Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flying with Thompsons from Manchester - Hand Luggage checks

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone flown with Thompson from Manchester lately can tell me what the luggage checks were like. Our hand luggage normally weighs 10kg and is 23cm wide (OK for most airlines). Thompson say 20 cm and 5kg. Has anyone got any comments on their recent experiences of having their hand luggage checked or not checked as the case maybe?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DixieDean, flew Manchester to Jersay a few Decembers ago. There was less than 20 people on the flight and they were complete back bottoms with the hand luggage. Checked every single bag.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DixieDean, why not take the stress out of it and only 5kg in a suitably sized bag?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx wrote:
DixieDean, why not take the stress out of it and only 5kg in a suitably sized bag?

This.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
...........plus its Thomson.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
they have the racks at check in. I wouldnt risk it - having been stung by Ryan Air for a bag that did fit!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm not that bothered to be quite honest - its Mrs Dean that's having apoplexy. I must admit she doesn't really take anything that we don't actually need, but she fills 2 x 20Kg and 2 x 10 kg to the limit when we fly with easyJet or Jet2. Last time we went with Crystal we flew with easyJet as Crystal could only do Thompson flights from Gatwick and it was a lot cheaper for us to pay for easyJet and not use the Thompson flight than it was to drive to Gatwick. Doing it that way we were still eligible for coach transfer and 2 for 1 lift passes. I might try to do that again if we ever go with Crystal again, even if they have flights from Manchester!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DixieDean wrote:
she fills 2 x 20Kg and 2 x 10 kg to the limit

60kg...for two people...and its all essential? I struggle to fill one 20kg,and that includes boots.My hand luggage is my backpack c/w camera and a sandwich.
I think Mrs Dean needs to re-think her 'essentials' Puzzled
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had my ski bag (inc boots) 18kg...............no hand luggage. Shocked
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DixieDean, good grief. Clothing including ski stuff, helmet, shovel, probe, boots. All less than 20Kg. What's 'essential'?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gatwick experience, but they were checking us very carefully to the 5kg so I wouldn't risk it. Plus who wants to lug 10kg round the departure lounge anyway - more ruthlessness with the packing required! aj xx
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
DixieDean, flew Manchester to Jersay a few Decembers ago. There was less than 20 people on the flight and they were complete back bottoms with the hand luggage. Checked every single bag.

i flew with them to corsica in the summer (never again) my camera pack weighed in at 12 kg and contained £3k worth of kit and they wanted me to just put it in the hold (and they couldn't be responsible if anything broke if it was not properly protected!!!!)..... not sure how many pieces the lenses would have been in if we had done that, it took a 15min "discussion" with a supervisor till they actually saw sense

it fitted in the overhead locker and i was perfectly able to put it there without assistance.... sometimes i think these rules are made up to keep someone in a job
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's not about "essentials" but more that a girl likes to have "choice". Or so my wife says rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CEM wrote:
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:

i flew with them to corsica in the summer (never again) my camera pack weighed in at 12 kg and contained £3k worth of kit and they wanted me to just put it in the hold (and they couldn't be responsible if anything broke if it was not properly protected!!!!)..... not sure how many pieces the lenses would have been in if we had done that, it took a 15min "discussion" with a supervisor till they actually saw sense

it fitted in the overhead locker and i was perfectly able to put it there without assistance.... sometimes i think these rules are made up to keep someone in a job

I think that it's at least as much about revenue-raising opportunities and being a jobsworth. Most full-service airlines (is that term still in use?) don't bother checking hand luggage. I've recently seen several people taking nearly full size suitcases as hand luggage... I wouldn't want the overhead lockers to burst on me though!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowskisnow wrote:
DixieDean wrote:
she fills 2 x 20Kg and 2 x 10 kg to the limit

60kg...for two people...and its all essential? I struggle to fill one 20kg,and that includes boots.My hand luggage is my backpack c/w camera and a sandwich.
I think Mrs Dean needs to re-think her 'essentials' Puzzled

There is always this sort of reply whenever the subject of baggage weight allowance comes up. And whoever said that when you go on a holiday you only need the 'essentials'?

I always struggle to stay within the 20Kg limit for ski holidays when it includes the weight of boots and general skiwear. In fact, I estimate that the weight of the luggage itself, boots and all skiwear uses up three-quarters of the 20Kg allowance leaving just 5Kg for all non-ski wear and toiletries.

I have met many guys on ski holidays that wear the same shirt and jeans at breakfast and at the evening meal for the whole week! By the smell of them they are also wearing the same underwear all week, as well! Some of us men are not like that, and I would imagine that many women like to have a varied selection of clothing especially when staying at 'nice' hotel or chalet.

20Kg is not enough allowance for a ski holiday when that allowance includes skiwear and, in particular, the weight of a pair of ski-boots. I believe it is a scandal that the extra fee we pay for ski carriage does not cover a pair of boots, as well. I'm sure it used to be included. It's only over the past few years when boots no longer seem to be covered by the currently extortionate extra charge made for transporting a pair of skis.
snow conditions
Mr Marmot, if you insist on wearing a different frock every night then I'm not surprised that the 20Kg limit is a problem for you.
One pair of trousers/jeans is enough (that said, I also take a lightweight pair of tracky bottoms). Shower gel is fine for freshening up underwear, base layers, t-shirts etc, just make sure you rinse them well.

20Kg isn't a problem - If you need more then fork out for the excess or drive.
snow report
Mr Marmot wrote:
....I have met many guys on ski holidays that wear the same shirt and jeans at breakfast and at the evening meal for the whole week! By the smell of them they are also wearing the same underwear all week, as well! Some of us men are not like that..

Nor am I - but thank you for your concern.

Quote:
20Kg is not enough allowance for a ski holiday when that allowance includes skiwear and, in particular, the weight of a pair of ski-boots....

Yes it is. Either your luggage weighs a ton in itself, or you have no idea of how to pack down to weight. I must admit that I carry or wear my ski jacket or fleece - and I do hand wash some items during the holiday. Scarcely a pain. I think many airlines are relaxed about including a boot bag with your ski bag - but I'd rather be without the hassle of yet one further item of luggage.
snow report
Guys I certainly don't go on holiday to spend time doing my washing, and my cross-dressing fetish is none of your business, Mr agw!

I'm understand that you guys have absolutely no problem keeping within a 20Kg baggage weight limit with your ski holiday lifestyle, but we are all different and I maintain it is wrong for you to always say that someone who struggles to cope with a 20Kg limit is 'doing it all wrong'. Why is your way the right way? I certainly wouldn't travel home in my smelly sweaty ski jacket, for example.

Whilst, I personally feel that the clothing I require for a week's ski hoiliday requires about 30Kg of kit (if ski boots are included in that limit, which I have found is increasingly the norm), I am happy to pay extra for another 10Kg of luggage (and would be happy that you got a discount for having 10Kg less), but this should really only equate to a cost/saving of about £1 per Kg rather than the extortionate charges airlines like to levy.
snow conditions
DixieDean, I recently flew from Gatwick with them and they were very insistant on weighing everything, in the event a sensible precaution as the plane was so over weight they disembarked all the skis. This may have more reflected on the practicalities of landing/taking off from Chambrey, but from the other posts I'd reckon it's they will definatley check.

PS as someone who never seems to manage to travel light I sympathise with your missus and to those minimist packers I salute you but my ancient ski boots weigh in at a staggering 7kg on their own... god it's really time to get a new pair.
snow conditions
Mr Marmot wrote:
Guys I certainly don't go on holiday to spend time doing my washing,

Can you spare 5 minutes, maybe twice in a week?

Quote:
and my cross-dressing fetish is none of your business, Mr agw!

Toofy Grin
Quote:

I'm understand that you guys have absolutely no problem keeping within a 20Kg baggage weight limit with your ski holiday lifestyle, but we are all different and I maintain it is wrong for you to always say that someone who struggles to cope with a 20Kg limit is 'doing it all wrong'. Why is your way the right way?

err - because we save all those nasty excess baggage charges

Quote:
I certainly wouldn't travel home in my smelly sweaty ski jacket, for example.

Breathable, wicking layers are your friends. They don't tend to get smelly and are easy to wash and dry.

Quote:

Whilst, I personally feel that the clothing I require for a week's ski hoiliday requires about 30Kg of kit (if ski boots are included in that limit, which I have found is increasingly the norm), I am happy to pay extra for another 10Kg of luggage (and would be happy that you got a discount for having 10Kg less), but this should really only equate to a cost/saving of about £1 per Kg rather than the extortionate charges airlines like to levy.

Keep paying those charges - keeps the cost down for the rest of us! Very Happy
ski holidays
My holdall containing ski boots, ski wear and all other essentials for a week's ski holiday generally weighs between 15-18kg. And yes, I take plenty of non-ski clothing, hair straighteners, cosmetics, shoes, etc. I take enough so I don't need to do any hand washing during the week.

It does help that my holdall weighs 800g unladen. I suspect the weight of a actual luggage is the issue for most people. After all, I'm sure we all broadly take the same sort of things.
snow conditions
I struggle to keep to 20kg when it includes my skis. KLM's rather complaicate d luggage rules and extortionate carriage charges mean i have to take one bag to include skis, boots and essentials (which include soap and shampoo). My bag weighed in at 23.1 kg in Edinburgh and 25 on way home (bottles of schnapps I suspect). KLM limit is 23kg but they just sighed at my "it's the same bag" and tagged it as heavy.

Jet2 on the other hand Shocked

I think it's pretty hard to be much under the 20kg even without skis, my other non ski bag weighs almost 5kg on its own.
latest report
agw wrote:
err - because we save all those nasty excess baggage charges

Ahaaaa! So you do pack lightly just to save the 'nasty excess baggage charges' and NOT because you enjoy wearing the same clothing all week Toofy Grin

Yes, those charges are nasty and in no way representative of the cost of providing the 'service'. So I'm glad you appreciate that some of us are keeping the fares down for the rest of you. (or more likely making a bigger profit for the airline)

However, once my money has run out, I'll be following the 'travel light' advice. I'll be the guy wearing my skiwear on the plane and in the hotel all week. That way, I won't need any luggage allowance at all! Once this mode catches on, the airlines will have to make an excess luggage charge to all you others packing a bottle of shampoo to use to wash your underwear once during the week and you'll be subsidising smelly me!
ski holidays
Actually - I often find that I pack too much in the way of fleeces and apres jumpers or tops.

What do you take to get to 30Kg? Puzzled
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
My holdall containing ski boots, ski wear and all other essentials for a week's ski holiday generally weighs between 15-18kg. And yes, I take plenty of non-ski clothing, hair straighteners, cosmetics, shoes, etc. I take enough so I don't need to do any hand washing during the week.

It does help that my holdall weighs 800g unladen. I suspect the weight of a actual luggage is the issue for most people. After all, I'm sure we all broadly take the same sort of things.
I think you're right - those wheels and telescopic handles must add a couple of kilos at least.
snow report
I flew with Thompson from gatwick the other week, and they gave all our hand luggage a personal inspection
snow conditions
agw wrote:
Actually - I often find that I pack too much in the way of fleeces and apres jumpers or tops.

What do you take to get to 30Kg? Puzzled

I don't need really 30Kg, because I could get away with 25Kg.

Since you asked, the following is what I would like to take as my general hold luggage for a one week ski-holiday. I've weighed it and it equates to about 25Kg in weight:

1 No. Dakine ski-bag (yes, it has wheels and a telescopic handle )
1 No. pair ski-boots
1 No. Ski-helmet
1 No. pair of goggles
1 No. ski jacket
1 No. ski trousers
1 No. ski security lock
1 No. multi-tool screwdriver/etc. set
6 No. lightweight ski base layers
3 No. mediumweight ski base layers
6 No. pairs of underpants for skiing
6 No. pairs of ski socks
2 No pairs of jeans
7 No long-sleeve shirts
2 No. lightweight sports shirts (wear at breakfast)
7 No. pairs of underpants
7 No. pairs of socks
1 No. pair of swimming shorts
1 No. pair shoes (evening)
1 No. pair trainers (breakfast)
Toiletries;
razor
hairbrush
small shampoo
small conditoner
small shower gel
toothbrush
small toothpaste
after shave
moisturer with sun protection

If my ski-boots were accepted as part of the extortionate ski carriage charge that I am asked to pay, then the remainder would only weigh approx 19Kg - which would be perfect !
snow report
Mr Marmot, you're mad. Start staring raving mad. 6 base layers? 13 underpants? 6 pair ski socks? Jesus wept you're precious.

Carry what you like, have your bag a weigh as much as you like I don't care, but pay for the privilege and quit your bitching.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No idea who Thompson are.

Mr Marmot, that is a bit ridiculous - my brother has OCD and still manages with FAR less. Also dont bother with the swimming shorts in most french resorts - speedos or nowt! wink

Also Dixie Dean was my nan's cousin - ooooh tedious link Very Happy
snow report
Sports shirts for wearing at breakfast??? If it's fresh and new why not wear your base layer for the day??
snow report
Mr Marmot, Afraid I burst out laughing at that. You take more base layers than I possess - 13 pairs of socks, 9 ski base layers - you must be having a laugh Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I think the Marrmot is winding us up ! Shouldn't that list be laminated?
6 base layers.
Listen, let me give you some tips. After you go skiing, you get showered, bathed or whatever. Change your underpants, wear them again to go skiing the next morning. Perhaps a couple of spares might be necessary, but 13 pairs are beyond a joke.
ski holidays
How very odd - and to be honest, very weird rolling eyes
ski holidays

Hmm
snow conditions
When we do self catering then we need next to nothing luggage wise (slight exaggeration for effect) but when we used to stay in a luxury hotel in Courch 1850 then I would take 14 pairs of underwear and 14 pairs of socks and a new outfit for dinner each evening. it was my hols and I wasnt going to handwash unless necessary. The kids would need a change of clothes for each evening too as they would always spill stuff down. At the time the airlines werent so hot on crippling weight limits. Now its a new way to make folk pay. Im far more Conservative with my packing these days Laughing
snow report
Honestly, the ability to 'pack light' for a ski trip does not make you a superior human being!

I managed a month in Mongolia with 11kg including bag, tent and stove. However when not required to spend my entire holiday with my belongings on my back, and when staying in a nice chalet with friends and boyfriend, I like to take a choice of clothes! You know, something nice to wear for dinner, something to wear out, a dress or two, jeans and a hoody or two, trainer and something to go with the dress... It's a holiday and it's nice to be clean and look good! And who can be bothered to wash out clothes and have them lying out to dry in a tiny room with wet snowboarding trousers and gloves fighting for radiator space. and we've not even touched on toiletries, small amount of make up, hair straighteners and hair dryer.

My board bag is usually 15kg as is my suitcase, although to be fair the luggage itself is quite heavy. So I can easily see how you get up to 30kg!

I was thinking yesterday how much I'm looking forward to my UCPA trip because all I'll need to take is one pair of jeans and a hoody and enough tshirts as no getting dressed up for dinner and bars!

Mr Marmot, Love how people are outraged that you take enough pants and base layers for every day, probably the smallest and lightest things on your list.
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
No idea who Thompson are.

Thomson are the TUI group airline.

So the "in house" airline for Crystal, First Choice, Thomson Tour operators.
ski holidays
Mr Marmot wrote:
<ignoring>

If my ski-boots were accepted as part of the extortionate ski carriage charge that I am asked to pay, then the remainder would only weigh approx 19Kg - which would be perfect !

You get 15Kg extra for skis usually. But they don't weigh anything like that much, so effectively, your boots are included, you just don't get an extra "free" bag allowance for them (with the airlines who charge by the bag - Thomson don't)
snow report
kat.ryb, I don't think anybody's outraged - more mystified why anybody flying cheapo airlines wants take so much kit. And if I were staying in a luxury hotel in Courch 1850 and wanting to take 14 pairs of underwear and 14 pairs of socks and a new outfit for dinner each evening, like Shimmy (even though I simply can't imagine that I would) I'd want to fly something rather more luxurious that Thomson to get there - with a baggage allowance to match.
snow report
achilles, people who like to dress up on holiday like regional and/or cheap flights too Razz
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy