Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayhrofen - anyone willing to report?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey all

I’m heading from Munich to the Mayhrofen area on the 16th of March for a (long) weekend on the slopes.

I ended up choosing to stay in Ramsau: * Mountain and Soul * the place is called – anyone around here has stayed there per chance?

Also, you have any idea how crowded should the roads be on a Friday morning from Munich to Austria? Anyone in the area that can report the need for snow chains?

Finally, how do you see a jump (drive) to Solden? And to St. Anton? Is it feasible?

Thanks in advance for any return! Cheers!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Look like you are going with a car, right?

At over 100miles away St Anton is out as it is too far. If Solden were doable the distance is still 93miles. Skie Welt, Kitzbuhel, Alpbach, Stubai etc are a lot closer and before Innsbruck.

If you have a car Zillertal Valley will keep you busy for a week as there are two skiing areas comparable in size to Mayrhofen in addition to Hintertux Glacier and some other smaller areas making up a total of 452km piste.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the tip saikee. snowHead

Indeed I shall be going with a car.

I'm rather doing this trip to get a feel / glimpse rather than to explore in detail; so while I'm sure that half of those 452km suffice, I don't see those 100miles as a real problem for the distance alone. Besides, I like to drive for the driving itself, in particular because I should be going with a nice car to drive.

Main problem is the road condition: 100miles might be 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours, totally feasible, or double that if there is traffic and/or snow - that's why I was asking around to know other's past experiences.

Anyway, cheers for the suggestions! Will keep them in mind!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I find the Austrian roads alright myself. The section from Zillertal valley, where Mayrhofen lies, to Innsbruck has more traffic but the section after Innsbruck to Solden and Arlberg is normally quiet as it leads to Leichenstein and Germany border. This section tradionally has been well patrolled by the Austrian police so do watch out.

The road will be busy and two hours in each direction is unavailable AFAIK. You do realize coming back after a full day skiing is another two hours on the road.

St Anton is not fully linked and you need to drive another distance into Lech if you want to see the best part. St Anton itself is not far away from the main road just before the tolled tunnel.

Solden has less traffic as it is deep inside a valley with single-lane country road. If you go there early enough you can park right next to the lift station. Two of the lift stations are equipped with multi level car parks. You might be able to ski Solden, stay there for a night, then go to St Anton the next day and drive leisurely back to Mayrhofen after a full day skiing.

Get a piste map before you embark the jouney so that you know exactly where to park and hop into the lift as soon as possible. Austria resorts do not charge for parking.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers again for all that info!!

I'm usually done with skiing by 5pm-ish (6pm at the latest), and have no particular issues with a 2h-drive back! Just put some nice music on, enjoy the scenery and the vehicle, eventually the company if I am going with other people. I may also stop on the way for dinner, and still arrive on time for whatever in the hotel / base area.

Still all your remarks make sense & seem useful. Thanks again saikee!!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
PeterSnowhead, I haven't stayed at Mountain and Soul, but I have eaten there. The food was good and the restaurant had a great view of the Zillertal.
It's up a road a little way above the main part of the village. If it's snowing when you arrive you might find chains helpful to get up to it.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hey SaraJ

Many thanks for the tip / info. Madeye-Smiley

As much as I'd love it to be snowing upon arrival, I have to admit that it should be a problem... moreover so because I am supposed to have winter tires but not chains! Let's see.

Well I notice that you *are* in Zillertal - I assume you are local? Mind if I ask you if you're around and hitting the slopes any of those days that I'm around (16-19th of March)? It's my first time skiing in Austria and I'll be going solo, and I'd be delighted to have a run down a couple of slopes with someone (or some people) who know(s) the place already.

Cheers again!!! snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I am supposed to have winter tires but not chains!

not sure what you mean by that. If you do have winter tyres, it's still not beyond the realms of possibility that you would be required, or need, to use chains as well. But nobody can tell you now what the weather will be like on 17 March - there will be plenty of people hoping for plenty of new snow.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hey pam_w - it so happens that I'm picking up my rental in Munich, and I've booked the car with winter tires (then again, they are apparently mandatory anyway).

But I have made no provision for chains, and I'd rather ask for a 4x4 than include chains in the rental.

Anyway, let's also see what tricks the weather reserves us, we're still a couple of weeks away from then! Puzzled
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy