Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where for cost-effective footbeds in London/Vail?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

Thanks so much for all the advice in my other thread. I was hoping that you might be able to advise a cost effective solution for footbeds in London.

I have almost flat over pronated feet. A 45min ski session in Milton Keynes left me with a lot of pain on the inside of my arch and outside edge of my foot.

As I have read and been advised on this forum, CEM and Profeet are both excellent boot fitters. But having looked at costs in Vail (including $280 on group lessons, not including ski pass!) and taking into account that I am a beginner who does not going skiing regularly I would rather not spend £350+ on boots/footbeds. I am sure that is the way to get the best fitting, but taking into account the amount I go skiing, my novice status and bank balance - I was hoping for a cheaper solution.

Is there one?

I had footbeds made for running shoes at Profeet 4 years ago, I do not rate them (I think they flex too much), but would it be worth sticking them in the boot? I also have NHS orthotics that are excellent, but they are a bit too thick. I put the orthotic in the ski boots at Milton Keynes and almost cried after 10mins, I don't think the orthotic leaves enough space for my foot.

Should I try off the shelf Superfeet orthotics? Any other suggestions.

Thanks all
R
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rossyl,

You're clearly aware that you have issues with your feet and that potentially custom footbeds will provide an improvement to your condition and only you can define what cost effective actually means. £350 doesn't sound an outlandish amount to spend on one the most important parts of your kit. IF your boots do not fit or you are not balanced, it doesn't matter how good your kit or instruction, you will have a lousy time, especially as you've already confirmed
Quote:
A 45min ski session in Milton Keynes left me with a lot of pain on the inside of my arch and outside edge of my foot.
As you're persevering, clearly something about skiing interests you....and you asked
Quote:
Is there one?
Maybe, but why reinvent the wheel when Snowheads have already done this for you.

Take a short-cut and see CEM without doing the snakes-ladders painful route for your feet. Who know's you may even end up smiling. Cool

My wife has had painful bunions removed from both feet and we visited CEM two days ago leaving empty handed and bootless. We'll return when they have the boots which meet Mrs JB's requirements. I have a feeling that few other shops would have sent us away empty handed, and that's certainly been our experience in the past as we've both been sold boots which didn't fit over the years, and I'm not in the mood to repeat those mistakes again.
rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rossyl, noting that you're not happy with your current Profeet running shoe footbeds, I'm not sure if this will be of any help, but... a few years ago, I was beginning to think I might need new boots and took myself of to Profeet. They confirmed that my boots were a bit big but that an improvement, albeit a temporary one, could probably be achieved with a pair of custom footbeds. They duly made me some and I skied with them in my old boots for about 6 weeks', I think. I then went to CEM, who fitted me with a new pair of boots, said my Profeet footbeds were fine and popped them into the new boots. That was about two years/many weeks' skiing ago and the footbeds are still going strong. I think what I'm saying is that, wherever you have them made - and it sounds as though you do need them - a pair of custom footbeds would be a good first stage investment.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rossyl, If you possibly can afford it get some boots and footbeds custom fitted, they will last for years if you aren't skiing that much and even a session at MK will be way more fun. Despite what most people will tell you ski boots don't have to be uncomfortable but hired boots (given to you with no consideration of your foot shape beyond a rough length measurement) almost certainly will be even with a footbed!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would go to Filarinski's: http://www.filarinskis.com/. Custom footbeds there are £52, and with harder foam added underneath to give them longevity the price is £72. Profeet are really expensive, although they definitely seem to have a very good reputation. Filarinski's also do a student discount, 10% off which is pretty handy. If buying a new pair of boots as well, try haggling and get them thrown in/reduced.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not Vail, but I had my footbeds done by Jeff Bergeron in Breckenridge- $100 for boot fitting consultation that was applied to the $300? footbeds. Very satisfied with his knowledge, recommendations and footbeds.

I have heard good things about a boot fitter in Vail also- I think his name is Greg _____ and he works on the mountain just below the top of Chair 4.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
the guy in vail is Greg Hoffman, very good and well respected fitter, he has the skier enhancement centre at the top of chair 4 and a store in lions head circle where they sell boots (they just make adjustments, footbeds , alignment etc up the hill)

not sure what you are aiming to do, putting a custom footbed in a rental boot may help a little but with the issues you have it may not work, footbeds should be interfaced to the particular boot they will be used with, with a bit of alteration they can be adjusted to fit different boots, but it seems a waste to spend a load of cash on a footbed to stick it in a rental boot
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CEM, I've taken everyone's advice and I am booked in with you on 24th at 4pm, I spoke to Steve today who booked it. Looking forward to getting some footbeds, I'll be bringing boots as well.

I've not got decent ski socks, do you have "spares" for customers?

Cheers
R
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy