Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon "wide" boots no longer available?

Poster: A snowHead
Was considering one of the wide-fit boots (Synapse) from Salomon for this winter (I physically can't get my feet into Salomon's normal boot shape). There's no mention of wide-fit on their site anywhere though. Have the stopped offering this option?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
we can make any boot wider, proper fitting is the key to this issue.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER, out of curiosity, what would you charge for fitting if I didn't buy the boots from you? I'm a BASI instructor and can get them at a reduced price.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Foodbeds are 95 euros, fitting would depends on what needs doing. Liner moulding and stretching could see you pay around €150 with Footbeds. The Malamute needs completely disassembling and the liner fitting to get your foot in, so can kinda understand the problem, the Pledge is sweet too.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, don't want to hijack the thread but how much stretch is in a snowboard boot? A friend of mine has very small feet (uk womens size 1.5) and has all kinds of problems finding boots - she's been through at least half a dozen pairs to my knowledge. She's been using a size 2 salomon boot for a few years now but because she has to do them up so tight, she loses feeling very quickly.

Would it be possible to stretch a child boot to accomodate an adult foot and leg shape, or would that be asking too much? She's tried kids boots in the past and although they fitted her foot, they bit into the calf muscle too much.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Richard_Sideways, We can probably fill the space, change the liner, do a few things. Children's boots maybe an option, but in most cases simply aren't made to last, so the process would need repeating over and over. We've dealt with it before, perhaps a visit is best.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'll point her in your direction, though not sure we'll be in Chamonix any time soon, already committed to peisey vallandry for this years trip.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stevomcd.
In TSA here they have the Salomon synapse wide this season so they are out in a brown colour.
I actually tryed them on recently over here it says wide in the boot but not on the TSA website or catalog..
Some malamutes are on sale at TSA online.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well, been to a couple of shops today and really p*ssed off about this. As Tirol 164, says, TSA have the Synapse in a Wide version. As he also says, this is not mentioned anywhere on either TSA or Salomon's site. It's clearly marked inside the boot tongue though.

Unfortunately, they didn't have them in my size, just a half-size too big. So I went to another shop and found a set in my size. They felt tighter across the foot, but I figured it was just the smaller size. Look closely, and this pair don't have the "wide" marking inside the tongue.

So, now being confident of the correct size at least, I try to just order a wide pair on-line. Unfortunately, very few on-line shops have any mention of whether the boots are wide or not. Went back into TSA and they were pretty helpful, checking things out and being able to tell me there are definitely two versions and that they have the wide one.

There is definitely no mention of the 2 versions on the Salomon site, they really need to clarify this as it was confusing the hell out of me (and clearly out of some retailers too).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Half size don't exist chez Salomon, shells cover whole and half size. Either liner or footbed does he work, however when correctly fitting the boots a custom dotted works best and the moulding of the liner negate differences.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, would love to get my boots custom-fitted but unfortunately can't really justify doubling the cost! Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stevomcd, How does it double the cost? We don't charge for selling a boot and fitting it properly, footbeds for sure are an additional cost, but there are options according to budget, pint in question here is that no matter what the budget or price of boot, they should be getting fitted to you, if they are not, you are basically paying full price for a steak in a restaurant and it arrives raw!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Only buy the boots that you have shell checked yourself as far as lenght goes not another model as it may be another last.
The wides are definately designed for japan so are another boot probably another last
thats what I would do if in your position.

With tsa having them it is much easier now but getting a real fitter and the boots in a few sizes in the same place is not easy in the uk.

Once you do footbeds your boot size could change down again (then maybe even your binding size).
I watched the fitter shorten my foot on a measuring device by just applying light finger pressure to the foot imitating support like a footbed does.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 20-05-12 22:58; edited 6 times in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

stevomcd, How does it double the cost?

'Cos you quoted €150 further up the page and just suggested the best option to be a full-custom liner! Shocked

Sorry, don't mean to be cheeky, I am not in any way doubting the value (or the effort required) to do a proper custom fit, it's just expensive and boots ain't cheap to start with.

Tell you what though, I'm flying back into Geneva on Friday morning and driving back to Sainte Foy. Not a huge detour to go via Chamonix. You around Friday? Got Synapse or similar in stock (UK8 seems the right sole length)? Basic fitting included in the boot sale price, right? They Synapse with the wide liner really was a pretty good fit, just couldn't get the right sole length.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stevomcd, We're here for sure, can be around to talk you through the process and look at the range.
snow report
stevomcd, Boots seem to take the stretching well.
latest report
ski holidays
The toe box will come back to match the other.
ski holidays
Cool, will give you a call later today - going to be back over your way next Monday.
ski holidays
So how did it all work out?
That looks like a Spark boot.. was that the victim of choice for stevomcds feet?

If so how was it initially and after few weeks once you got snow to use it.
If the process was repeated for a future pair, would you choose another model/brand or do anything differently at all?
snow conditions
Tirol 164, it is indeed a Deelux Spark. SMALLZOOKEEPER widened the toe-boxes for me to match my square-shaped feet.

They were very snug to start with and I had a lot of foot pain, but they've broken in really well and are now pretty comfortable. Good boots to ride in too - nice and responsive, great for hiking in. Would happily buy the same boot again.
latest report
Tough hiking Boardboots like Sparks but from Italy .

www.fitwellsrl.it
www.livebackcountry.com/?page_id=19

Stevomcd,
I am curious how much those 26.5,s got punched out it looks quite alot .
Do you know what width in mm your feet are?

It looks nicely isolated stretch was it a afternoon job or does that work take longer I imagine it would .
snow report
Tirol 164, no idea how wide my feet are in mm. It was very targeted - SZK was able to open up the boot just in the area I really needed (across the fore-foot, just behind the toes).

It is probably doable in an afternoon, or at least overnight - I picked mine up a week or two after I first went in so not really sure.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy