Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Back from Kitzbuhel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
That's me back from Kitzbuhel. Weather wise hugely varied conditions, we arrived on Saturday to sunny weather but snow all around the airport which is always a good sign in Austria! Saturday was feeling warm and managed to get a few hours in up the Horn. Nice little area in it's own right with some good off piste but only really a half days worth for piste bashers. There's no snow making anywhere either.

Sunday was over cast but with loads of untracked powder to be found. Headed over to the Pass Thurn area where there is off piste everywhere..... Sunday later on it began to snow and didn't stop until Tuesday, anything above a blue became off piste on piste had a guide for these days and had superb fun in waist deep (and some times deeper powder). Wednesday was lovely and sunny but remained cold enough, with all that loose snow it didn't bond too well to what was below and there were lovely moguls everywhere. Picking your way down some of the busier blues was some of the most difficult skiing of the week as bodies were strewn all over the place after falling int he bumps.

Thursday saw overcast conditions and some snow and higher winds later on. Friday was real spring conditons, hard packed in the morning and heavy in the afternoon, glorious sitting in a bar enjoy the sun with a beer!

Thoughly enjoyed my week in Kitzbuhel it had been about 12 years since I was there previously and the 3S link to Pass Thurn makes it even better. With so much snow if you have the ability you could ski anywhere and I was still putting down virgin tracks as late in the week as Friday. On piste there were some great runs that would suit most, I would say there were allot of blues which were just tracks that you really had to keep your speed up-I'd imagine boarders would hate this, plus it was hard to impossible to avoid some of these runs- then other blue sections I reckon were a very dark red. Despite it being what was predicted to be the busiest week of the season I don't think I queued more than 5 mins the whole week, again there were a few pinch points lifts wise that you couldn't avoid-no resort is perfect in this respect though.

I'd thoughly recommend it as a town and ski area to anyone, 2.5 euro on mountain for a beer and very reasonable food prices makes for a much better overall holiday experience for those looking for a holiday as well as some awesome sliding. We were lucky with conditions having loads of snow right down to the town as the main negative I'd read was poor snow on the lower slopes-pretty much the same of any of the lower lying Austrian resorts. Of the 3 home runs we enjoyed red 22 running down to Kitzbuhel I don't know why but vs Blue 20 and Red 21 aka the family Strieff it was dead and very scenic.

4 weeks gone yesterday until St Anton makes the pain of being home bearable-will post some pics soon and add this into a full report into the relative section.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy