Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

National Geographic World's 25 best ski towns

Poster: A snowHead
I've never skied in North America but that's where the majority are...apparently.

http://adventure.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/trips/best-ski-towns-photos/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, it's NATIONAL Geographic, not International Geographic........................
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Acacia wrote:
Well, it's NATIONAL Geographic, not International Geographic........................
Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kelskii, Most Americans (well, citizens of the USA) haven't ever been outside the USA at all, let alone skied there. Therefore they are bound to have a rather parochial view.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have skied 9 out of the 25 and 3 of them in America.

I can live with the claim "25 best Ski towns". It is all about "town" and got nothing to do with the skiing. It is a clever way to avoid talking about size, space, chairlifts and distance of the resorts.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have been to all of them, some many times & even seasons Happy As the last poster said its about SkiTowns.

Seriously American Bias.

If they referenced to Europe they could of put the citys of...

Munich
Zurich
Grenoble
Innsbruck
Milan

However, in there list I would not put Taos or Whistler in there.

Taos is a sprawling place where you need a car, zero amtosphere.

Whistler, purpose built no atmosphere.

Im glad Vail is not in there.

They seem to of admitted

Jindabyne OZ
Queenstown NZ
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Laughing This is the Worlds Best Ski Towns from the guys who bring you the World Series.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well said Pam Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
..and of course, don't forget the New York Giants are the world champions after Sunday's Superbowl win. I was in the US during the Lillehammer Olympics. If there wasn't an American competing, it just wasnt reported. Almost as if it didn't happen. To be honest, I'm quite impressed there are any outside the US at all rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It was an interssting list. In that I had not even heard of some of them in North America. But the description that really fascinated me wsa the description of the Whistler ski area as "A gargantuan ski resort" Unless they have extended the Whistler/Blackcomb area since I was there I wouold describe it as Medium size.

It is good however to read how others perceive skiing and ski resorts (which is why I read this forum).

I notice that the picture of skiing in Cortina shows a skier on the Eastern side of the Tre Cima near Misurina. How did he get there? There are no lifts in that area.

John
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That was an interesting list until I got to Mt. Tremblant in at no. 13 - I mean Seriously?! the 13th best ski town in THE WORLD!?!?!

I can make allowances for the North American bias of the article given that it was in National Geographic but Mt. Tremblant has almost nothing to recommend it!

If you want to stand in a lift queue for 45 minutes and nearly freeze to death from the arctic temps (this was in March/April) then it's right up there. If your idea idea of good on-mountain food is awful and expensive mush served up from a canteen in the style of an inner-city comprehensive school c.1984 then it also competes. If you're after a purpose built resort with Hollywood-set-style "traditional" facades in front of generic concrete block hotels then it's a winner here too - even the famously good North American (inc. Canada) attitude to hospitality and service is completely absent for Brits - the Quebecois are not at all friendly to us. If you speak French, you're in with a chance - but you'll have to listen patiently while they insult you several times en Francais having assumed you won't understand!

Sorry for the rant but really, do not, ever, consider going to Tremblant for a ski holiday!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jma in the article they do say to go there for the European feel Laughing

Quote:
Best For: Croissant-loving skiers and snowboarders looking for European ambiance without the overseas flight
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Been to 16 of the 25 ski towns.

Spent winters at three of them - Park City, Whitefish, Niseko (Hirafu).

The three I've spent winters at I would highly recommend.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Seriously, Kitz over St Anton/Ischgl for Austria???!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Glencoe appears ot be missing from the list. Puzzled
ski holidays
I'd suspect the bias in the article is also influenced by what you measure a "ski town" as. IMV it's certainly not a "resort only" but somewhere you can live year round where you can know a decent number of people and the residents are seriously into their skiing. This is what qualifies Fernie, Whiitefish etc in my book but rules out French mega resorts which die at the end of April etc.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy