Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Avalanche Airbag Rental?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm in Chamonix for a week at the beginning of March for a ski touring course that ends with a 2 night hut to hut. I'd like to rent a reasonably sized airbag rucksack (~35-45l) for the occasion, but I seem to be having some difficulty finding out if this is possible. Certainly a bit of searching digs up the fact that there are places that do rent avalanche safety gear, but I can't see any mention of prices or exactly what sort of kit is available. Best I can manage is finding a few places which will rent me smaller bags, which is not really what I'm after.

Does anyone have any useful information about this? Or better yet a link to an appropriate website that I've somehow managed to miss?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And answer came there none! Is there a better place for me to be asking this question?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snell sports certainly sells them, and it's one of the biggest and best gear shops in Chamonix, so I'd be surprised if they didn't rent them. They definitely rent transceivers etc, but I don't know for sure about ABSs. You could contact the company you are doing the course with, I'm sure their local guide would know where you could rent one.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The company has taken care of all the standard stuff at least... probes, shovels, transceivers. Clearly airbags are a luxury item! I'll chuck them an email in case they have anything helpful to say, and Snell sports too. Ta.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snell Sports rent them for 25 euros/day.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sanglard also rent them.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Avalanche Academy wrote:

Is that for large rucksacks though? Everywhere I've found that actually has a website (and I think there's a conspiracy amongst Chamonix businesses, cos they aren't keen on websites) will hire out smaller ~20-25l bags. Guess I'm going to have to make some phonecalls and speak to actual people. Gosh, it'll be like the 90s again.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Serriadh wrote:
Avalanche Academy wrote:

Is that for large rucksacks though? Everywhere I've found that actually has a website (and I think there's a conspiracy amongst Chamonix businesses, cos they aren't keen on websites) will hire out smaller ~20-25l bags. Guess I'm going to have to make some phonecalls and speak to actual people. Gosh, it'll be like the 90s again.

Not just Chamonix, I think most ski resort shops have rubbish websites... what do they do all summer, they could be learning HTML wink [if nothing else this post will now spawn a list of excellent websites, which won't be a bad thing].

If you can't get a large sack you should be able to do a 2-nighter with a 25l pack. You'll end up strapping your jacket etc to the outside on the uphills, it might be a struggle to fit stuff in but at least you'll be forced to go light:-) Well, not actually that light 'cos you'll have an airbag and cylinder to carry, but you get my drift.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Footworks, right opposite Aig d'Midi lift rents out mammut airbag backpacks. (they are a mammut pro-shop)

((the actual rental shop is right in the main square of cham sud, but i've said the main shop above for ease of directions. if you don't know cham follow signs for aig d'midi, next door to the pharmacy, and facing the lift is their main shop and they will point you round the corner to their rental shop.))
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy