastic run. If you are happy doing the reds in courchevel and meribel you'll be fine (the reds in val thorens are a bit easier), you may just need to stop for a few breathers. Snow usually good there too, powdery when other pistes icy, not sure what present state is. Go for it.

Avoid the green run (I think "ours") at all costs unless you want to do serious pole-action
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy