Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sole pain when skiing with carver

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I’ve got a new carver, definitely stiffer than my other wider skis and longer effective edge too. It seems every time I ski with them my soles hurt quite a bit. It’s more the left foot but also feel in the right, not as bad though.
Any suggestion how to try to fix this? Ultimately if nothing helps I might need to swap for another gentler ski I guess!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are your feet tensing up when skiing this ski?

If you put a tennis ball under the sole of your foot and role it about with some weight on it (outside/inside/middle of foot), is it very painful in various spots? If so, work on the tight spots.

Are you on custom insoles?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Old Fartbag wrote:
Are your feet tensing up when skiing this ski?

If you put a tennis ball under the sole of your foot and role it about with some weight on it (outside/inside/middle of foot), is it very painful in various spots? If so, work on the tight spots.

Are you on custom insoles?

I used to tense up in carved turns and occasionally still notice this happening but I generally control it much better, not exclusive for these skis too.

I can cause some pain pressing the middle and the inside.

Boot custom fitted as well as the insoles. About 3 years old and prob 10 weeks of use.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My advice is to use a tennis ball on the soles of your feet and a Trigger Point roller on your calves - see correct technique on YouTube under "Trigger Point" technique videos.....it might just help.

Also try doing a wall stretch, where you face the wall, place one leg behind you for support. Place the ball of the foot that you are stretching against the wall (heel on the floor) and gently press your knee towards the wall:

http://youtube.com/v/o9YNnCay68Q

....And as well as that, try to be aware if you are tensing you feet during skiing - like scrunching up your toes.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks - I did the exercises yesterday and today before skiing.

After the first hour, the pain came as usual. I decided to loosen up the 2 buckle (bottom - up) since it is the opposite side of the pain. It wasn’t tight, just firm. I became way gentler in buckling this winter and use the 1 finger for bottom and 2 fingers to upper buckles rule. To my surprise It seemed to have got much better and I finished the day with no more than mild discomfort.

It must be a combination of factors including the bigger forces this ski causes against my feet That requires a more relaxed buckling of the lower ones and tightness of my calves.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Gustavobs, Glad you're getting a handle on it.....having a forum to bounce ideas off, can often come up trumps.

Sometimes it's just a process of elimination and applying common sense/logic.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy