Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A Question of Layers - what to wear in March

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All - off the the 3 valleys in mid March and I have a question about what to wear!

My skiing experience is limited to skiing in the depths of January when its bloody cold so I need some guidance on how to layer in March when it should be a bit more spring like!

In January I have always worn a base layer, a technical polartec fleece mid and a non insulated gore tex outer shell and never felt cold......I know each day in March will most likely be different temperatures and conditions but what do people normally wear??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Non thermal base layer, a football shirt (Spurs if you must know) and shell jacket is enough for me.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
speedy, I wear the same sort of layers as you in cold. In March/April, I would wear midlayer and insulated jacket often with a light baselayer vest top if there might be an opportunity for sunbathing at lunchtime Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hard to say really. Last year I was skiing in the 3 Valleys in March in a T shirt and shell. But temps at the moment are very cold so that would not be sufficient. Why dont you just take what you would normally take for skiing in January and layer up/down as appropriate?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Why dont you just take what you would normally take for skiing in January and layer up/down as appropriate?

+1. It's not always cold in January, or warm in March.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dude

two layers and a shell

ok bye
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shorts and t-shirt if really hot. More if colder! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I take a small backpack so you can take excess layers off
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wife beater and budgie smugglers. Maybe a shell if the weather looks a bit parky.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This was March. There's a house under there......
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Why dont you just take what you would normally take for skiing in January and layer up/down as appropriate?

+1. It's not always cold in January, or warm in March.

+1
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, good grief, where's that?!

+ another one for layering up/down from January kit. Like Lou, I wear the OP's cold weather layers when it's warm!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

good grief, where's that?!

That buried hut is opposite our apartment in Bisanne 1500 (Les Saisies). That guy (who runs our chairlift) doesn't bother to clear more than a way in - I suppose the snow insulates the palce! This was the path we'd cleared, after another foot or so overnight snowfall had partly filled it in. I think it was March 2007. It wasn't as cold as it is out there at the moment, but obviously with all that fresh snow it wasn't budgie smuggling weather, either. It was cold enough for the snow to stick around a good long time; there was tons left when the resort closed around 25 April.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
speedy, As others have said it will depend day to day, I've skied in 3 layers in march and also t shirt & jacket on others.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w,
Quote:

budgie smuggling weather

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
T shirt and shell, with a thin fleece if it gets cold in a backpack (unless it's obviously cold int he morning).
ski holidays
Sounds like you already have a good system, I'd keep it and lose the fleece or the outer shell if too hot
snow report
Surely the answer is 'whatever the weather requires'? In the words of Clarkson, there is no such thing as good or bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Nearer the time you will have a good idea what the weather is like and sort then. For the moment, chill Toofy Grin
latest report
pam w wrote:
it wasn't budgie smuggling weather, either. .

huh? Sounds like something Richard Gere might be accused of.
snow conditions
I was responding to fatbob's suggestion above. wink
ski holidays
Gainz wrote:
Non thermal base layer, a football shirt (Spurs if you must know) and shell jacket is enough for me.

We didnt need to know, because everytime I see the word Spurs I feel sick after yesterdays 5-0 loss to you Sad
latest report
SpencerJT, you feel sick, I bet 6-0 Spurs win, Saha hat-trick, Assou-ekotto first goal. If Saha scored 1 more goal I would have won £3 grand Crying or Very sad
snow report
In the words of Clarson I couldnt give a toss about football.
snow report
I've skied in 5 layers in March, when it was -15 c , but also in a strappy top (plus factor 30 cream for lunchtime sunbathing) one base layer and a shell jacket when it was hot. I suspect you're male and thus probably do not feel the cold like us girlies do so one layer might be enough!
Listen to the forecast, look out of the window, go outside and feel the air on your way to buy the bread and then decide. In Les Arcs where we mainly ski it is about 5-8 degrees c cooler every 1000m you go up - if it's 0 at 1800m where we live, it could be -5c to -10c at the top of the mountain, but at the bottom it might be +5 or more if it's sunny. Remember it might rain rather than snow at low altitude later in the season so a waterproof jacket is helpful.
For sun - you'll need cream in March which you probably don't use in January - buy your sun cream in resort and you will have a better choice at similar prices to UK and nicer products too. And if you are "follically challenged" don't forget your head. Enjoy. snowHead
ski holidays
Clarkson's just a plagarist. The comment has been around a lot longer than he.
snow report
speedy, Is it going to be cold at the Top?
snow conditions
Quote:

buy your sun cream in resort and you will have a better choice at similar prices to UK

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled hum most UK places this time of year or during Jan have high factor sun screen at give away prices, I picked up a 250ml facotr 50 the other day for £3.99 and it was a good brandas well.

But a couple of years ago I forgot my lip cream and ended up paying 6 Euros for a basic one in resort Twisted Evil
snow report
snowyowl, while I agree that the pharmacy at 1800 is very good (I spent a fair bit of money there last April for one reason or another Toofy Grin ) I do think suncream is considerably cheaper in the UK. It's sometimes hard to get the 'mountain' ones which go a little further to protect from wind & cold and come in handy size - I quite like Ambre Solaire UV Ski but I bought some on ebay last week.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy