Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Update - Could do with a quick answer please - Flachau- closest, cheapest Petrol station please?

Poster: A snowHead
Wot it says 'ere ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We could really do with filling the car up with diesel before we set off on the motorways tomorrow. Could someone please tell us the closest, cheapest filling station to Flachau please and how to get there with the satnav?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 21-02-12 22:15; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, no idea, but if you edit your thread title so that Flachau appears on the front page, I'm sure you'll get some quick replies

Otherwise, I'd ask a local!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, I'm sure Samerberg Sue will be along in a bit with more exact info. She filled up with diesel in Wagrain, it was a fair bit cheaper than the other places I saw in the Radstadt and Flachau areas. I think it was on the road back from Wagrain towards Radstadt if that helps. Can't be far from you.

Incidentally I couldn't help but notice that diesel is much the same price as petrol in Austria, yet in the UK we are told it's 8-10p per litre more expensive because it costs more to refine. Are we being taken for mugs?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=petrol+stations+flachau
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, Got enough to get about 50km?... if so then head home and slip off at Hallein just before Salzburg.
Really easy to get to the Jet station (literally off the slip road and U turn around the round-about)... then head back on your journey.
You could also fill up with Bio Deiesel at the station just outside flachau town (the one with the erotic markt wink this is nice and cheap!

The Station in wagrain is normally pretty good but Hallein is certainly cheaper!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
queen bodecia, yes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, I'm thinking this might be the one...

http://maps.google.com/maps?pws=0&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=15365l19311l0l19638l18l18l0l4l4l1l207l1898l3.10.1l14l0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=tankstelle+wagrain&fb=1&hq=tankstelle+wagrain&cid=0,0,5418351744741124837&ei=FsM-T7O5AoWe0QXmtY2sDw&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&ved=0CCIQ_BI
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
flangesax, I bow to your superior knowledge... Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That's great - many thanks all, we are going to try and find the Hallein one. Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
queen bodecia wrote:

Incidentally I couldn't help but notice that diesel is much the same price as petrol in Austria, yet in the UK we are told it's 8-10p per litre more expensive because it costs more to refine. Are we being taken for mugs?

It is called Tax - our Gvmt put on a dirty tax as it produces particulates.

Going back to Petrol next but that is mostly due to the fact we don't drive as much now.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jake43, which seems a bit of a contradiction in terms since my car is considered 'green' (diesel average 65mpg and band A road tax, i.e. free).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yep, just think back a few years and derv was way cheaper than petrol till goverment decided it was more polluting, they added the taxes on to compensate but haven't taken them off again as diesel engines have got cleaner.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I thouught the diesel fractionation was relative fixed as a proportion of refining volume so more diesel vehicles in the UK = increased price.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flangesax, We found that one at Hallein - many thanks for the pointer - it was 17 cents a litre cheaper than anywhere else previously and if anyone else needs it we thought it was worth the short deviation down the slip road to find it - we have it marked on the satnav for the future. Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, it was even cheaper on Saturday at the Shell garage in Wagrain which was only 5 minutes drive from the apartment. The ÖMAC have a web page giving details of the prices from day to day as well as a Google map type thing with all the locations on. Saturday is always a bad day to buy fuel as the prices are put up late Friday afternoon and they stay high until Monday morning. Best days for buying fuel in resort is a Wednesday or Thursday, that's when the prices are at their lowest.
latest report
Samerberg Sue, Do the rotters really do that? Shocked I didn't even consider that they would change prices in that way - I guess they have a living to make, but it seems a tad underhand. Over here yes, you pay a premium on the motorways, but I don't think they up they prices specifically for Fridays or Bank Hols! It's certainly worth bearing in mind when we go next year - we started driving between the little ski areas so it wouldn't have been inconvenient to go searching for petrol - Thanks! FWIW I think in Hallein we paid 1.43, whereas everywhere else was charging 1.60 (bar a decimal or two)
latest report
Megamum, At least you would have got about 650Miles out of the tank in your Skoda. Interesting the Diesel is same price as over here, baring currency difference.
ski holidays
Jake43 wrote:
queen bodecia wrote:

It is called Tax - our Gvmt put on a dirty tax as it produces particulates.

Going back to Petrol next but that is mostly due to the fact we don't drive as much now.

The duty on petrol & diesel is the same - £ 0.5795 per l

It will most probably be that Austria, like most EU countries has a lower levy of duty on Diesel than on petrol.

We will get parity on prices in the next few years as the balance between diesel and petrol production becomes more weighted towards diesel
latest report
Jake43, Yup, normally a regular 650 miles in the tank. A bit less on holiday though - top box and two ski bags next to it on roof and heavily loaded with 5 occupants and gear, and up to around 80mph or so on the motorways. Still good mileage seems to happen, but it's not 650 in the tank as it is when I to and fro in the UK with nothing on board.
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue wrote:
Megamum, it was even cheaper on Saturday at the Shell garage in Wagrain which was only 5 minutes drive from the apartment. The ÖMAC have a web page giving details of the prices from day to day as well as a Google map type thing with all the locations on. Saturday is always a bad day to buy fuel as the prices are put up late Friday afternoon and they stay high until Monday morning. Best days for buying fuel in resort is a Wednesday or Thursday, that's when the prices are at their lowest.

Really? Never noticed that - will look out for it next time
ski holidays
Megamum, normal practice in both Germany and Austria. You just have to learn when not to fill up and time your visits to the petrol station accordingly. That is why the ÖMAC and ADAC have web pages that are constantly being updated to show where the prices are cheapest. As you noticed there is a huge variation in the pump prices on any given day, the highest prices are always those for the motorway services at Eben (nearest to Flachau) and Walserberg (the border crossing into Germany). As for the rest, you just keep your eyes peeled and notice the prices - diesel is always either the top price listed on the signs or the bottom one. Takes a matter of seconds and gradually you get to know where the cheapest ones are.
ski holidays
Quote:

Megamum, it was even cheaper on Saturday at the Shell garage in Wagrain which was only 5 minutes drive from the apartment.

no it wasn't.

Quote:

Saturday is always a bad day to buy fuel as the prices are put up late Friday afternoon and they stay high until Monday morning.

no they don't.

but hey... why would I have possibly actually bothered to provide decent info??... 'cos I am a share holder in Jet Hallein... that's why wink
latest report
Samerberg Sue, nice find!...

http://www.oeamtc.at/sprit/

And 'cos I am bored with achy legs and toilets to clean on a bluebird awesome day I have also spent some time clicking on a majority of petrol stations in and around the ski areas of Salzburgerland and it look slike they don't worry about hiking prices over the weekends afterall.... phew!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 22-02-12 11:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
flangesax, actually it was as I looked on the day! Hallein was 2 cents a litre more expensive and in the red figures - those listed in green are the below average ones. The cheapest was your fav near the airport as usual and the Hofer in St Johann.
snow report
flangesax, Samerberg Sue, still at least we avoided paying top whack for it which was a good thing Very Happy
latest report
just edited whilst you other bored chaps were typing ^^

editing again as I am looking for only a very little hat to eat... now where was it???
ski holidays
flangesax, is your fave near the airport the BP one?
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, I think it is the one at the Metro/Aldi where you have to pay by card (i.e. no cashiers). I've never found it although I have seen it from the autobahn! It is a no-name place if that is the correct one.

flangesax, how's the indigestion? wink Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samerberg Sue, I've still got a tail and I am still facing you... but the tummy hurts!!

We tend to go to the Jet whihc is a little past the airport towards the city, mainly 'cos we hardly ever remember our bank card!

Thanks to that link though it seems that St.Johann is the place to go!
ski holidays
flangesax, The BP one that you can see straight ahead, at the junction where you turn right for the airport (near the designer outlet) is pretty cheap and convenient
snow report
flangesax, Trouble is that it is only open when the Hofer is, so no cheapies on a Sunday for example or late night. Sad It does influence the prices in and around St Jo though, the two Jet places especially and the Shell in Wagrain, and they are open 24/7, plus you get the extra discount if you are a member of the ÖMAC or ADAC. That might also apply to AA member card holders as they are all part of a Pan-European allaiance. I get the discount with my German card in Austria.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy