Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why do skis stay the same width as length increases?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The question is in the title, take a particular model of ski, if a big 190cm / 100kg guy needs a longer ski than a 150cm / 50kg guy, why isn't it wider?
Currently, as a ski gets longer, the width stays the same but the turn radius gets bigger, so the shortest ski in the model with a 16m radius will ski quite differently to the longest with a 20m radius?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@tangowaggon, not always the case. My Head Kore 93s are actually 91 mm wide in the length I've got (171). It's only the 177s that are 93 mm wide. So some manufacturers do change the width with the length. I don't recall what the turn radii are.

There's probably a fair degree of marketing in the selection of widths - if a ski is available in 5 different lengths, and changes width by 2 mm per length increment, what width is it? The Kore 93 could be a Kore 89, or Kore 97. So is it a ~90 mm ski, or a ~100 mm ski? And how would Head justify having a Kore 99, and possibly Kore 87, in their line up?

If the aim was to make each size ski the same, the layup would need to be (subtly) different, core composition tweaked slightly etc. And I reckon there would still be differences - I very much doubt that you and I will ever have the same impression of a ski (in an appropriate size for each of us), given that we're towards opposite ends of the size & strength spectrum. It's probably an unachievable goal.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@tangowaggon, I think you might be over thinking this.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In general the thinner a ski the easier it is to flip from edge-to-edge, so the faster you can link your turns. And for the same length a narrow ski puts all the skiers weight on the hill through a smaller area so applies more pressure on the snow.

At one extreme you have a slalom race ski where you want really quick edge switching, so they need to be narrow and the best way to handle different skier weights (for a slalom ski) is to change the length.

At the other extreme you have pure, deep powder skis. Here the need to spread the skiiers weight over as much snow area as possible is much more important than how quickly/tightly you can turn the ski, so you go wide - but you do still need to be able to turn the skis/not have a stance that looks like you're riding an invisible horse to keep the two planks apart so there are practical limits...where you're back to only having length to play with.

That's the logic for the two extremes. For most skis it's probably just cheaper/easier to make a batch of a specific ski in different lengths than mess around trying to balance both different lengths and widths for different skier bodies.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm not sure why you're thinking that the parameters are connected, particularly. Skis (and snowboards) are sold "by length", but really that's just a convenience, in so much as it helps retailers and skiers because if they find a particular ski/board "too short", they pick the size which is "longer".

In reality, you could to some extent build a single model of ski in a single length, varying instead the flex of the ski depending on skier weight. Burton did that with the first generation Burton Fish boards. They produced a single length... in a couple of different flex patterns. That worked great, but confused internet people, retailers and snowboarders, so they went back to ... selling different "lengths". But really they were selling boards aimed at people of different weight.

To some extent width is the same (with some extra complexity for snowboards). If you like a narrow or a wide ski, that's not really much to do with your weight particularly, it's more about what you're riding on and why. There's no reason a heavier racer, for example, would want worse cornering characteristics than a lighter one, or the other way around.

The overall design of a ski is a combination of multiple parameters such as width, length and stiffness. That they typically sell them as a set of "lengths" is just to keep it simple for y'all. The consequence of it... is that some people like some skis more than others, because the particular mix of those characteristics is different, even amongst skis of the same nominal length.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@phil_w, and same "nominal" dimensions ...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The waist on Scott The Ski changed with length (I think that's the case with other Scott skis as well)- but whereas there are some skis that do this, I think they are in the minority.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OGSO ski essentially have two ski's a fully rocketed and a traditional camber. they come in a light wight for touring, and a medium weight for free ride. then each model is based on a waist of 10mm eg 70 - 80 - 90 underfoot but within that model its scaled so for example if I ski their 90 underfoot bing tall and having a longer ski it 98 underfoot.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@tangowaggon, it is a reasonable question. Generally a ski character is at least in part implied by it's underfoot (waist dimension). When you keep the waist the same across a range of lengths then if you also maintain tip and tail size then you do affect the turn radius. How much depends on the the disparity between waist and tip/tail, how much that matters depends on the skis other characteristics (camber/rocker/etc).

A couple of examples:

When we made Redeemers they came in 2 lengths, 180 & 190. The waist and widest points were the same, and as the widest points were relatively close together (5 point ski) the two lengths did have quite distinct characters. In anything less than powder the 180 was way turnier than the 190.

We made the gen2 Director in a range of sizes 151-191 with nominally the same tip/waist/tail. Each skis felt similar to those next to it in the range, but the 151 was definitely different to the 191. Additionally the 191 was definitely a mid-fat to a height appropriate rider, the 151 was a pretty FAT ski for someone it fitted height wise.

On some of our later skis we do mess with tip/waist/tail dims to try and keep character more stable across the sizes. So a ski nominally 104 say underfoot may be fractions different one way or the other at that point and at the tip tail to smooth out the differences.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, I think you're seriously "under thinking" this, at least as far as the the theory goes, the question is, does the theory actually appear too highly on your your purchase hierarchy?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Old Fartbag wrote:
The waist on Scott The Ski changed with length (I think that's the case with other Scott skis as well)- but whereas there are some skis that do this, I think they are in the minority.

Yup, my Scott Slight 93s vary from 91 to 97mm as the length goes from 170 to 185cm.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy