Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Honest opinions of Hotel Grand Claviere run by Crystal please

Poster: A snowHead
Want to confirm a ski hol for 2013 for either Jan or beginning of Feb. Need it to be as cheap as poss. Looking at Grand Hotel Claviere, but alot of negative reviews. We will be 2 adults a 6 year old (3rd season skiing) and a 2 year old. What comments do you have on this place if any. The deal seems good. Have skied that area before and it's ok. going to flaine this year and the cost is right to go back for next year, but we might not even like it. Esprit just seems so expensive. If we do go esprit we were thinking of the family chalet in Selva the one for 4 - 6 people. Really scratching my head over this and what to do. Don't want to risk last minute as there might not be childcare available. Opinions please.............
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This may or may not help....
We've not actually stayed in the Hotel Grand Claviere but we've used the childcare and met friends in the bar there. This was about 3 years ago. In my view, Claviere as a whole is a bit rundown and under-invested compared to most other places I've been. Infrastructure, both skiing and the own in general, seemed a bit out-dated even compared to Montgenevre just down the road. The Hotel Grand Claviere, or at least the public areas I've seen, was similarly just a 'bit' run down. The bar are was quite nice but corridors and stairs etc were a bit grubby. I never saw the rooms but our friends had no complaints. The childcare are was large, dark (in the cellar) but birhgtly decorated. Childcare staff were excellent and tried to get the kids outside if weather allowed. Our kids were happy in there. The ski out from the hotel to the lfits was flat and there was some poling/skating involved. I can't really remember the ski in from the Claviere slopes to the hotel which suggests it was straightforward.

There is some really nice skiing in Claviere, particularly when including Montgenevre, and restaurant 'Kilt' sells the best pizza in the world (fact!).

I'd like to go back to Claviere one day and would stay in the Grand Hotel Claviere if the price was right.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We stayed there a few years ago, and can echo some of the above. Even then it needed some tarting up!
The evening meal is enough to fill you up, but not really up to much, although that will obviously depend on the staff this year.
All in all yes it is cheap, if you want 4* then you have to pay for it!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I feel i can add value here having literally just ( sunday ) returned from a second trip to this hotel in 12 months ( give or take a week )
and we have a 7 year old so can rate the childcare.

Will try to add a full on trip report later

The hotel is a little bit tired in decor, but other than that is fine.

Some of the rooms are a little small - but as there are 4 of you you should be OK as you will be in one of the
4 bed rooms which are a lot larger anyhow.

Bathrooms are fine, just nothing special to look at.Beds comfortable

The childcare is excellent, the girls ( and boys) do every thing they can to ensure that the kids have fun and are happy.
the facilities for childcare are great - they have access to the entire basement area ( its NOT underground)
and has plenty of windows, they have access to large areas for playing in the snow, and get the kids out at least once a day ( and
thats for kids that go to ski school).

They take kids to ski school, and collect them, always being on time, and the ski school will call for kids to be collected early if required
( usually because they are cold, tired), and the team turn out to get them with little delay.

ski school tuition for kids is eclellent too

They run an excellent Pyjama / Snuggle club, with games, DVD's and planty of crafts as well.

Kids can either have tea at 17:30 as a group or with parents.
The food was excellent, cannot fault any of it, and thats the second year running ( its gone all inclusive now)
which is great for a packed lunch and all you can drink too.

The ski area rivals flaine ( stayed with crystal at totem) , and you can pop over to france too so there is plenty to do.

I would Happily return again for a third year on the trot , as still planty to ski, and I know that the child care is good too. - In fact we may see you there as probably as this year Esprit will have got too expensive
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gazza2, Since we are off to this very place on Sunday, can I encourage you to give your full report. We are not taking kids (I assume you don't count a 22 year old, but Linds, might pass for one) but as an ex-teacher, I love kids so that doesn't bother me. What's the beer like? Apart from free, that is!

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chris Bish wrote:
gazza2, Since we are off to this very place on Sunday, can I encourage you to give your full report. We are not taking kids (I assume you don't count a 22 year old, but Linds, might pass for one) but as an ex-teacher, I love kids so that doesn't bother me. What's the beer like? Apart from free, that is!

snowHead

Chris B I am still young at heart Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Linds, Let's just hope there isn't a height gauge to see who passes for the free beer!

I am encouraged by the idea that it is some sort of ski-in-ski-out though. I was expecting a trudge to lifts.

snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
trip report in the reviews section

Yes you can ski in/out - there is a little walk to clear the carpark then you can get down the road ( at the moment from the car park of the hotel as the road is covered in snow)
otherwise you have to walk around the corner to the apartments car park, and then ski past the Ice rink, on the little exit road

( the ice rink is cleared of snow daily, so you can easily see how much snow has fallen when the owner starts to clear up )

if you come down the red run to clavirer off the fist lift you come to ( the top one ) then you can ski back to the hotel by going around the back, but is a bit tricky.

you can drink yourself silly on the inclusive beer - and its all reasonable stuff too and it will not cost you a penny , and the head bar girl is friendly, an helpful too

as i said in my report we had over 2 foot of snow in 30 hours on thursday last week
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chris Bish wrote:
gazza2, Since we are off to this very place on Sunday,

Where's the 'dislike' button... Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bertie bassett wrote:
Chris Bish wrote:
gazza2, Since we are off to this very place on Sunday,

Where's the 'dislike' button... Smile

Well if you do arrange to do your sailing thing in the ski season rolling eyes Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I can't honestly comment as although I have been there for drinks in the bar I haven't actually stayed there - my youngest is working there this season and we were in Claviere over Christmas to visit we didn't think it was fair to stay in the same place.

The hotel does seem to be a bit tired, lacks a bit atmosphere (whene we were there) and is slightly institutionalised in appearance in the bar area but talking to the punters who were there whilst we were there they seemed very happy. I don't think you can expect haute cuisine but the food seems hearty and plenty of it.

From what I heard from the staff they were getting pretty good responses on their CSQs (Customer Service Questionairres) that people have to fill in at the end of the week.

As to any inside info...well that would be telling, wouldn't it !

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 17-01-12 7:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dsoutar, if your youngest is working there then they are doing a good job - all the staff that I met were great.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gazza2, - I'll pass on your compliments. Thanks. They like to play hard but I think they work hard too.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just got back from a superb week at this place and really enjoyed the friendly, lighthearted and professional efforts of the young staff to make the holiday exceptional. Yes, the place is no palace, but it is as good as ski-in ski-out and the food was great, the free bar amazing and the rooms spacious. The supply of hot water was fine and the company superb. I have never been in a more friendly place.

dsoutar, Your youngster is, as if you needed telling, a delightful and charming young woman and loving her part in a team that knows it is doing a great job. They were of the opinion we were a good bunch of guests too, and no, I don't think they say that to all the girls!

One or two personals, firstly to Dylan and Paula, I forgot you would be on a diffferent flight to us and missed the chance to say goodbye. Thanks for your company and hope to ski with you again one day. Thanks to Dave for getting out with us on Sunday and to Stuart for banter. To the Mid-Wales ski club, you too were great company and if Dylan was a bit dismissive of the singing, I thought Land of my Fathers was great.

If Simon Cross, reads this. Crystal - it was excellent.

snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Stayed there 2007. The hotel was ok (not good) but staff were excellent and food tasty. Would I stay again -no. Claviere itself did not rock my boat at all. Quite a few people in here love the place but personally not for me. The hotel for me summed up claviere - ie needed a fair amount of upgrading
snow conditions
boabski, I'm equally ambivalent about Claviere and Montgenevre. We've visited on a couple of occasions from Serre Chevalier. Claviere wins for the Italian food at lunchtime though.
ski holidays
Hells Bells, I think we were unlucky with the food in the restaurants (had to meet the kids at lunch from ski school) which I thought was on a par with motorway food. Pay for your food first - take receipt to food counter - get food - take remainder of receipt to drink counter - get drink. As soon as we skied to Montgenevre, everything inproved instantly - the infrastructure, the food, the signposting on pistes. Claviere is the only ski resort I would choose not to return to.
snow conditions
As Hells Bells, knows we spend a lot of time over in Claviere & Montegenevre - I was first introduced to Claviere by guides from La Grave went we went on a few road trips exploring other off piste areas some 15 years ago, and have been going back ever since - and Claviere has stacks of potential off piste.

IF we're picking up / taking friends to Turin we always try and incorporate a ski over there, and or take people up there for a day.

In fact last year on a Snowheads Off piste trip think it's fair to say that some of the guys that came with me on a few runs in Montgenevre when the "guides" were having lunch and we had a great couple of runs.

I've been to the hotel once, but a long time ago when my twins were 7 or 8 can't really remember - think we made up a group of about four of five families, and a great time was had.

Claviere also has some great tree skiing and open bowl descents, great thing is that is does not get skied out, as most people stick to the piste.

And then the other reason is that there is a very good restaurant there, we're not ones for lunch, but we do go there for a treat - it can be a little difficult to find if you don't know where it is exactly - but this should help http://www.claviere.it/en/the-village/restaurant-and-bars/restaurants/115-bar-ristorante-pub-gallo-cedrone.html

I know what you mean about Claviere being tired etc, but that is the charm of the place, but can see where you're coming from if there for a week. That said if you're in family mode you're not going to be out partying and the like- and it is cheaper than Montgenevre for eating & drinking etc

Enjoy
snow conditions
Chris Bish wrote:

If Simon Cross, reads this. Crystal - it was excellent.

I do skim every once in a while. Been a busy few weeks this Jan.
Thanks for the feedback.
snow conditions
Chris Bish, finally caught up with you! Thanks to you all for your company, I hope I wasn't too slow for you.

As for Hotel G-C it was OK, typical Crystal hotel really. Our 3 1/2 year old son loved the "club" though and would have brought it home if he could. The child-care on our next trip will have a lot to live up to. Been to the Totem in Flaine too, a much larger, busier establishment and preferred Hotel G-C to that. Now, if some nice ales could be sourced for the free bar.......

Cheers, Dylan.
ski holidays
jd_evans, Welcome to snowHeads. I note that you are doing your own ski-servicing now. A bit of nonsense about helmets, a reference or two to winter tyres and you are on the way to being fully-fledged!

snowHead
latest report
Higs wrote:
There is some really nice skiing in Claviere, particularly when including Montgenevre, and restaurant 'Kilt' sells the best pizza in the world (fact!).

best pizza I've ever had was in Montgenvre, one of the restaurants opposite the slopes, near the main ticket office. Don't know what it was called, but do the remember the pizza... Pizza Bolognaise - perfection!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy