Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Magazine

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know when the Daily Mail Ski and Snowboard Magazine is due out? I seem to recall in previous years that it is usually on the shelves by the third week in August.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well I don't know about the magazine but their website launches on September the 15th so that might give you an indication of when it's likely to be
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Peter B, yeah, it normally is in August, with the last mag in February, but I believe they are running September-March this year.
I have the publication date at home - I'll post it later.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I only have this through the grapevine, but it appears that advertising is being particularly hard fought for this autumn. If ski magazines are delaying their first issues that would be a symptom.

Advertising in ski magazines tends to peak in the November-December period. My understanding is that the large format 'Snow' magazine, which you get for free in ski shops etc. has an ABC-audited circulation figure this year for the first time and is winning advertising from the paid-for magazines. I've not been into a major WH Smith recently, but that may be the first magazine out.
One of the key indicators of how things are is 'Who's sponsoring the Daily Mail Ski Show'? This involves big sponsorship money. Does anyone know yet?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith wrote:
One of the key indicators of how things are is 'Who's sponsoring the Daily Mail Ski Show'? This involves big sponsorship money. Does anyone know yet?

The website here says the show is being run 'in association with lastminute.com'
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
it will be on sale the 15th september.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith, THIS MEANS THAT JWAZZERS WILL GET FREE TICKETS . . . YES!
life is sweet Madeye-Smiley Time to drop Suz a mail
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can somebody explain to me what/who jwazz is? And why will they get free DMSS tickets? And can I have one please?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
rob@rar.org.uk, http://www.ifyouski.com/forums/jwaz

Warning, it's 99% mindless cack rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
brian wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, http://www.ifyouski.com/forums/jwaz

Warning, it's 99% mindless cack rolling eyes

99%? brian, I can tell you're a generous man Wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
but who will be buying it as the 'news section' is out of date by the time it hits the press due to the www and they always have the same old format each year
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
Can somebody explain to me what/who jwazz is?

That's one of those inponderable big questions. It's unlikely anyone can explain jwazz.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The key word is a = abuse. Everything else is possible. Not a site for the thin skinned or our Nade Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yesterday was the first time I've seen it, although have wondered what it was all about when it is occasionally mentioned here. 'Why?' was the only thought that I came away with.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar.org.uk, Does your brain ask your a*** why it f**ts? No, it just performs a function as does the 'zone' Little Angel
latest report
Masque, that is a very fair point. Now that I've seen jwazz I should be grateful that it provides a very necessary funtion of keeping that kind of entertainment from clogging up other snow-related forums Smile
ski holidays
Back to the original question ... any ski magazines been published yet for the coming season?
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
.....I've not been into a major WH Smith recently.....

Just realised that the only place I buy magazines at now - and that's very occasionally - is Tesco. For better or worse, that's how it is with many, I suspect.
snow report
More importantly, anyone got hold of a ski magazine this month. I'm pretty sure Daily Mail Ski & Snowboard do a September edition??
snow conditions
BrightonSki,
Quote:

Back to the original question ... any ski magazines been published yet for the coming season?

The second issue of Powder has just dropped through this Brighton letter box. I spoke to Dickie, the publisher of Fallline a few weeks back and he said they were aiming for a mid September first issue.
ski holidays
Thanks Steve, i'll look out for Falline over the next couple of weeks.
latest report
Daily Mail Ski Mag dropped through door in this mornings post. Haven't had time to read it yet. Seems large. B2 get's the best rating in their Freeride Ski test (see other thread!)
snow report
Got mine this morning .
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Next time im bored i will pop into the newsagents have a read
latest report
stevew, Punters magazine, promoting punter skis, no news there then wink
snow report
snowbunny, On behalf of the so-called "punters' magazine" I need to make a small correction. What stevew omitted to mention was that the Rossi B2s were only voted top in the "Freeride Advanced" test. In "Freeride Expert" and "Big Mountain Freeride", other models were judged "testers' favourites".
snow conditions
Martin Bell, Thanks, I had stopped buying DM Ski a long time ago, because of it's predictability. My use of the term "punter" in this context is not intended to be derogatory, simply a collective term denoting the expected demographic of the readership and their skiing expectations. Quite another can of worms is what criteria identifies an "Advanced" skier or ski.
snow report
Could someone list the main contents of the first issue of Daily Mail ski, and any points of interest?
Cheers
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I stopped buying the DMSM when I couldn't find the editorial content because of the advertising and the advertorial. I felt that +£3.00 was rather a lot of money for a nicely bound collection of adverts. Sad
ski holidays
I wish snowHeads was nicely bound. I find that all the pages fall out.
latest report
David Goldsmith,

Quote:

I wish snowHeads was nicely bound. I find that all the pages fall out.

and some times with each other Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:

My use of the term "punter" in this context is not intended to be derogatory, simply a collective term denoting the expected demographic of the readership and their skiing expectations.

Sounds pretty derogatory to me, snowbunny! Personally I think it is one of the better ski mags out there, and my opinion is in no way influenced by having won a pair of skis off them NehNeh

I must dig out the latest copy of "Ski Like God" magazine and read what they have got to say about "punters".....
ski holidays
'Punters' was a word much used on Cairngorm when I worked there in the mid 1970s. There were workers and there were 'punters'. I've noticed the word 'gapers' used on US ski forums, which I guess is roughly the same thing.

Skiing, which is an elitist pursuit in itself, creates its own strata of worthiness in terms of performers. Punters are those who ski like gapers. Long may they thrive because they generate the ticket revenues that provide ski gods with the means to access serious skiing. The Daily Mail, a punter's newspaper (with a rather murky history), would naturally produce a punter's (i.e. mainstream) magazine.

Unless I'm mistaken, no ski magazine in Britain has ever made money, but the Daily Mail magazine (which must be over 20 years old now) will probably achieve profitability one day if it hits the right buttons. The problem has always been that skiers don't go into newsagents and are very discriminating about what they want to read. Therefore, even if they find a ski magazine, they will probably resent forking out whatever it costs to buy one.

The internet will reign supreme, because it's free and doesn't involve printers, distributors and newsagents. It's also a superior source of unbiased information, available at the touch of a search button.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
The internet will reign supreme, because it's free and doesn't involve printers, distributors and newsagents. It's also a superior source of unbiased information, available at the touch of a search button.

I agree, which is why this:
Quote:
the Daily Mail magazine (which must be over 20 years old now) will probably achieve profitability one day if it hits the right buttons

must be getting more and more difficult? I used to read every issue of the DM Ski Magazine and the Ski Club's Ski Magazine, but in the last two or three years I doubt I've bought either magazine on more than a couple of occasions.
latest report
Quote:

skiers don't go into newsagents
Well you would look a bit odd wearing your Atomics to buy a Chunky KitKat and a lotto ticket Very Happy
snow conditions
ben wright wrote:
Quote:

skiers don't go into newsagents
Well you would look a bit odd wearing your Atomics to buy a Chunky KitKat and a lotto ticket Very Happy

Are you suggesting that I look odd?
ski holidays
Quote:

Are you suggesting that I look odd?
Yes. Everyone knows you don't start wearing your skis to the shops until the last week of September. It's flippers and a snorkel until then.
latest report
Quote:

I stopped buying the DMSM when I couldn't find the editorial content because of the advertising and the advertorial. I felt that +£3.00 was rather a lot of money for a nicely bound collection of adverts.

boredsurfin,

Me too. I bought it once, and never bought it again, for exactly the same reason.

Of course, its association with the Daily Fascist wasn't a great encouragement, either.
latest report
the ice perv, If you look back through the threads, on this site, you will see that the B2, has been described as "the ultimate punter ski", and "almost the official snowHead ski" at the EOSB, since so many snowHead own a pair. That fact alone will give them punter status, simply because of their versatility. The term "punter" has differing connotations in different countries/regions. Had I been more eloquent, there would have been less confusion. Little Angel
snow conditions
A little bit of magazine here

SkiSnowboardOct05
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy