Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best brands for comfortable sweaters / jumpers?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've been on my fair share of ski holidays, but never really owned anything that was exceptionally comfortable to ski in. Well, I have a season lined up, and so I'm wondering what are the cosiest tops people here have worn under jackets? I'm especially interested in wool, as I hear again and again that it's the best common material for ski clothing, but I've always found wool to be a bit itchy.
Would never really spend more than £30 on a top, so nothing too high end or exotic please.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Icebreaker Merino base (sorry - might not fit you budget, but is the best base I've used)
Arcteryx Atom Coreloft mid layer (definitely doesn't meet your budget!))

You get what you pay for. If you're doing a season, might be worth spending the money.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@cailian, Wool? Is that to match your tweed plus fours and leather boots? Puzzled

You do know about “layering” don’t you?

Almost any “200” weight fleece will be a good mid layer but a more important question is what your outer layer is?

Wool is useful if you are likely to get wet and vastly superior in that regard over cotton. But you wouldn’t see me skiing in either. (Nor getting wet).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just get a fleece top, maybe a size up so its loose.

People recommend merino wool for a base layer, but i prefer burton baselayer. You can pick them up on sale often cheaply if you don't mind mixing instead of matching tops and bottoms. There is a burton sale on atm.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Decent merino base, something like Mons or icebreaker. Doesn’t get stinky and stays warm when it’s wet. Easy (in Nz at least) to pick up cheap in sales.

I have just bought in end of season sales a polartec alpha direct mid layer. Have used it the last two days and it’s really good. Yesterday in some brutal wind and snow under a goretex shell, kept me toasty and more importantly not clammy on 8am to 4pm non stop pow laps. Wore it today on its own in sun and wind, and kept me ridiculously warm considering how light it is. Skinned up 800m vertical and wasn’t sweaty either. Weighs 350 grams and packs down small.

Considering it cost me 100bux, I’m very happy with it - swung by the shop on the way home today and bought the other half one.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Decent merino wool base layer (needs to be decent as the cheaper/coarser fibres can be itchy) - Norrona's online outlet has top and bottoms for €40/piece atm.

Re jumpers for mid layers, any standard fleece will do the job. If you pay more you'll get something a bit more breathable and technical ((or heavier duty for reeeally cold days), but you probably won't notice much real world difference between that and a cheapo fleece (unless you're hiking a lot - or out in -20°C, but then you'd just add another layer if need be).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm a big fan of Decathlon. Base layers starting from €5 a pop, plus fleeces for not much more. I don't like wool as I find it too itchy. Most countries have Decathlon online/mail order if you cannot get to a store.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I haven’t found any merino base layers that don’t make me itchy. Which is a shame.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I always wear merino base layers and don't find them itchy, but some people have more sensitive skin. I've also got a merino wool mid layer, but don't use it for sports. The main reason for this is the weight – when compared to my usual fleece top, it is a lot heavier, and as it would usually spend half the day in my bag, the lighter one is better. The fleece will also dry really quickly. The main difference I can tell between the cheap and pricier ones, is the styling. Functionally, they are pretty similar.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helly Hansen have a life/merino hybrid base layer (Warm Ice I think) which is the best ski garment of any kind I own. Seems not to deliver any itch and on a spring day is all I wear under a shell jacket (on the top half for those of you sniggering at the back)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@cailian, wool, ah, that takes me back. I still have some beautiful wollen jumpers but would't consider them for skiing - far too heavy. Wool has a reputaion for being warm when wet but that is only really in comparison to cotton and other natural fibres. modern man made fibres are really so much better: warmer, lighter, dry quicker, longer lasting and cheeper. However, you will not get that lingering wet dog smell as the wool dries. A reminder of my youth.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@johnE, I have two Norwegian oiled wool jumpers I bought in 1977. I still sometimes wear them when I go fishing on my boat; 43 years on. I think I've had my money's worth out of them. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Awdbugga, It must be me but I tend to wear the elbows out. 43 years is probably a good life span.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cailian wrote:
I've been on my fair share of ski holidays, but never really owned anything that was exceptionally comfortable to ski in. Well, I have a season lined up, and so I'm wondering what are the cosiest tops people here have worn under jackets? I'm especially interested in wool, as I hear again and again that it's the best common material for ski clothing, but I've always found wool to be a bit itchy.
Would never really spend more than £30 on a top, so nothing too high end or exotic please.

You’re in luck. Sports Pursuit has a sale running on Icebreaker Merino. They set the standard. This is « jumper » thickness and it’s marvelous.

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/1961533

Or something like this as a cosy base layer
https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/2083276
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks to everyone who offered a genuine answer! Ended up getting Icebreaker merino wool bases - seem to fit fine and cope well with cold on a hike, hopefully should be fine in the alps too
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy