Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why do you like to ski off-piste?

Poster: A snowHead
In the bad old days of the 1980s, the skis and techniques for off-piste skiing made it difficult for people like me to enjoy it. Some modern skis have apparently made off-piste skiing much more doable for the average 1-2 weeks a year British skier. (See also: The English and their big fat skis.)

But why do you like to ski off-piste? Is it the pleasure of skiing on/in soft snow or powder? Being away from crowded pistes? The excitement, challenge, or even danger? The way the newer, wider, rockered skis allow you to ski?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All of the above Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't ski off-piste, I don't have the skill or the inclination. But I presume it's about making fresh tracks and getting away from it all.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's more of a challenge.

Deep soft snow makes landings easier.

No-one else is around.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
More fun- challenges- less numpties on ski blades
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I want to ski everything.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
All of the above, plus for me its about the variety of runs you can do off piste, not just the different slopes but you could ski the same off piste run everyday of the winter and it would be different almost every time.

Wider or newer skis just enable us to put a different shape on the mountain, but at the end of the day we are still skiing the same off piste runs that were skied back in the 70's and 80's and even before that!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Even the shortest bootpack/skin can make you feel you are hundreds of miles away from everyone else. Even those skiing off piste who haven't done made the small extra step of a 10 minute walk.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
All the above. Also I find it great fun and satisfying to find new off piste areas and variations on existing ones. Spend my time on lifts hunting around for bits of mountain that look skiable, then checking maps and aerial pics. When conditions seem good team up with a trusted ski buddy, pack the skins and head off. This season has been a good one so far for new lines partly due to great snow conditions and more and more local knowledge. Even in the summer months when out hiking or biking I'm spotting for possibilities. I guess the number one reason is the need to feed the powder addiction.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Less of a fustercluck in many resorts. Powder, corn, a bit of self-reliance. I really hate busy pistes and probably wouldn't ski at all if that's all there was.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's quite nice.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Piste skiing is like dancing on a solid floor - it just saps the energy out of you.

Off-piste skiing is like dancing on a properly suspended floor where you feel like you want to go on all night.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
To get away from other folk (sadly failing in this little video clip ) Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:
It's quite nice.
Laughing
snow report
kitenski wrote:
(sadly failing in this little video clip ) Wink
And for the rear-view click here.
snow report
I enjoy it. I don't use big fat skis though, my "biggest" are 92mm underfoot and I normally ski 78mm underfoot. An instructor once told me that if you want to ski knee deep powder, then you need to be in the powder, not on top of it. Skiing knee deep powder *ROCKS*

Note: *really* bad technique is model's own
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
It's quite nice.
Actually, it's beyond nice and approaches life-affirming. I struggle to think of a better way to spend a day than skiing deep, un-tracked snow with some good friends.

http://vimeo.com/36220598
latest report
rob@rar, Is that from your trip to Japan It looks fantastic and sums up why we ski off piste Very Happy
snow report
Adventure, there are plenty of mountains in the world with no pistes on them all waiting to be skied.

Plus the bliss of skiing in powder.
snow report
Glen Charman wrote:
rob@rar, Is that from your trip to Japan It looks fantastic and sums up why we ski off piste Very Happy
Yes, a short clip of one of the days we had there last month.
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
I really hate busy pistes and probably wouldn't ski at all if that's all there was.

I have been skiing at Hemel so I'm also a massive hypocrite. wink
ski holidays
Its just great to be out there, you feel close to nature in the back bowls and the scenery is just awesome, that feeling of tranquility, no crowds and challenging yourself is what its about for me. New rockered skis just make it so accessible, and its a real satisfaction when done well, and very unforgiving if not! Every day's a school day, and learning new lines. Loads of planning, loads of map searching for potential routes, and walking it in summer on a hot day imagining 6 months time in deep powder - just the best.
ski holidays
Floating in pow is just the best feeling in the world.

Fun.

Testing my self - skills and balls. And being free to take sole responsibility for my actions, no rules, but big punishments.

Being humbled and feeling truly insignificant to the untamed mountains.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 6-03-12 13:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
It allows gratuitous use of helicopters?
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
It's quite nice.

Interesting answers everybody - thank you. I especially liked the one above.

The last time I did some 'proper' off-piste skiing with a guide, I fell over and landed in what felt like a big soft pile of duvets. 30 seconds later I fell over again and landed elbow-first on what felt like a big hard rock just below the snow surface. It turned out to be, perhaps unsurprisingly, a big hard rock just below the snow surface. It was quite not nice.

I have a fear of deep water and the power of water, and that fear also seems to manifest itself in the form of avalanche phobia. I haven't done any off-piste skiing for 4 years, apart from a very few slope-side excursions into shallow and mostly tracked out snow. I love skiing in a few inches of fresh snow on the piste, or on the chopped up snow that gets pushed to the sides of pistes, but if I go even a short distance outside the piste boundaries I have trouble shaking the feeling that I'm not really meant to be there.

Can anyone talk some sense into me, other than MTFU, because I know I'm missing out on a big part of skiing.
snow report
Quote:

I have a fear of deep water

In the case of water (and snow too) it's the shallow stuff with rocks underneath that you really have to look out for. wink
snow report
Nothing wrong with a fear of avalanches. Maybe try some courses to learn to asses conditions better, and/or offpiste lessons with a good instructor?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I have a fear of deep water

In the case of water (and snow too) it's the shallow stuff with rocks underneath that you really have to look out for. wink

And the stuff with Tiger sharks swimming around in it!
ski holidays
Challenge and variety.
snow report
because it feels all floaty Blush
snow conditions
kooky, If you get it right snowHead
if you dont, you have the added challenge of trying to get up again Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Because its quiet, no lift noise, if you have hiked you feel you have earned it. Lots of powder is the most wonderful feeling.

For me the main ones are getting away from crowded pistes and the challenge of it at times (especially trees...deep powder in trees is........best thing in the world!!) Embarassed
ski holidays
carroz wrote:
Because its quiet, no lift noise, if you have hiked you feel you have earned it. Lots of powder is the most wonderful feeling.

For me the main ones are getting away from crowded pistes and the challenge of it at times (especially trees...deep powder in trees is........best thing in the world!!) Embarassed

What about tree wells? Don't they put anyone off skiing near trees?
latest report
Walter-Spitty, And the branch cuts accross your nose, thats me everytime!! Laughing
snow report
Walter-Spitty wrote:
What about tree wells? Don't they put anyone off skiing near trees?
There are risks when skiing off-piste that you don't get when skiing on piste, but there are risks to all aspects of skiing starting with travelling to the resort. We either decide that those risks are too great and we decide to opt out, or we take (hopefully) appropriate precautions and enjoy skiing terrain that we feel comfortably with. If you're worried about tree wells you can ski with a friend, carry a whistle, carry a phone, ski more slowly, avoid flat light, etc, etc. Or stay on piste and get run over by an idiot on blades. The choice is yours.

wink
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
Walter-Spitty, And the branch cuts accross your nose, thats me everytime!! Laughing
I got branch-whipped in Morzine in January. Spitting blood for 15 minutes. Was still an awesome day.

Spent a lot of time in the trees in Japan in February (see video above). I was the only one in the group that didn't hit a tree during the trip, although that was only because on one occasion my left ski twisted off otherwise I would have skied with one leg either side of a sturdy birch tree. That was a close shave. Was still an awesome trip Happy
latest report
rob@rar, the south africans were harder to hit than the trees though Wink
ski holidays
rob@rar,
Quote:

I got branch-whipped in Morzine in January. Spitting blood for 15 minutes. Was still an awesome day.

and what was the skiing like
wink

ricfrench, does that mean I have been doing it right? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
kitenski wrote:
rob@rar, the south africans were harder to hit than the trees though Wink
That took a lot of skill.

kooky, wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy