Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Burton Cruzer

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Howdy all,
Could anyone answer some "simple" questions.... ?

Have been advised by a friend who is an ex snowboard instructor that as beginners he recommends to start with regular cambered boards to learn on... however my Mrs looks set to buy a Burton Cruzer. I understand these are not regular cambered - is that correct ?

With that in mind - the board she is looking at is a 151 - her "stats" (well not ALL of them Laughing ) are :
5 foot 9
75KG
36" inside leg Shocked - ok i'm not sure that one is entirely relevant Laughing

sound "ok" ?.... a 151 that is - not her stats Embarassed

anyone offer any advice on the matter before she "plunges" - she has the money, and would rather stick with one board to learn on along with her boots - rather than pot luck in Hemel each time.

Cruzer ok to take on blue runs down teh mountain thereafter ?

appreciate any insights and/or "opinions"
ta !
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
most people will learn to ride on a cambered board.

rocker boards are more forgiving and will allow you to turn the board a bit easier without catching an edge. But it can also mean that your technique doesnt need to be as good as it does on a cambered board

basically learn i learnt on a camber and I believe for me it was better as it enabled me to learn the technique better. From there I went and got a hyrid board ( mixture of camber and rocker)

If she can try boards before she buys !!!!

womens boards will also feel different to mens. Mens boards are slightly harder to flex so for some lady riders will be less forgiving

dont just go with burton because its a brand she knows or because the board is cheap!!!!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A non-rocker would give a more stable or predictable ride, so probably not a bad idea for a beginner.
IIRC the Cruzer is pretty popular as a rental board, they're pretty bomb-proof, but on the heavy-side.

Why not have a look at something like the Burton Feelgood or Deja Vu as an alternative.
Your length estimate looks about right - somewhere around the low 150's
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Probably need to see pictures of those legs befor commenting further. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Cruzer has been around a long time and was always a "normal" cambered board. It may have changed in the last year or two, but I doubt it (possible though - the current Clash, also an entry-level board, has rocker).

I don't see it on the current Burton site, so can't confirm this - presumably it's an older model your Mrs is buying?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
She's not bought it yet - requested she hold off - we are in no rush really.
Yes it's the 2009 board, but unused as shop says it's been "out the back" gathering dust.

It's a 151... for £100 - which is not bad i guess for an unused Burton board, even if it is just for consistancy instead of pot luck each lesson.

She's not sold on the graphics - not girly enough Laughing

http://burton.emptybottleworks.com/2009/Cruzer/2009_Cruzer_151_59102716.jpg
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tell her to try some womens board out before she goes and buys something purely because it £100 !

and as for not liking the graphics..... Puzzled get a board that she feels ok with riding first.... sod the graphics. If it looks fab and pink but she cant get on with it then you have an expensive bit of wall art Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would be 99% sure the '09 Cruzer has regular camber.

151 will be fine - it is soft flexing, is short and has a narrow waist. Some people will try to tell you that a woman's specific board is somehow "different". I have yet to hear a satisfactory answer as to how.

They are very basic though - slow bases, etc.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ive found that the womens boards are easier to flex. So for a beginner they are slightly more forgiving.

At the end of the day buying a board purely because it £100 can lead to a board that she may not be suited to...

Trying boards is the best bet
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

ive found that the womens boards are easier to flex

Yes, because they are designed for a lighter rider. But if the OP's Mrs is in the right weight range for the Cruzer 151, then it makes no odds whether it is a "womans", "mans" or (as I think is the case here) "unisex" board.

A board can only react to the snow beneath it and your weight above it. What you do or do not have between your legs makes no difference!

OP: The board will be spot-on for learning on, assuming that your other-half is in the correct weight range (should be a sticker on the board with the relevant info if it's still in the wrapper). Only reason not to buy it might be that she'll progress out of it quite quickly. But at £100, you can't go wrong - sell it on ebay in a year or two and you'll get most of that back.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks for the discussion guys.. interesting to read.
Regarding - "trying out boards" - and demoing.. that's all very well if you can board to start with Laughing
We are talking about a complete novice learning, having a consistant "competant/correct sized" board,
instead of a random board each week, condition of which could differ, or even a different board from 1 week to the next..

appreciate the feedback on the 151 Cruzer... I may have to get some glue, glitter and shiney paper for the top sheet Embarassed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy